New high-res photos of black, white 'iPad mini' and next-gen iPhone dock connector cables

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Fresh pictures posted on Friday claim to show both the "iPad mini" and next-gen iPhone's dock connector flex cables side-by-side, with the images hinting that Apple will launch the smaller tablet in both white and black colorways.

The high quality photos from repair site iResQ claim to be of the internal flex cables bound for Apple's sixth-generation iPhone and much-rumored 7-inch iPad.

Flex Cables
Side-by-sie comparison of alleged "iPad mini" (left) and next-gen iPhone (right) flex cables. | Source: iResQ

Of note are the white and black dock connector and headphone jack surroundings, which give clues that Apple is planning on releasing both black and white versions of the smaller iPad on launch. The move isn't surprising given all of the company's iDevices are offered in at least those two colors.

White iPhone Connector
Close-up of the next-gen iPhone's 9-pin dock connector, in white. | Source: iResQ

Clearly seen in one of the new high-resolution images is a white version of the next-generation iPhone's 9-pin dock connector. AppleInsider recently reported the 8 gold pins seen on the part will work in conjunction with the surrounding metal shell, which will also acts as a contact, bringing the total count of contacts up to nine. According to sources, the new layout will enhance data throughput while bringing down the size of the part by some 60 percent.

Also of interest is the headphone jack location, which now resides very close to the 9-pin connector on both flex cables, offering further evidence that Apple is revamping the plug's positioning to the bottom of the devices much like the iPod touch. Currently, the iPhone 4S and New iPad have headphone jacks located at the top of the unit.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 122
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

"iPad mini" part, but the headphone jack is no further away from the Dock Connector 2 than the iPhone's part is… Seems more like an iPod touch's part, but as there's less to jam in that case than the iPhone's, the parts can have more leeway.

• Reply 2 of 122
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member

I am still going to stand by my theory that the 7" device is going to be the new iPod Touch. Makes sense to me as it avoids all the controversy on how SJ said a 7" iPad did not make sense. 

• Reply 3 of 122

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"iPad mini" part, but the headphone jack is no further away from the Dock Connector 2 than the iPhone's part is… Seems more like an iPod touch's part, but as there's less to jam in that case than the iPhone's, the parts can have more leeway.

When I saw the pictures I thought the same thing, this is no "smaller iPad" part.

• Reply 4 of 122
    I saw a drawing somewhere of a dock that used both the new connector and the headphone jack to support the device. If that was the case, the headphone jack would be the same distance from the new dock connector on each device, surely?

Of course, the drawing was pure speculation but it's an idea to consider.
  • Reply 5 of 122

Quote:

Originally Posted by newcode View Post

I saw a drawing somewhere of a dock that used both the new connector and the headphone jack to support the device. If that was the case, the headphone jack would be the same distance from the new dock connector on each device, surely?

I agree.  All devices will use the same dock connector / headphone jack combo.  Analog audio will go out via the headphone jack - the new 18 pin connector won't support that anymore.

Although that makes me wonder if the connector is really reversible, as folks have been asserting.  It would seem to be keyed, due to the placement of the headphone jack.  That would be interesting, since 18 pins opens up a lot of connectivity options.  Thunderbolt?

• Reply 6 of 122

Why is everyone forgetting the fact that they basically confirmed they are transitioning ALL iDevices to the new dock connector at once?

The image with the larger ribbon could easily be for the current generation iPad (3rd Generation). This doesn't add any evidence of a new device what so ever.

• Reply 7 of 122

Not to be a hater, but that is a lot of cabling...  I would think they would have had a more efficent city planning by now that would minimize roadwork.  Consider how beautiful the board layout for the macbook retina is.

• Reply 8 of 122

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunspot42 View Post

I agree.  All devices will use the same dock connector / headphone jack combo.  Analog audio will go out via the headphone jack - the new 18 pin connector won't support that anymore.

Although that makes me wonder if the connector is really reversible, as folks have been asserting.  It would seem to be keyed, due to the placement of the headphone jack.  That would be interesting, since 18 pins opens up a lot of connectivity options.  Thunderbolt?

The new dock will absolutely be orientation independent. Assuming these are real it's obvious from the shape of the port.

• Reply 9 of 122

Well, well, the iPad mini parts are finally leaking out. I have a hunch that the iPad mini will be ANNOUNCED in Sep 12th along with the latest iPhone, but, unlike the latest iPhone, the smaller iPad won't ship immediately. What Apple will do is suppress all brand X 7" sales for a month or two while they gear up the production of the iPad mini to full speed. This has a dual benefit to Apple, (1) screw up their competitor's sales, while (2) building a huge pent-up demand for the Apple product. As a bonus, Apple will get millions of dollars of free attention which will bury the competition's ads down into the background noise. 

One brand to rule them all!!

• Reply 10 of 122

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torvalus View Post

Why is everyone forgetting the fact that they basically confirmed they are transitioning ALL iDevices to the new dock connector at once?

The image with the larger ribbon could easily be for the current generation iPad (3rd Generation). This doesn't add any evidence of a new device what so ever.

Well, unless these are elastic ribbon cables they are not gonna stretch an additional 3" to 4" to do the job in both sized iPads. 

• Reply 11 of 122
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunspot42 View Post

I agree.  All devices will use the same dock connector / headphone jack combo.  Analog audio will go out via the headphone jack - the new 18 pin connector won't support that anymore. Although that makes me wonder if the connector is really reversible, as folks have been asserting.  It would seem to be keyed, due to the placement of the headphone jack.  That would be interesting, since 18 pins opens up a lot of connectivity options.  Thunderbolt?

The new docking port will probably be reversible. The 8-pin to 30-pin ADAPTOR, however, probably will not be, as I suspect it will use the audio plug connections to support the current audio, microphone, and control pins on the older 30-pin jack.

• Reply 12 of 122
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    kent909 wrote: »
    I am still going to stand by my theory that the 7" device is going to be the new iPod Touch. Makes sense to me as it avoids all the controversy on how SJ said a 7" iPad did not make sense. 

That doesn't make sense. Logically, it fits as a smaller iPad but not as a large iPod Touch.

In fact, to some extent, Apple needs a break from Jobs worship.
  • Reply 13 of 122

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

The new docking port will probably be reversible. The 8-pin to 30-pin ADAPTOR, however, probably will not be, as I suspect it will use the audio plug connections to support the current audio, microphone, and control pins on the older 30-pin jack.

Actually, I'm not so sure about the reversible bit anymore.  Reports are trickling in that the port only has 9 pins - it's one-sided.  So, no 18 pins, and not reversible.  Any analog audio would have to come from the headphone jack.

• Reply 14 of 122

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

When I saw the pictures I thought the same thing, this is no "smaller iPad" part.

This was no boating accident!

Sorry. Had a flashback. Carry on. 

• Reply 15 of 122

Ahhhh.

Again,

I state and maintain that Apple will NOT be releasing an iPad Mini.

This is NEVER EVER going to happen.

At most,

Apple will be releasing the Next Generation iPod Touch.

• Reply 16 of 122

Quote:

conjecture or not... this eliminates the need for the analog audio pins on new connector.  Makes sense a std dock connector, and for an audio/video adaptor cable.

• Reply 17 of 122
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member

I wonder why Apple is moving the headset jack to the bottom of the next iPhone.  It makes me wonder if there will be a headset plug facing up from the bottom of the next iPhone dock, to plug in the base as a mic/headset when the dock connects.

• Reply 18 of 122
    rainrain Posts: 538member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

In fact, to some extent, Apple needs a break from Jobs worship.

shhhhhhh... did you guys hear that?

I swear I heard the voice of Tallest Shill echoing across the plains and over the mountains.... "troooooooll"

• Reply 19 of 122
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member

Quote:

D'oh!  I should have read through other comments before I posted mine.  We're thinking the same thing, more or less.  Yes, surely the distance would be the same for each kind of device (meaning, iPhone/iPod versus iPad/iPad mini.

• Reply 20 of 122

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

Ahhhh.

Again,

I state and maintain that Apple will NOT be releasing an iPad Mini.

This is NEVER EVER going to happen.

At most,

Apple will be releasing the Next Generation iPod Touch.

a 7.0" iPod touch with an RD screen (2X)?