YES!! Lady sues Movies Theaters for commercials

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
<a href="http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030220/film_nm/film_movieads_dc_1"; target="_blank">Don't force me to watch commercials please</a>

[quote] In a class-action lawsuit filed in Illinois state court on behalf of all Loews patrons, the Chicago-area English teacher claims the theater circuit's policy of playing pre-film product commercials amounts to a deceptive business practice because the ads begin at the time advertised as the start of a feature movie...... <hr></blockquote>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    awww... but they and the trailers are the best part
  • Reply 2 of 45
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    The trailers I love. Always my favorite part of going to a movie usually. The commercials, however, are annoying...especially since you came to see a movie and paid a wad of money to NOT be home seeing them on TV.

However, I'm not about to sue over it. While I understand the chick's frustration, it's hardly something to get too torqued up about. Would could the commercials, all added together, possibly come out to? Two minutes? Just use it as time to get your food and drink all settled, your coat off, look around and find the nearest available exit signs, etc.

Don't SUE over it, for crying out loud. It's not as though the theater was selling Big Macs in the lobby...
  • Reply 3 of 45
    roger ebert does an answer man bit in the suntimes and he a question (well more like a mea culpa) from a reader on this very subject. if everyone walked they'd quit doing it.

[quote] 20 minutes of ads? Walk out

February 9, 2003

BY ROGER EBERT

I got a good laugh out of that AM question about ads in theaters. I happen to work for Regal as a manager. Regal is evil and greedy, but maybe not in that order. Each week we receive a list of commercials that must be onscreen. And every week, each movie has a minimum of eight to 10 commercials. The corporate office is very focused on how much revenue advertisements provide. Everything else is secondary to making sure all commercials are running--including customer complaints. Now, in coordination with RegalCinemedia, Regal Entertainment will begin implementing a pre-feature program: Twenty minutes of commercials preceding the start time of the feature--projected digitally. I wonder how well this will work. Considering that shows will have to end at least 20 minutes before the pre-feature program, this will largely limit the number of shows per day.

Name withheld

A. If I were faced with 20 minutes of paid advertising before a movie, I would simply walk out and demand my money back. Commercials are fine when they underwrite TV or subsidize newspapers, which could not exist without them. But when I pay for a ticket, I am personally subsidizing the screening, and resent being made into a captive victim. I received an avalanche of mail on this subject, and cannot understand why advertisers would want to attract hostility toward their products by deliberately offending potential customers. <hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 4 of 45
    I wish they would drop the ads (not the trailers) and go back to showing Pink Panther shorts before the films.

Ahh... better days.
  • Reply 5 of 45
    [quote] look around and find the nearest available exit signs, etc. <hr></blockquote>

in chicago we make sure these exits aren't chained shut as well!
  • Reply 6 of 45
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    [quote]Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar:

<strong>

in chicago we make sure these exits aren't chained shut as well!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Don't be so sure of that. Recent night club.... In fact I have had the exit door on a theater break on me.

But anyway Ebert didn't read carefully. The movie manager said the 20 minutes were before the start time of the movie. No one can object to that.

As always I reject lawsuits to solve a problem that should be solved by ... as other suggested ... walking out.
  • Reply 7 of 45
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Hell I don't think people mind the Trailers. I mean we all love movies but how many of you guys have seen Warcraft being advertised amongst other non Movie items. I don't want to shell out $16 to be a captive audience either.
  • Reply 8 of 45
    [quote]But anyway Ebert didn't read carefully. The movie manager said the 20 minutes were before the start time of the movie. No one can object to that. <hr></blockquote>

this column was well before the lawsuit and the lawsuit is against loews and this guy works for regal. and i think the regal uses one of those slide show kinds now. loews is showing the commercials after the start time. i guess i didn't make it clear when i posted that this wasn't in reference to the lawsuit, that it was from a couple weeks ago. sorry.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Showing commercials after start-time is bullshit.

I hate trailers. I'll download them if I want to see them. Just show me the damned movie I paid to see, jerk-offs.
  • Reply 10 of 45
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    Regal cinemas right now shows advertisement slides in between shows all the tiem. Then when the movie time comes and you are all excited for teh movie to start instead you see a lame Mountain Dew commercial or some other TV commercial. That's right, TV commercials in the movie theatre, not even altered for the big screen just put there to endure. This is after showtime has started. And there are about 3-5 of them before every show. Then you get to see a couple of trailers, the theatres preshow ad about getting popcorn and other snacks, and then finally you get the movie. In my opinion they owe me about $2 of my $7.50 back.
  • Reply 11 of 45
    Two thumbs up.
  • Reply 12 of 45
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Well you know vote with your feet. There's a lot of movies these days that come out and I think, I'll have to rent that on DVD!

But these days with high priced movies, mother****ing morons talking on their cell phones and showing up on time to get a very shitty seat I tend to only see movies I can't wait for on DVD.
  • Reply 13 of 45
    i hate watching a half dozen commercials, a dozen previews, and then half an hour later...the movie. it was ok w/ just a few previews, but this BULLSH*T has gotten out of hand.
  • Reply 14 of 45
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott:

<strong>...

I'll have to rent that on DVD!

...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Commercials during the lockout period at the beginning of your DVDs can't be far off.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    [quote]Originally posted by MrBillData:

<strong>

Commercials during the lockout period at the beginning of your DVDs can't be far off. </strong><hr></blockquote>

They are already here for some. However I have found that Fast-Forward is your friend here.
  • Reply 16 of 45
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott:

<strong>Well you know vote with your feet. There's a lot of movies these days that come out and I think, I'll have to rent that on DVD!

But these days with high priced movies, mother****ing morons talking on their cell phones and showing up on time to get a very shitty seat I tend to only see movies I can't wait for on DVD.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I only see certain very big movies in the theatre. Star Wars, LoTR, and Spiderman were must-see's. All the rest I wait for the DVD. The movie theatre is not all that special to me anymore with all the ads and such.

Exception to this being for a couple of kids movies for my son during special showings during the day....
  • Reply 17 of 45
    Ooh, I love the trailers and coming attractions! I can sit through 10 of them if I have to and it doesn't bother me at all, even if it's for something lame because they're good for a snicker or eyeroll.

But watching commercials, actual COMMERCIALS, for Coca-Cola, a local Jeep dealership or jeweler, a PSA on "Stop the Hate" or whatever, army recruitment spots, another Coke or Pepsi commercial, etc. just gets ridiculous.

AND I'm not talking about those static slides played because those are on constantly between showings and they don't cut into - or interfere - with the movie's start time. I'm specifically talking about when the lights go down, the projector begins and it's actual commercials, just like you'd see on TV.

Trailers and static, pre-showtime slides? Bring 'em on, I don't care. Carrot Top with his face in the screen hawking 1-800-IMANIDIOT...no thanks.

As if I don't see those 58 times a day while at home.

I guess I shouldn't bitch. With all the things Scott mentioned above, I rarely go to movies anymore as it is, so if I "voted with my feet", I'd never see anything!

• Reply 18 of 45
    I rarely go too. Most of what comes out isn't worth it. The last movie I saw in the theater was LOTR: The Two Towers. I'll probably see the next Star Wars in the theater because of inertia (as in, I've already suffered through the first two so I may as well see the last one), the next Matrix, and of course LOTR: Return of the King, but that's about it.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    I saw exactly three movies (MAYBE four, but I sure can't think of what it was...I'm going with three!) last year: Star Wars: Episode 2, Attack of the Clowns, Austin Powers and LOTR.

Of the three, only LOTR was bearable. Why, more than bearable. It was actually GOOD! Just as the one from the previous year. Had it not been for those two movies, I don't think I would've seen ANYTHING good at the multiplex in almost two years' time!

Oddly enough, the only thing I want to see at the moment is "Old School" because it looks like it might be so silly and stupid, that I would laugh out loud (like I did in "Dumb & Dumber")...a rare thing indeed.

Most "comedies" are anything but.

[ 02-21-2003: Message edited by: pscates ]</p>
  • Reply 20 of 45
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i actually have walked out of movies when there were commercials before the start. however, i also have a very understanding wife, so this might not be an option for most.

when i demand my money back i also tell them i want to talk to the manager. i've been told that the local theatre has no choice in the matter, that whatever HQ they have dictates what commercials will and will not be shown before a movie.

i also thought i'd mention that these commercials always start WHEN THE MOVIE SHOW TIME IS.

that is so ****ing as hell annoying. it pisses me off to the point that my movie going experience is ruined. the last thing i need to see is Tiger whoring out some Olds, or some stupid ass pop commercial.

UGH!

the only thing that would really make any difference though would be to find large groups of people that all live in the same area. go to a set theatre at a set time, then when they play the commercials, all walk out and demand your money back. a trickle of walkouts over time isn't as noticeable as a huge run at once, IMO.

so anyone in the minneapolis area want to get started on this?

edit: oh yeah, i also ask to talk to the manager when there aren't any commercials and thank them for it. that's when i was told they have no control over what is shown before movies.

[ 02-21-2003: Message edited by: alcimedes ]</p>