Which carrier to choose when buying a new iPhone in September?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

I bought an iPhone 4 the day it was released back in June 2010, which means I'm using AT&T.  I've been holding out on upgrading because I'm waiting for an iPhone 5 (or "The New iPhone."  Whatever Apple will call it).

I'm not on a shared plan with anyone.  I send fewer than 25 texts a month since I do my texting via Google Voice.  I do most of my calling via Google Voice too.

My monthly bill is around $68 a month.

What are the benefits of going with a different carrier for my next iPhone?  Will AT&T make me change my plan at all if I buy a new iPhone and stick with them?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Straight Talk is as low as $40 a month (if you pay by the year) for unlimited calling, messages (just use iMessage), and 2GB of data. It's AT&T's network, too (plus some others, I think? I have no idea what their coverage is actually like and the ONLY map they have is the contiguous US in a 500x700 image…).

• Reply 2 of 7
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member

Is "Straight Talk" some kind of AT&T plan?

• Reply 3 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

Is "Straight Talk" some kind of AT&T plan?

It's a Wal-mart plan. Bring your own phone type deal, or take one of their own. You'll have to buy an unlocked iPhone or wait for the software unlock (and since there isn't even one for the iPhone 4S yet…), but it's cheaper than any of the four main telecoms' plans.

• Reply 4 of 7

You know what, try discussing your needs with AT&T first. Being a current subscriber, telling them that you're looking for better deals with other carriers may be your leverage on getting a way better package with AT&T. I think they'll do everything not to let you go, haha! Try to negotiate with the sales rep you're gonna talk to. I believe the more years you stay with a certain carrier means more chances of getting free phones/devices with your plan in the future. If needed, you can even talk to the supervisor and ask for a better, cheaper package as a courtesy for being a valued subscriber for the previous years... It's not begging, it's bargaining! Good luck!

• Reply 5 of 7

Originally Posted by joshduhamel123 View Post

You know what, try discussing your needs with AT&T first. Being a current subscriber, telling them that you're looking for better deals with other carriers may be your leverage on getting a way better package with AT&T.

If AT&T is anything like Verizon (they are), absolutely nothing will change. They won't offer you anything different, they will make no concessions, and they'll just demand you pay what they say.

• Reply 6 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If AT&T is anything like Verizon (they are), absolutely nothing will change. They won't offer you anything different, they will make no concessions, and they'll just demand you pay what they say.

In other words, carriers suck. image

And they do. They false advertise, lie and steal your money. Every carrier exec except possibly Sprint's should be in jail. And you can't go to Sprint because their coverage sucks

• Reply 7 of 7

Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

Every carrier exec except possibly Sprint's should be in jail.

You have Sprint, don't you? image

Anyway, here's the result of me, two days ago, trying once again to see what could be done about Verizon's plans for a user that has been with them for a decade.

If AT&T is anything like Verizon (they are), you'll meet the same fate there.