iPad demand expected to contribute to HP's largest-ever quarterly loss

Comments

• Reply 21 of 93

HP is in the red, and it's POSSIBLE the iPad is "contributing" in some way (significantly? Maybe… or maybe JUST a little?) to that loss… Fairly vague supposition of a headline there, no?

I think it's more likely a competitive combination of Apple iMacs, Laptops, AND iPads (since the quarterly numbers for all three keep growing year on year)… PLUS other players who are growing dramatically… I'd give the most weight to that last one, actually...

Look at Lenovo for one, a much more direct competitor to HP:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-08-15/lenovo-earnings-rise-30-percent-as-pc-maker-boosts-market-share

That's going to hurt HP as much or more than a surge in iPad sales.

It does seem like the markets are shifting and re-consolidating somewhat. In the mobile phone space, it's Apple and Samsung now selling the most. In the PC space, Lenovo is rocketing to the top spot…. I wonder if most of that is due to their dominance in the Chinese market, or if it carries over into other Asian markets, and the US and European markets as well?

IF the iPad is counted in the "PC" numbers, it gives Apple a roughly 25% of the US PC Market. So, perhaps the article's supposition can be fairly applied to the US Market… not sure about places where Lenovo is strong, and since they ARE about to pass HP as the number one company in PC sales (not counting iPads)...

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/48b2481e-e78d-11e1-8686-00144feab49a.html#axzz246lSgZBG

Interesting news all around in any case...

• Reply 22 of 93
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    quinney wrote: »
    I think competing with IBM was their wish, but the write down of EDS shows that wasn't working out either.

The problem for both HP and Dell, both of whom are trying to model themselves after the successful IBM turnaround, is that if they can't, they will be in a world of trouble.
  • Reply 23 of 93

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

I still don't agree with saying an iPad is a computer exactly. I currently own an iPad 2, iPhone, and have ordered a Macbook Pro with retina (so i'm not a hater). An iPad is like a PC but not at the same time. I argue both ways because it is and isn't a computer. But I do like how the article says, if iPads are counted.

The iPad most certainly is a computer.  The question isn't is is a computer, it's is it a PC.  My answer is it's the most personal computer ever made.  Which is why it's so quickly become so popular.  69 million units sold this year alone and likely over 100 million units sold next year.  It's competing head to head with windows PCs for sales, how do you call it anything else.

• Reply 24 of 93
    jimtjimt Posts: 16member

I remember back in the '50s when Hewlett-Packard made the best oscilloscopes, and other fine test equipment.

• Reply 25 of 93

The iPad has nothing to do with HP's quarterly loss. The reason for the loss is HP has one of the highest failure rates and their systems have so much bloatware on them it takes 5 mins too boot. I see more and more consumers moving to the Macbook Air. Everyone is trying to get on the ultrabook ride and to date the only one that comes close to the Macbook Air is the Asus Zenbook Prime. Even that falls short.

Also look at the new 15" Macbook Pro with Retina display and 256gb of solid state storage. I see forums where some complain that it is just too expensive. If we think back there was a time when the entry level 15" pro was close to the price of the current entry level Retina display. With those specs and a 200.00 education discount that doesn't seem like a bad deal at all.

The iPhone and iPad get the most press. I think it is often overlooked at how good the Macbook pro and Air  lineup is and how good Mountain Lion is compared to Windows 7. Everyone is moving towards the ultrabook lineup and I simply see the Air taking the vast majority of that business.

While the iPad may have an impact on some level to the personal computer lineup I don't believe it's at big as some make it out to be, cosumers are going to buy the iPad in addition to a personal computer based on the old definition.

Apple is working hard to have the iPhone, iPad and Mac lineup work perfectly together. It's at least my opinion with and iPhone, iPad and Mac their isn't anything you can't do either for personal use or business.

• Reply 26 of 93

Originally Posted by alandail View Post

The iPad most certainly is a computer.

"No. It's just a toy. The most you can do is type on it."

• Reply 27 of 93
    This is why we can't have nice things.
  • Reply 28 of 93

Quote:

Originally Posted by alandail View Post

The iPad most certainly is a computer.  The question isn't is is a computer, it's is it a PC.  My answer is it's the most personal computer ever made.  Which is why it's so quickly become so popular.  69 million units sold this year alone and likely over 100 million units sold next year.  It's competing head to head with windows PCs for sales, how do you call it anything else.

Lol, once again, being an Apple form. Of course this will happen. 

Now thats where it comes in as "is and is not."   Your opinion = is; mine = is,is not    Why? I can't run heavy programs on it, I can't do 3D modeling, and even if i could, it'd be hell without a mouse or a stylus (a fine point). However, my mom has replaced her computer altogether with the iPad (3). So is it? Nope Is it not? Nope

It's simply opinion, IMO haha         If the iPad were a full computer, why would I just have ordered a Macbook to finish out my college career?

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

There was an article recently that quoted surveys from recently, and a year ago, that showed a large percentage of iPad users having an iPad as their only computer. The percentage this year was larger than last year. Somewhere above 30%, I believe.

What about the other 70%? So for 30% of the world, the iPad is a full computer?    Then you can't say it is because to say it is, means that it surely is. 

I can't say a color is blue and expect everyone to agree when 70% of the other people say it is purple.

That said, I've argued the other way around before. You can't just say it is a computer or not, you would have to say something more like it is a mainstream computer for the average user or something

Cause for me, it doesn't do what a computer does; however, i love my iPad as a supplement to my computing experience.

• Reply 29 of 93

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunspot42 View Post

Megabucks Whitless has worked her magic at HP, I see.  A worthy successor to Carly Failorina...

Hey Carly, thanks for the Agilent spin off. Not that Agilent is doing that great, but Agilent stock is right about where it was 12 years ago at the IPO, whereas HP is down about 55-60%. Plus, Agilent has made a profit every quarter this last year (about 12% margin), and 4 of the last 5 years, and nearly broke even that 5th year. HP Scientific Instruments. 

• Reply 30 of 93

Quote:

Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

The iPad has nothing to do with HP's quarterly loss. The reason for the loss is HP has one of the highest failure rates and their systems have so much bloatware on them it takes 5 mins too boot. I see more and more consumers moving to the Macbook Air. Everyone is trying to get on the ultrabook ride and to date the only one that comes close to the Macbook Air is the Asus Zenbook Prime. Even that falls short.

Also look at the new 15" Macbook Pro with Retina display and 256gb of solid state storage. I see forums where some complain that it is just too expensive. If we think back there was a time when the entry level 15" pro was close to the price of the current entry level Retina display. With those specs and a 200.00 education discount that doesn't seem like a bad deal at all.

The iPhone and iPad get the most press. I think it is often overlooked at how good the Macbook pro and Air  lineup is and how good Mountain Lion is compared to Windows 7. Everyone is moving towards the ultrabook lineup and I simply see the Air taking the vast majority of that business.

While the iPad may have an impact on some level to the personal computer lineup I don't believe it's at big as some make it out to be, cosumers are going to buy the iPad in addition to a personal computer based on the old definition.

Apple is working hard to have the iPhone, iPad and Mac lineup work perfectly together. It's at least my opinion with and iPhone, iPad and Mac their isn't anything you can't do either for personal use or business.

Very interesting hypothesis. I could agree with you quiet a bit too. Seeing how I made the jump from a PC (was gonna be a dell) to a Macbook Pro with retina using the education discount. Very Very well informed your are my friend.

I would have to agree too because several of my friends have abandoned the PC for macbook pros

I also believe it is because people have to spend money on other things, so they are electing to wait on buying new computers. As well as, the iPad helping to extend the gap between buying new computers.

• Reply 31 of 93

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Both of whom ran for office in California (and lost, thank goodness)… 

Yep, they are definitely two peas of the same pod...

HP should receive a prize for the highest number of STUPID CEOs over the last 10 or 15 years. Carly Fiorina, the (b)witch, followed later by the mentally-challenged Whitman. What else could one expect in terms of financial results?

• Reply 32 of 93

Is it responsible for all the loss? Of course not. Is it responsible for most of it? No. Is it responsible for some of it? Of course it is.

A recent survey has shown that a remarkable 30%+ number of people with iPads have them as their only computer (other than perhaps a smartphone.). Thats almost double the percentage from last years survey, usi g double the number of iPads in the market. When the number of iPads sold is looked at, that's a large number, over 5 million for last quarter alone. I believe it, as I know of two people who only have iPads.

It could have kicked several hundred thousand sales from Hp's computers to the iPad. That would certainly contribute to a loss.

Even if people aren't using iPads alone, they are putting off buying a new computer in favor of an iPad, and that slows down computer sales as well, and just as effectively.

I believe that a lot of people who have taken a look at Win 8 have been scared off. It's receiving terrible press, both consumer and business. This will lead, m sure, to increased Mac and iPad sales.
  • Reply 33 of 93
    seankill wrote: »
    Lol, once again, being an Apple form. Of course this will happen. 
    Now thats where it comes in as "is and is not."   Your opinion = is; mine = is,is not    Why? I can't run heavy programs on it, I can't do 3D modeling, and even if i could, it'd be hell without a mouse or a stylus (a fine point). However, my mom has replaced her computer altogether with the iPad (3). So is it? Nope Is it not? Nope
    It's simply opinion, IMO haha         If the iPad were a full computer, why would I just have ordered a Macbook to finish out my college career?

What about the other 70%? So for 30% of the world, the iPad is a full computer?    Then you can't say it is because to say it is, means that it surely is. 

I can't say a color is blue and expect everyone to agree when 70% of the other people say it is purple.

That said, I've argued the other way around before. You can't just say it is a computer or not, you would have to say something more like it is a mainstream computer for the average user or something
    Cause for me, it doesn't do what a computer does; however, i love my iPad as a supplement to my computing experience.

You're missing the entire point here. That not everyone is using this exclusively means nothing when applied to whether this is a computer. I hope your major isn't in computing.

We can go back to the old car analogy. Sports cars are a small percentage of the car market. Does that mean they aren't cars? Think carefully. If you answer the wrong way, you've destroyed your iPad argument. If you answer the other wrong way, you show that you know nothing about cars.
  • Reply 34 of 93
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    seankill wrote: »
    I still don't agree with saying an iPad is a computer exactly.
    It isn't a computer, full stop

The catch is that not everyone needs a computer. A vast majority of folks just need something that will read email, show them photos etc. Before they had to get a computer because that was the only option. Or at least the only decent one. Smartphones were okay for some folks, but tablets really provided an option for a greater group. And they are going for it. And they vastly outnumber those that truly need a real computer.
  • Reply 35 of 93
    Meg can't save that train wreck known as HP. She went in, cut 27,000 heads, stock price went up and in the end she'll probably eek what she lost trying to turn California into her personnel slush fund.
    I expect her to bow out in less than six months.
  • Reply 36 of 93
    brlawyer wrote: »
    HP should receive a prize for the highest number of STUPID CEOs over the last 10 or 15 years. Carly Fiorina, the (b)witch, followed later by the mentally-challenged Whitman. What else could one expect in terms of financial results?

Let's not skip the worst CEO, Mark Hurd. He destroyed Hp's highly praised R&D department. This guy was the worst, because while Carly caused problems with the Compac buy, at least she was attempting to widen Hp's market. Hurd just cut back on everything for the sake of making short term profits and stock price increases that benefitted himself and other top executives. It's a good thing he was morally compromised, or he might have been there a lot longer.
  • Reply 37 of 93
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Dear HP,

When are you going to end the Meg Whitman experiment? Fire her already. The guy you fired who was doing well played hide the salami with staff, yet this EBayer will bring the reputation of this once great corporation down.

- The World.

• Reply 38 of 93
    charlituna wrote: »
    It isn't a computer, full stop
    The catch is that not everyone needs a computer. A vast majority of folks just need something that will read email, show them photos etc. before they had to get a computer because that was the only option. Or at least the only decent one. Smartphones we're okay for some folks, but tablets really provided an option for a greater group. And they are going for it. And they vastly outnumber those that truly need a real computer.

This argument is getting old. Of course it's a computer. It does far more than the first computers (mainframes, minicomputers, workstations and microcomputers) did.

99% of the work 99% of the people using conputers for personal use do, can easily be done on an iPad. There is a lot of work that 99% don't do, that can be done on an iPad as well.

And what do most people do with their computers?

Browse the web.
    Look something up on the web.
    Buy something on the web.
    Do e-mail.
    Play simple games.
    Do light printing such as pictures and letters.
    Some homework.

That covers almost everything for most people. If a device can do that, then it's all those people need. And a computer is a device that is something that computes. Even a smartphone is a computer.

You guys are not talking about what is a computer. You're defining what you think is sufficient for your own needs, and you think that if it isn't sufficient for your own needs, then by YOUR definition, it isn't a computer.

In my three person household, we have two iMacs, two MacBook Pro's, and one Mac Pro. Those are in addition to the four iPads we have.

By your definitions, none of those are computers, because enterprise users can't replace their mainframes with them. After all, they can't do any of that work. Or that of a supercomputer, or a minicomputer, or some high end workstations.

So where does the definition stop? After all that first Altair 8080 didn't do much of anything, but it was acknowledged as being a computer.
  • Reply 39 of 93
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    charlituna wrote: »
    It isn't a computer, full stop.

Based on what?

http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/computer
    com·put·er (km-pytr) KEY
    NOUN:
    A device that computes, especially a programmable electronic machine that performs high-speed mathematical or logical operations or that assembles, stores, correlates, or otherwise processes information.

Sure looks like the iPad meets that definition.

If you look at it realistically, the iPad can do everything that a computer from a decade ago (or less) could do. Are you arguing that a Pentium computer isn't a computer?
  • Reply 40 of 93

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Interesting that MacBook Pros and Airs continue to sell well though. To what do we attribute that phenomena?

I think it is because the Air is very different from most people's current computer.  It is a beautiful little machine that meets most people's needs, and is both compact and good looking.  

I think that the Air sells on its own merits.