AT&T to require new Mobile Share data plans for FaceTime calls over cellular

Comments

• Reply 41 of 105
    *shrug* Bring it on.

The more they try to do stuff like this, the faster they're speeding themselves to their legal demise. Eventually everything they're doing here is going to come crashing down, people fired/jailed, monopolies torn apart, and they'll have only themselves to blame.

Completely agree - I will be switching to Verizon service with my iPhone 5. Not just fee structure but also the apparent inability of AT&T to keep their service at an acceptable level of consistency and reliability.
  • Reply 42 of 105
    Aww, you should have used Ç… Then I could have made a great pun about "pardon your French"… 

LMFAO!! I'll change and thanks for the tip!! ;)

Update: Done. Again thanks! LMFAO!
  • Reply 43 of 105
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

They want to charge extra to use FaceTime when I already pay per GB? Stupid as could be. Sticking to Skype.

• Reply 44 of 105
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Funny to read comments where nearly every poster is totally confused. All he shared data stories have been like that. I is quite easy to understand. They don't want you cutting into your mobile minutes (foolish on their part since they make more off data than minutes). Since only a fool would have unlimited voice without a shared data plan (it costs a lot more), they make it shared data only. It is a bit foolish on their part, but it is not really bad for consumers.

Anyone who has a family, an iPad, or uses tethering will be on shared data anyway.
  • Reply 45 of 105
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    jd_in_sb wrote: »
    They want to charge extra to use FaceTime when I already pay per GB? Stupid as could be. Sticking to Skype.

Did you even read the headline or the story? They do not want to do that at all.
  • Reply 46 of 105
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    *shrug* Bring it on.

The more they try to do stuff like this, the faster they're speeding themselves to their legal demise. Eventually everything they're doing here is going to come crashing down, people fired/jailed, monopolies torn apart, and they'll have only themselves to blame.

Presumably, with the FaceTime feature on AT&T's network you get QoS that will put your FT traffic before all other traffic. Whether people want to believe it or not this does cost money and is needed for a quality realtime audio and/or video.

That said they should (at least) just let FT be the same FIFO as regular web traffic with no QoS for those that don't want to pay for it. FT may or may not always work well and they can offer the better plan as an option without making it a requirement for those that want it. By being the only carrier not offering this as part of your regular service they just make themselves look stingy. As I said, it costs money for QoS on equipment that can handle the load but it's not so much that they can't absorb the cost into their tiered plans they are charging for data. I expect them to drop this after they lose plenty of users. If the next iPhone has LTE I'll be switching to Verizon for the increased performance and simultaneous V&D option.
  • Reply 47 of 105
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    jason98 wrote: »
    Will it support LTE iPhone?

Since Straight Talk uses the AT&T network, it is theoretically capable of using anything on the AT&T network. It comes down to whether AT&T is willing to license it.
    Will you be getting the next iPhone (at all) upon launch or waiting a few weeks for people to test it on that service? 

Since Straight Talk uses the AT&T network, there's no reason why it wouldn't work. However, I'm not buying the new one right away, so it's not an issue for me.
  • Reply 48 of 105
    texdeafy wrote: »
    FUÇK you, AT&T. I'm deaf and was impressed of Steve Jobs for thinking about deaf and hard of hearing (he show it on his keynote with iPhone 4). I'm on 5GB data plan with tethering (to avoid being busted by AT&T). I don't have voice plan, just data plan. My sister and I dont want to share data plan because it cost a lot for extra GB that my sister and I both will use a lot of data. My sister use Facebook for her "business" and text. She's hearing. Me, since I'm deaf, I only use data plan. Why the fuçk ain't AT&T support this plan for FaceTime?! I'm so pissed off. I can't jump the ship and join other carrier because of stupid ass credit check with expensive deposit! So FUÇK YOU, AT&T!!!!
    Posted via my IPhone 4S with stupid ass AT$T. I'm not going to use AT&T from now on. AT$T that is!!
    Edit: change the character from ? to Ç

I am not normaly one to make a suggestion like this but I understand how important video calling is to a deaf person.

Tell them your deaf. Requiring you to change to a plan that will cost you more is discriminatory. Most businesses are afraid of running afoul of the A.D.A act and Att might start back peddling.

If you really want to be a dick to them, go find an attorney that specialize in A.D.A. Law. I hear those bastards make sharks look like woosies and will sue companies for the smallest of infractions.
  • Reply 49 of 105
    vaelianvaelian Posts: 446member
    This concerns me. What happens to video conferencing apps then? I'm developing one myself and don't want it rejected because of crap like this. Furthermore, how does Apple accept this crap? And why isn't the FCC preventing this kind of shit from happening?
  • Reply 50 of 105

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

This concerns me. What happens to video conferencing apps then? I'm developing one myself and don't want it rejected because of crap like this.

Oh, you'll get through just fine. Skype, for example, works without anything special. It's just FaceTime that is blocked.

Furthermore, how does Apple accept this crap?

"They're evil. They deserve it."

And why isn't the FCC preventing this kind of shit from happening?

"Apple is evil. They hate Apple. Blind eye."

• Reply 51 of 105
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member

all you crybabies crying 'this is the last straw' and 'maybe' now you'll ditch at&t either put up or shut up. you either do it now or don't. **** at&t. they're just a bunch of corporate bastards taking as much as most of you are willing to give them.

so...i suppose it's partly your fault.

(when did this forum go 'pg-13' on us?)

• Reply 52 of 105
    vaelian wrote: »
    This concerns me. What happens to video conferencing apps then? I'm developing one myself and don't want it rejected because of crap like this. Furthermore, how does Apple accept this crap? And why isn't the FCC preventing this kind of shit from happening?

I don't see the connection. Apple didn't stop allowing VC apps on the App Store after they released FaceTime. This is something completely different with at least one carrier. In fact, this helps your 3rd-party solution in many way.
  • Reply 53 of 105
    mac_dog wrote: »
    all you crybabies crying 'this is the last straw' and 'maybe' now you'll ditch at&t either put up or shut up. you either do it now or don't. **** at&t. they're just a bunch of corporate bastards taking as much as most of you are willing to give them.

so...i suppose it's partly your fault.

(when did this forum go 'pg-13' on us?)

Why must people ditch AT&T now when the new iPhone isn't out, before this rule is enacted in what is presumed to be in iOS 6, or potentially before there contract has ended? It seems to me that at this point waiting to see the new iPhone, and new carrier plans would be the most prudent move.
  • Reply 54 of 105
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Did you even read the headline or the story? They do not want to do that at all.

Currently I pay $55/mo for 5GB and 200 text messages.

AT&T Mobile Share with a costs $70/mo for 4GB and unlimited text.

So if I want to use FaceTime with AT&T my cost goes UP $15/mo and I LOSE 1GB/mo of data!

• Reply 55 of 105

Could someone inform me about the pros and cons of using the iPhone 4S on Straight Talk (other than price)? I did a little research and saw that MMS doesn't work the same (whatever that means... if someone could explain that, they would be great too). Will voice and data coverage be identical to what I get with AT&T right now? Better? Worse? I'm not overly pleased with AT&T coverage in Wisconsin but I want to make sure that Straight Talk will AT LEAST be at that level.

• Reply 56 of 105
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    So I can video chat via Skype over 3G (without Mobile Share), but not via FaceTime? WTF?
  • Reply 57 of 105
    Yep I have a excuse to jailbreak again, even if they do throttle me at 3gb..
  • Reply 58 of 105
    briancpa wrote: »
    Could someone inform me about the pros and cons of using the iPhone 4S on Straight Talk (other than price)? I did a little research and saw that MMS doesn't work the same (whatever that means... if someone could explain that, they would be great too). Will voice and data coverage be identical to what I get with AT&T right now? Better? Worse? I'm not overly pleased with AT&T coverage in Wisconsin but I want to make sure that Straight Talk will AT LEAST be at that level.

Same service, same everything except: no visual voicemail and the feeling of being raped every month.

MMS can be fixed easily plenty of guides online how to do so in the APN settings.

I too am going to make the jump, could save me at least 60-70 a month, but I'm trying to figure out the cost of severing my 2 lines with the termination fees...and the fact that the next iPhone I'll have to get at cost and know Apple I'll have to wait to get a unlocked device rather then have it the first day like I've been doing for the past releases.
  • Reply 59 of 105
    cyvecyve Posts: 3member

Verizon just lost a case where they were sued for charging extra for tethering. Essentially the issue is the same: double charging clients for their data. Once you pay for a specified amount of data you then have the right to use it in any means as you wish. However, ATT will now force those who want to use their data via FaceTime to be in a particular plan that is more expensive for the consumer. Certainly, they are motivated by their desire to do away with customers who have unlimited plans. If there is a movement for a class action lawsuit then I would be a strong supporter. Tired of being bullied and strong armed by these companies. 

• Reply 60 of 105

So let me get this straight...  I can use Skype, Tango, ooVoo, Google Talk, Lync, and a bunch of other video chat programs on my unlimited data plan, but you're going to single out FaceTime, AT&T?

Last straw.  I'm filing a petition with the FCC.  I'm writing my Congressman.  And I'm dumping your ass after the new phones are released.

And I suggest the rest of you do the same.

These CEOs need a bullet to the brain.