Apple closes at new high of $648 on rumors of iPad mini, Apple TV

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Uh, they're sure that their completely idiotic and unfounded rumors are the reason for this?

Does anyone really think that Apple would make ANY money by just joining up with the TV guys for a box like everyone else puts out?

I imagine it's the dividend doing this.

The content wouldn't free so why wouldn't there be a revenue split and/or referral fee for Apple? I could also see Comcast, or whoever it is, paying Apple to be able to deliver the best DVR experience ever...

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 22 of 43

:)

• Reply 23 of 43
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    mercury99 wrote: »
    LL

Get rid of the silver chin and I'm sold.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Chackal View Post

Time for some stock split news!

No thanks.

• Reply 25 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don108 View Post

In the book Supermoney by "Adam Smith," he writes that all you can say about a stock is that when it's going up it's going up, and when it's going down it's going down. Stocks have little to do with logic or reason. Those are things financial pundits come up with to protect their jobs.

The only thing seemingly more irrational than the stock market is trusting your money to someone else to invest it.

• Reply 26 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

Well technically the stock should fall after a dividend (company is paying out some of its value), but whatever, up is up! Cheers!

I thought that was strange also... I have no made-up explanation.

• Reply 27 of 43

Without the silver chin it's like any other generic TV.

• Reply 28 of 43
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Get rid of the silver chin and I'm sold.

Imo the silver chin is going to be where the Bose speakers are.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    [QUOTE]Apple closes at new high of $648 on rumors of iPad mini, Apple TV[/QUOTE]

God bless you Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 30 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Processor power is not that important, and at worst is meaningless (see Galaxy Note 2).

No iOS release has ever felt slow.

There is no Galaxy Note 2 yet.

• Reply 31 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

One chair? Confirming our geek status :-)

• Reply 32 of 43

Not sure why y'all don't get this:  Apple HAS to enter the TV market because their 2 biggest competitors already have.  Google has Google TV and will evolve their Q product to include it.  Xbox let you watch a limited amount of Live TV now with apps, and the next Xbox will have DVR capabilities.  If Apple wants a slice of the content market, they have to act soon.

• Reply 33 of 43
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    waverunnr wrote: »
    Not sure why y'all don't get this:  Apple HAS to enter the TV market because their 2 biggest competitors already have.  Google has Google TV and will evolve their Q product to include it.  Xbox let you watch a limited amount of Live TV now with apps, and the next Xbox will have DVR capabilities.  If Apple wants a slice of the content market, they have to act soon.

But neither Google nor Microsoft sells a full-blown TV. In both cases, they either sell an add-on (X-box) or license technology to the TV manufacturers. Apple already does that with Apple TV. Apple TV and iTunes already do essentially what Xbox and Google TV do, so those are not justification for releasing a television.

Frankly, I don't think it's impossible for Apple to offer a TV, but I think it's unlikely. I suspect they'll continue to refine the AppleTV. For example, there's no reason they couldn't offer DVR capability in the Apple TV. More importantly, they could add new functionality. For example, see my post #45 in this thread: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/151967/apple-set-top-box-to-blur-line-between-live-on-demand-content
  • Reply 34 of 43

Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post

Not sure why y'all don't get this:  Apple HAS to…

We "don't get it" because those three words are a complete lie.

…their 2 biggest competitors already have.

Laziness and Theft have entered the TV market? What am I saying; of course they have. Where do I think La-Z-Boy chairs and telecoms are selling their stuff?! Get it together, man!

Google has Google TV and will evolve their Q product to include it.

*snort* Oh, you mean THAT worthless thing! Does less than an Apple TV! 

Xbox let you watch a limited amount of Live TV now with apps, and the next Xbox will have DVR capabilities.

X… 

Okay, yes, they've captured the CowaDoody audience's TV watching. Apple's a company that does far more than that.

• Reply 35 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don108 View Post

In the book Supermoney by "Adam Smith," he writes that all you can say about a stock is that when it's going up it's going up, and when it's going down it's going down. Stocks have little to do with logic or reason. Those are things financial pundits come up with to protect their jobs.

+1

• Reply 36 of 43
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Uh, they're sure that their completely idiotic and unfounded rumors are the reason for this?

Does anyone really think that Apple would make ANY money by just joining up with the TV guys for a box like everyone else puts out?

I imagine it's the dividend doing this.

FYI paying out a dividend normally drops a stock price.

I doubt you know any more about Apple's products, than you do about investing!

• Reply 37 of 43
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post

Apple is in the TV market with iTV but if Apple combines iTV with a set top box function, many including me would be a buyer.

• Reply 38 of 43
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

The fallacy there is 'begging the question'.

What makes you think that Apple would put out a box 'like everyone else puts out'? Can you not conceive of Apple putting out a BETTER product than everyone else? After all, you could have made your statement 5 years ago and said "Apple can't make money by putting out a phone like everyone else puts out". Or 3 years ago by saying "Apple can't make money by putting out a tablet like everyone else puts out".

It's pretty clear that if Apple DOES enter this market with a TV (or release a new Apple TV with greatly enhanced capabilities as I suggested above- which I consider to be more likely), they will do so with a product that is NOT 'like everyone else puts out'.

I'm just curious. You're a huge Apple fan, yet you're opposed to every new concept that comes out. iPad Mini? Violently opposed. Apple TV? Violently opposed. You seem to be an Apple fan but opposed to them ever doing anything different. That just doesn't make sense.

josha wrote: »
    Apple is in the TV market with iTV but if Apple combines iTV with a set top box function, many including me would be a buyer.

I really wish people would not misuse trademarks. It clutters the discussion with errors.

Apple doesn't make an 'iTV'. They make an 'Apple TV".
  • Reply 39 of 43

Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

I doubt you know any more about Apple's products, than you do about investing!

I'm sure, of course. You're obviously right. I'm a huge hack, and you've discovered me.

On the level, I already know I know nothing about the market. image

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

What makes you think that Apple would put out a box 'like everyone else puts out'?

Nothing makes me think that. Everything written makes me think that everyone else thinks that.

Can you not conceive of Apple putting out a BETTER product than everyone else?

That's the only thing of which I can conceive. And I'll hold that if Apple doesn't release something that fits my semi-ludicrous ideas, they'll not have released a proper product.

"But… you always poke fun at the people who whine that their ludicrous ideas for products never come true…"

I poke fun when people want every single ludicrous idea at once. Or when the ideas are physically impossible. I don't believe I'm stretching too much with my own idea, and without some sense of "this can't be done" pervading the idea, is there really any reason for Apple to attempt it in the first place? They're masters of doing what "can't" be done.

You're a huge Apple fan, yet you're opposed to every new concept that comes out. iPad Mini? Violently opposed. Apple TV? Violently opposed. You seem to be an Apple fan but opposed to them ever doing anything different. That just doesn't make sense.

I'm violently opposed to bad ideas, bad implementations, and ideas that fall outside the vision I've seen them undertake these past… 16 years? Yeah, it's 16. If they want to change visions, I guess that's on them. More power to them, and I hope it doesn't turn into the early '90s again. I'm not riding that rollercoaster down the hill again.

• Reply 40 of 43
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member

For an interesting analysis of where Apple is going - see this foolish article:

http://beta.fool.com/jaans/2012/08/18/understanding-apple-flash-new-high-where-it-going/9958/