New high-res photos of black, white 'iPad mini' and next-gen iPhone dock connector cables

Comments

• Reply 41 of 122
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

They are just rounding to a whole number for simplicity purposes.    I wouldn't get all bent out of shape over it.

• Reply 42 of 122

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

They are just rounding to a whole number for simplicity purposes.    I wouldn't get all bent out of shape over it.

It's the wrong way, is all. The 15" MacBook Pro is 15.4". The 13" MacBook Air is 13.3". The 10" iPad is 9.8".

And I'm still gonna call it a 7" iPad. image

• Reply 43 of 122
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Looks like the Classic iPod (finally) will be discontinued.

My prediction:

new iPod  (4" Screen, A5X processor, 3mp camera) $199

new iPod  (7'' Screen A5X processor, 5mp camera, Siri) $299

new iPod nano (return of bigger screen with a small home button, bluetooth) $149

new iPod shuffle (with touch screen) $99

new iPhone (4" Screen, Quad Core, A6 processor, 10mp camera, iWallet, meet new Siri) $199, $299, $349 w/contract

iPhone 4 (free w/contract) iPhone 4S $99 w/contract

new redesigned iTunes with Twitter integration, web-version, iCloud streaming

new HD music format

That will make a great holiday quarter.

I think the same thing, but I would add Siri to everything that has a processor capable of doing it.

I think it is possible Apple might have that fingerprint ID on most of these devices.

I also think it is possible that they might start bringing H.265 to a new Apple TV.

Isn't iWallet actually called "Passbook" in iOS6?

I would think that it would be called an iPad with a 7.whatever sized screen with cameras, etc. for $350. on up depending on storage.

There were some rumors a while back suggesting that Apple working on a 5+" device as well, so that could be a variation.

ALL SPECULATION FOR DISCUSSIONS SAKE, but nothing I would make an investment decision on.

• Reply 44 of 122

Might all be parts from a prototype .  Might be the real deal  but I'm not convinced.

• Reply 45 of 122
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ivlad wrote: »
    Looks like the Classic iPod (finally) will be discontinued.

My prediction:
    new iPod  (4" Screen, A5X processor, 3mp camera) $199
    new iPod  (7'' Screen A5X processor, 5mp camera, Siri) $299

I can't see why they'd use the 2011 CPU with a quad-core GPU from 2011. Let's remember the A5X was designed for the iPad (3)'s Retina Display requiring a lot more graphic's power. The most likely expectation is the A6.

herbapou wrote: »
    2010 ipad 1 keynotes.

He never said the iPad would never be 7". He stated that 10" was the ideal size for 2010, hence it being the first size they released. He also very clearly stated that the current 7" tablets were DOA... and he was right. I don't know how you can get any more clear than the qualifier 'current' he used and dis not in any way state that all 7" tablets now and forever will never work in the market. On top of that we have court documents that have Apple working on a 7" tablet.

drblank wrote: »
    I also think it is possible that they might start bringing H.265 to a new Apple TV.

Even 2013 will be cutting edge for H.265. It's not expected to be finalized until January 2013, but let's say it was ready yesterday, it's mid-August which means Apple has 2 months to take that finalized draft and then make HW decoders for that spec, then add them to their next Apple TV, and then make sure it works properly? I don't see how that could possibly happen. We'll be lucky to see H.265 in the Mac in the year 2013 and it'll probably be well after that it's added to devices running iOS.

For comparison note that H.264 was finalized in May 2003. When did the first Apple product get the HW decoder?
  • Reply 46 of 122
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

I am still going to stand by my theory that the 7" device is going to be the new iPod Touch. Makes sense to me as it avoids all the controversy on how SJ said a 7" iPad did not make sense. 

To further support my theory. The 64GB iPod Touch costs the same as the iPad 2. Why would you buy a Touch if an iPad costs the same. The answer is you don't want a 10" screen. A 7" Touch solves the size and cost problems. Mark my words!

• Reply 47 of 122

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

Ahhhh.

Again,

I state and maintain that Apple will NOT be releasing an iPad Mini.

This is NEVER EVER going to happen.

At most,

Apple will be releasing the Next Generation iPod Touch.

Respectfully, I think you're going to be eating your words soon enough. There's nothing uniquely special about a 10-inch screen, and nothing terrible about a 7-inch one. In fact Eddie Cue begged Steve Jobs to get on board with a 7-inch iPad! 

• Reply 48 of 122
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    sunspot42 wrote: »
    Actually, I'm not so sure about the reversible bit anymore.  Reports are trickling in that the port only has 9 pins - it's one-sided.  So, no 18 pins, and not reversible.  Any analog audio would have to come from the headphone jack.

Ok I'll get you up to speed.

There are 17 contacts on the new pin. 8 gold contacts are repeated on each side, with the metal housing (which does not need to be duplicated) forming an additional contact.

Of course the pin it will reversible. Could you imagine how annoying it would be to plug the pin in your phone the wrong way half the time? Exactly like USB 2 and the current connector have been annoying for most of humanity the last decade. If it isn't reversible then rotational symmetry is a design flaw. It's going to be hard enough to convince everyone to ditch their accessories as it is. Apple would not make a mistake of that magnitude (especially after the antennagate experience).
  • Reply 49 of 122
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

iPad Mini stuff is leaking now? Tim is doing a poor job of maintaining secrecy. Ever since he made his "Doubling down on secrecy," comment, there seems to be more leaks than ever!

• Reply 50 of 122

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

There are 17 contacts on the new pin. 8 gold contacts are repeated on each side, with the metal housing (which does not need to be duplicated) forming an additional contact.

Of course the pin it will reversible. Could you imagine how annoying it would be to plug the pin in your phone the wrong way half the time?

If the connector includes the audio jack, it would be impossible to plug it in the wrong way.  So, no need for more expensive reversible cables.  Would also provide additional stability when used in a dock...

• Reply 51 of 122
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    gazoobee wrote: »

These are either fake pictures or I predict the iPad mini (iBook?) will be black/white plastic.

This was exactly my thought!

Why would there be a black or white version unless its a complete redesign, and those parts at least visually appear to be made of plastic! My current and previous iPads along with my iPhones and iPod's have never had an outside 'visable' bezel on the female end. So either Apple is changing their design to plastic (which will make my current devices the last ones I purchase ever), or they are just adding thickness for no apparent reason other than to show the plastic looking bezel. In my opinion Apple wouldn't do that to a product that they keep trying to make thinner. (all iDevices)

I theorize this part is either fake as you stated, or it's for an entirely different device other than the iPad, iPhone or iPod.

Maybe Apple TV. There's plenty of room for the bezel. Plastic, if it is plastic, would not be such a problem because it's generally a 'plug and forget' device. Still doesn't explain the colors though.

If it truly is plastic then the wear and tear on a female receptacle like the charging port would be rendered virtually useless after a relatively small amount of even proper inserts... Never mind mis-aligned inserts.

So to quote what my guy friends say when someone's 'talking trash'. "I'll flag that!"

Anyway, my 2 cents on two cents worth of plastic...
  • Reply 52 of 122
    doorman.doorman. Posts: 159member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

Ahhhh.

Again,

At most,

Apple will be releasing the Next Generation iPod Touch.

What's the difference? Only a name.

• Reply 53 of 122
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Again it is called marketing! One of Steve's great strengths was marketing what he had no matter what the rest of the field looked like. The 7" iPad will sell well because it will fill a void in that there really isn't a versatile tablet in that size range. I suspect that eventually we will see a larger iPad maybe possibly 12". It is all about filling need and locking up the market.
    kent909 wrote: »
    I am still going to stand by my theory that the 7" device is going to be the new iPod Touch. Makes sense to me as it avoids all the controversy on how SJ said a 7" iPad did not make sense. 
    Again remember Steve was marketing what he had at the moment, that really has nothing to do with his opinion on other sizes of "I" devices. Remember Touch and iPhone are "I" devices too!
  • Reply 54 of 122
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    BuffyzDead wrote: »
    Ahhhh.

Again,

I could comprise a list for you of things throughout history that were "never ever going to happen". It would take me a very long time to type them into my iPad.... More time than I'm willing to invest actually, but I did think about it for a moment.
  • Reply 55 of 122
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

It's the wrong way, is all. The 15" MacBook Pro is 15.4". The 13" MacBook Air is 13.3". The 10" iPad is 9.8".

And I'm still gonna call it a 7" iPad. :lol:

There are mathematical rules for rounding. Mathematically, 15.4 rounds to 15, 13.3 rounds to 13, and 9.8 rounds to 10.

There's no way that 7.85 would round to 7.

kent909 wrote: »
    To further support my theory. The 64GB iPod Touch costs the same as the iPad 2. Why would you buy a Touch if an iPad costs the same. The answer is you don't want a 10" screen. A 7" Touch solves the size and cost problems. Mark my words!

The other answer is that you might want more storage than 16 GB in the iPad 2. I can't imagine why you're comparing a 64 GB iPod Touch ($399) to the 16 GB iPad 2 ($399) rather than using the 8 GB iPod Touch ($199) or 32 GB iPod Touch ($299). Other than intentionally trying to distort the argument, of course.

Besides, your argument is simply one that suggests that there is room for a 7-8" device in the market - and I agree. It does not in any way justify your claim that it would be called a Touch rather than an iPad. I already presented the reasons why it makes much more sense to call it an iPad (see above).
  • Reply 56 of 122
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

This was exactly my thought!

Why would there be a black or white version unless its a complete redesign, and those parts at least visually appear to be made of plastic! My current and previous iPads along with my iPhones and iPod's have never had an outside 'visable' bezel on the female end. So either Apple is changing their design to plastic (which will make my current devices the last ones I purchase ever), or they are just adding thickness for no apparent reason other than to show the plastic looking bezel. In my opinion Apple wouldn't do that to a product that they keep trying to make thinner. (all iDevices)

I theorize this part is either fake as you stated, or it's for an entirely different device other than the iPad, iPhone or iPod.

Maybe Apple TV. There's plenty of room for the bezel. Plastic, if it is plastic, would not be such a problem because it's generally a 'plug and forget' device. Still doesn't explain the colors though.

If it truly is plastic then the wear and tear on a female receptacle like the charging port would be rendered virtually useless after a relatively small amount of even proper inserts... Never mind mis-aligned inserts.

So to quote what my guy friends say when someone's 'talking trash'. "I'll flag that!"

Anyway, my 2 cents on two cents worth of plastic...

I never thought of the colour angle, I was just pointing out that the shape of the plug is wrong given the drawings we've seen and points to a design that cannot be done by cutting aluminium (i.e. - the 3GS shaped plastic back).  

But now that you mention it, this part is not only a different shape on my iPad, it's also not white even though I have a white iPad.  The audio jack plug is actually black on both black and white iPads and recessed more.  

These "iPad mini" parts therefore seem destined for black/white plastic devices of some kind.  This would make sense in that it could explain how they would be able to target the $200 price range.  

• Reply 57 of 122

Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

…nothing terrible about a 7-inch one.

Not inherently, no. But on a "tablet" there sure is.

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

iPad Mini stuff is leaking now? Tim is doing a poor job of maintaining secrecy. Ever since he made his "Doubling down on secrecy," comment, there seems to be more leaks than ever!

I wish people would just stop this.

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This would make sense in that it could explain how they would be able to target the $200 price range.  

I love how we're pretending to know anything about it and building on those assumptions to make further ones. image

• Reply 58 of 122
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member

Mini iPad parts?  No way.

They look like parts from the HumanCentiPad.  

• Reply 59 of 122
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Clueless statement.  This is not the old Apple making a few candy colored iMacs.  When Apple makes product now they sells MILLIONS the first day it is released.  To get all the parts they need, and get them assembled it would be impossible to hide things like Apple used to be able to.   Add in to it that there is a lot more interest paid to Apple now as well.  Every loser wants to be the first to post some info about a new Apple product,

• Reply 60 of 122
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Fresh pictures posted on Friday claim to show both the "iPad mini" and next-gen iPhone's dock connector flex cables side-by-side, with the images hinting that Apple will launch the smaller tablet in both white and black colorways.

"Colorways."  Used to be a term exclusively used by the graphic design and interior decoration industries, referring to collections of shades deployed across ad layouts or room and being a slightly dumb sounding specialized term for "color scheme." Then pretty recently I noticed it getting used to describe the two or three colors on bikes ("Awesome colorway on your ride, bro").  Here it is, apparently meaning either black or white.  So we've got a generation of 20 something fetishists who have decided that "color' is insufficient for the lifestyle denoting choices they make.  But is is jarring to see it used this way in an AI article.