YES!! Lady sues Movies Theaters for commercials

Comments

• Reply 20 of 45
    i remember the good old days when they used to show previews during the "previews" segment before a movie...
  • Reply 22 of 45
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I hate commercials too, but it's worth realizing that the ticket prices - high as they are - basically pay for the film reels. The theatres make money on concessions and now advertizing.

The proper way to protest this is not only to let the managers know that advertizing is not acceptable; it would also help if big-budget films flopped because people realized that the constantly-inflating budgets are what drive up the prices in the first place. Oh, and it might not hurt to choke down the concession stand prices, ludicrous as they are. And also to go to the 2 or 3 independent screens left in the country, if you can find them. :/

Do not mistake this post for sympathy for the theater chains. They suck, and I don't mind if their bottom line gets hurt in the process. I'm more concerned for the individual theaters.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    [quote]Originally posted by NoahJ:

<strong>

They are already here for some. However I have found that Fast-Forward is your friend here.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Your definition of Lockout must not be the same as everyone elses.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    this is so ridiculous.....

watching movies are not the same without some commercials and movie trailers.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I guess I'm the only one that doesn't mind the commercials...

I'd rather sit thru a couple of short commercials then more trailers. The trailers sometimes annoy me a lot more.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I can deal with a commercial or two. I used to love to see the trailers. But 5 or 6 commercials and 6 or 7 trailers is just obnoxious. If Hollywood actors weren't so grossly overpaid and the studios produced more worthy box office material (note to movie makers: this does not mean more CGI), maybe things would be reasonable again.

Ps: I must be really old, because I remember when movies didn't have commericals before the trailers, and people would be more than a little irked when the Will Rogers Institute would guilt you out of some money. Hell, I remember the gallon penny jar we had that when filled would allow all six of us in my family to get movie tickets. But now I sound really old and cranky.

[ 02-21-2003: Message edited by: BuonRotto ]</p>
  • Reply 27 of 45
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>

Ps: I must be really old, because I remember when movies didn't have commericals before the trailers, and people would be more than a little irked when the Will Rogers Institute would guilt you out of some money.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You shouldn't feel that old because I remember when I was little seeing the Will Rogers people.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I just treat the commercial/trailer time as my own buffer against habitual tardiness.

WHen I do get there on time I like watching jst to see wha the ad men think about our average intelligence. Usually, I catch films during the day, less people, and my work from home/remote location schedule pretty much assures me time to plan my day trips as I want. Sleep time is for work anyway.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>Ps: I must be really old, because I remember when movies didn't have commericals before the trailers</strong><hr></blockquote>

that was only about two years ago...
  • Reply 30 of 45
    I also hate commercials before the trailers before the movie. I have drastically cut down on the number of movies I see each year because of these commercials. I only see some of the big things (Star Wars, LoTR, Spiderman (I only watched Star Wars in the theatre so I didn't hear any spoilers before it came out on DVD)) and a few random movies that I go to with my family. I am glad someone decided to sue the theatre. After reading this thread, I am thinking about getting a bunch of my friends together to go buy tickets and then walk out when the ads start. The few times when I go to theatres that show ads, I put my thumb in my ear, cover up my eyes with my fingers, and quitely hum so I don't see/hear (evil) them. Unfortunately, the managers and whoever don't know that I do this, so it doesn't help. But the walk out would really grab their attention.

Andrew

PS: I remember the Will Roger's institute commercials. They had one a few years ago with the guy that played Hannibal when Hannibal came out and they have a new spokesperson this year.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i think what i am seeing here (and have heard from friends and feel likewise) is that some people like or dislike the trailers before movies (heck, part of why people are going to see daredevil is JUST to see the XMen2 trailer), and some people don't mind the commercials.

but i don't know ANYONE who actually LIKES or LOOKS FORWARD TO to see the commercials.

and yes, the commercials only started a few years ago. though, from what my wife said, europe has had them a bit longer, with guiness ads preceding movies in ireland when she was there 9 years ago. of course, guiness sponsors the entire country, so no big surprise there.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    Last night when I saw Old School I was surprised, there were only like 3 trailers and 1 commercial. Compared to usually 2 commercials and a lot of trailers.

And after the movie we snuck into Daredevil. That's seriously the worst movie I've ever seen. How the hell is it #1?
  • Reply 33 of 45
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Did someone mention the ridiculous price of concessions? Tell me about it. Call me cheap, but now I bring my own, even popcorn, buty usually we hit the bulk barn for treats, pop a couple of bottles of water in our bags and go check out a matinee -- when my mate can play hookie.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    123123 Posts: 278member
    [quote]Originally posted by rok:

<strong>and yes, the commercials only started a few years ago. though, from what my wife said, europe has had them a bit longer</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's true, for as long as I can remember we've had them here in Switzerland. If the advertised start time is 8.30, the movie will usually start sometime between 8.45 and 9 pm.
  • Reply 35 of 45
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    When I was living in Australia about 17 years ago we would go to the show and they would play a few music videos before the movie (I remember Dire Straits in particular). Now that was nice.

[edit]: On second thought, with the Music Industry as it is nowadays, that might be equally as nausiating as the ads...

[ 02-23-2003: Message edited by: 709 ]</p>
  • Reply 36 of 45
    I'm all for them killing off comercials even if that means I lose my trailers. If I want to see a cool trailer I'll just go to <a href="http://www.apple.com/trailers/"; target="_blank">Good ol apple.</a> for my trailer needs.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    My big beef is that even with rising ticket prices, commercials before the trailers, etc. etc.....

...the picture quality still sucks! Yeah, we have great digital sound, but it seems like the quality of the ACTUAL FILM projection is going down-hill. There are lines through the image, everything's slightly out of focus. Watching the DVD at home on my 27" TV ends up being WAY sharper.

So I'm hearing about digital projections, but where are they? They're getting all this money from concessions, ads, etc, why can't they spend some of it on making my movie experience better?

Fine, put commercials on the screen...so long as SOME of it goes to improving my movie-going experience.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    [quote]Originally posted by CosmoNut:

<strong>Watching the DVD at home on my 27" TV ends up being WAY sharper.</strong><hr></blockquote>

yeah, but it's difficult for us gadget whores to remember that we are the minority. most people don't have access to a personal 27" tv, so anything on the big screen is better (or at least i thought so back when all i had was a 13" tv... yep, my imac even had a bigger screen!)
  • Reply 39 of 45
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    actually, the part that really pisses me off, more than anything else is that ticket prices are going way up, even with the ads thrown in before the movies.

i look at it like TV. i don't mind ads on TV because they pay for the shows that i watch. if they want to show commercials in movies, they better make them free. there's no frickin way i'm going to keep paying money so i can watch someone else's advertisement that i could have seen for free on television.

assholes. i hate them all.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    actually, it just occured to me the easiest and best way to combat this would probably be to just make up a list of everyone who shows commercials before a movie, and boycott their products. if enough people did it, that would knock that crap off quick.

edit: oops, accidently quoted myself.....

[ 02-23-2003: Message edited by: alcimedes ]</p>