Rumor: First pictures of next-gen iPhone display assembly surface

Comments

• Reply 41 of 63
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Regarding the chip, hownaboutnthismformconjecture: (I'm not changing that -- damn you Siri): how about the iPhone gets the new number and the iPad version gets the X? So ip5 will be A6, and next iPad A6X.
  • Reply 42 of 63
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    That seems like a given. SInce Apple started pimping their Ax chips with the iPhone 4 we haven't seen a different model. .

Really? Maybe you slept through the A5X introduction. Four times the graphics power, twice the RAM.

Yep.

iPad: A4
    iPhone 4: A4
    iPad 2: A5
    iPhone 4S: A5.
    3rd iPad: A5X
    6th iPhone: ___?

I'd imagine A5X unless there's reason to believe a smaller-process, lower power draw A6 is, in fact, possible.

And if the latter, that's just one MORE reason to re-add to our "why it's not the iPhone 5" list. :lol:

There's one very good reason why it might not be the A5X. The biggest change in the A5X was vastly increasing the graphics performance because of quadrupling the number of pixels on the iPad 3. The GPU/CPU ratio would be out of line for an iPhone. They might easily increase the CPU performance and drop a couple of graphics cores on the iPhone and still get better performance. Or maybe just drop a couple of graphics cores and save battery.
  • Reply 43 of 63

i really hope the next iphone has something better then just a bigger screen. I have an iphone 4s and 1080p video , siri, and turn by turn directions  in ios6  is good enough for me. I wonder at what point will apples sales start dropping if they do not make major changes to the iphone. Also LTE is not a big thing for me since cablevision has area wide wifi.

• Reply 44 of 63
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

I really wonder what specs this new iPhone will have.  Maybe an A6 processor?

Very unlikely. The A6 will be a Cortex A15 paired with a Power VR Rogue. The former is just about ready but the latter isn't, and they'll require a 28nm fab which isn't possible in bulk yet.

The next iPhone will almost certainly use a 32nm underclocked A5X. It's a shame, as the A6 components represent an enormous jump in performance. 

• Reply 45 of 63
    radarradar Posts: 271member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnesota_Steve View Post

I'm pretty sure that is the Galaxy IV.

It's not yet but it's gonna be. Samdung, start your photocopiers.

• Reply 46 of 63

What I don't get is that all the leaked shots so far show serial numbers and QR codes.

And whilst the QR codes are difficult to read (although probably not all impossible), the serial numbers of the various pieces are easy to read..

So it would be easy to determine the point of the leak, possibly even the worker concerned (even on slide lines you could narrow it down) - so you have to wonder if this isn't some clever decoy using abandoned 4/4S prototypes? Afterall, they had to test the new docking connector on something??? Why not a few hundred hybrid 4S's.

• Reply 47 of 63

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I doubt it changed at all. I certainly hope it didn't change in resolution, since the sensor and lens are the same size.

Apparently the FaceTime camera is better quality, though.

"NOT LIKE THAT MATTERS ON AT&T, AMIRITE?"

You're right, the camera probably didn't change at all which certainly would be fine. Sony, today actually, announced sort of the next gen CMOS sensor with 13MP and upgraded yadda yadda, but shipping in January, so probably iPhone 2013.

• Reply 48 of 63
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member
    Well, if this is it, then the nqme shouldn't be too hard to find:
    It's the iPhone 4sl
  • Reply 49 of 63
    So when should we expect a full blown prototype dutifully misplaced by an Apple engineer in a local bar?
  • Reply 50 of 63
    jumejume Posts: 209member

I as iOS developer seriously think that 16:9 screen aspect is not correct. What the hell is going to happen with all the old apps that are written to match the 3:2 aspect ratio of older iPhones? I seriously hope they dont mess with this. Bigger screen? YES. Different screen aspect? HELL NO, PLEASE! We will end up with same problems as those Android developers face. Screen size galore fuckup and we all know how bad most of android apps look like...

• Reply 51 of 63
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    fraklinc wrote: »
    I hope these rumors are false cause that looks like the iPhone 4 from a few years ago. I just can't believe Apple spend 2 1/2 years working on something that looks like a stretch out version of the previous model.

Maybe they are getting a better experience out of this new shape. They get to try them out, after all, and they seem to know what they are doing. And changing the geometry of an iPhone is a very big deal when you are making millions of something you want to be as close to perfect as possible. Apple is not changing things for the sake of change alone.

I know it's a novel idea, but how about waiting to see how it works in your hand before judging?
  • Reply 52 of 63

Sorry but if this is the new iphone5 Im getting a Galaxy III.

I cant believe that would get past an internal focus group

• Reply 53 of 63

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

That also relied on the June/July release schedule. With the September release, this might change.

But the iPhone 4S didn't use that schedule and got the same chip as the iPad of that year.

Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

Well, if this is it, then the nqme shouldn't be too hard to find:

It's the iPhone 4sl

iPhone Epic 4G Touch.

Originally Posted by morgajx View Post

Sorry but if this is the new iphone5 Im getting a Galaxy III.

I cant believe that would get past an internal focus group

Bye. Enjoy your trash. Seeing as it looks just like the last two models which "got past the focus group" and have sold more than any other single phone in the past two years while having the best customer reviews.

• Reply 54 of 63

I really don't like this. Seriously, it should stay 4:3 and get bigger by width and height. I actually don't mind the current size of 3.5". For the last couple of weeks I've been paying more attention to the screen size, and it really doesn't bug me. That's just me. I want it to get bigger so the stupid fandroids can shut up about their tablet sized phones.

• Reply 55 of 63

This stretching of the screen makes no frickin' sense. I'm gonna keep my 4.

• Reply 56 of 63

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Bye. Enjoy your trash. 

It may not be to everyone's tastes, and I'd rather have a 4S - but calling the GS3 'trash' is preposterous nonsense. It's a decent phone.

• Reply 57 of 63
    retroneoretroneo Posts: 240member

No NFC antenna leaks yet.... :-(

• Reply 58 of 63
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    These next few weeks are gonna be a real… 

Dude how will Apps run now with different vertical res? How come iOS6 beta has no indication of different res and apps? How will developers have time to adjust ~all~ their apps? Is the extra vertical pixels not used by apps but just iOS? Why is AppleInsider not discussing the important ~software~ implications of 4" 16:9?
  • Reply 59 of 63
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    euphonious wrote: »
    It may not be to everyone's tastes, and I'd rather have a 4S - but calling the GS3 'trash' is preposterous nonsense. It's a decent phone.

Still weirdly laggy though. Or just not as "smooth" as iOS, Android has a different "pacing" in the interface compared to the svelte beauty of iOS.

In any case I am now using KendoUI so hopefully this will pull off iOS and Android. Running Android emulator on my Mac, seems generally OK so far.
  • Reply 60 of 63

Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Dude how will Apps run now with different vertical res? How come iOS6 beta has no indication of different res and apps? How will developers have time to adjust ~all~ their apps? Is the extra vertical pixels not used by apps but just iOS? Why is AppleInsider not discussing the important ~software~ implications of 4" 16:9?

Same way they run with different vertical AND horizontal resolution right now. "Is_6th_iPhone = true".

The beta has no indication because the betas never have indication. We didn't know anything about the higher resolution of the iPhone 4 or the different resolution of the iPad before either of their launches.

Of course the extra pixels are being used by apps.