YES!! Lady sues Movies Theaters for commercials

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Personally I hate the commercials, the product placement in films is bad enough. But I'm mixed about what to do.

Part of me says it's like cable TV. You pay for channels that still have ads. But part of me says with a movie, you're paying for an advertised product, but not getting what you pay for. That's false advertising.
  • Reply 42 of 45
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    [quote]Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar:

<strong>

a squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me? "! .</strong><hr></blockquote> . . .said the maskara snake.....

[ 02-24-2003: Message edited by: pfflam ]</p>
  • Reply 43 of 45
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Shit if you want to talk about cable how about when HBO or any of the others shows a "making of ... whatever is in theaters now" bullshit. I ****ing hate that.
  • Reply 44 of 45
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    from my June 20th journal entry: (in regards to the movie scooby-doo)

[quote] JESUS CHRIST what the **** is up with the millions of commercials before the previews?!! i mean, ok so there are previews before the movie, fine--i like to watch previews, im in the mood to see a movie, so whats wrond with scoping out whats coming up later on in the month? but COMMERCIALS?? and i dont mean just regular commercials that you see on tv (but those are there also) but i mean specially made commercials just for the movies... thats just weird... AND not only that some of the previews even make you not only want to see the movie (or buy the product they are selling) they also try and get you to buy concessions within the commercials... for example.. there is a scene from one of the commercials with johnny bravo about moviephone.com.... ok fine, no big deal, he is taking someone to the movies and he is walking into the theartre and he says "ok i got my soda got my popcorn" (hinting that YOU should go buy popcorn and soda if you want to be cool like johnny bravo....) but he forgot his date at the concession stand... further increasing the importance of the concessions over the really important thins--like women ok, ok, ok--so maybe i went a bit overboard... but thats just what happenes when you stick me in a movie, eating my candy and drinking my soda (i didnt think to buy the stuff beforehand, we were late (how predicatable, eheh) <hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 45 of 45
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>The trailers I love. Always my favorite part of going to a movie usually. The commercials, however, are annoying...especially since you came to see a movie and paid a wad of money to NOT be home seeing them on TV.

However, I'm not about to sue over it. While I understand the chick's frustration, it's hardly something to get too torqued up about. Would could the commercials, all added together, possibly come out to? Two minutes? Just use it as time to get your food and drink all settled, your coat off, look around and find the nearest available exit signs, etc.

Don't SUE over it, for crying out loud. It's not as though the theater was selling Big Macs in the lobby...</strong><hr></blockquote>

With all due respect, this is the same kind of attitude people bring up when our privacy rights are brough into consideration. You may have heard that the FBI is able to ask and receive information from a Librarian on your reading habits and any other information, and you will never know. While you might not think this matters, two issues are brought into question: 1) What if you DID check out some book on the FBI's 'warning list', and tomorrow you're getting questioned, maybe even tossed in jail for suspected terrorism. 2) When does it stop? If you don't stop these people from invading our privacy, it's just going to build up like a snowball rolling down a very large mountain. Eventually, too much momentum is going to build up.

So relating this to the idea of television commercials in move theatres... I think it is fair to say that advertising is everywhere. You cannot go anywhere without someone trying to sell you something. Beggers on the street, internet ads, television ads, telemarketers, 'Would you like to SuperSize?', 'Would you like the extended warranty?'. etceteras. They're just going to keep finding more and more ways to place ads everywhere possible. The momentum has already built up enough.

You say it isn't like they're selling Big Macs in the lobby... and I say, 'Yet'. Just you wait. I say good for this woman. If successful, she can knock two minutes of commercials out of my $12.50 movie going experience.

Besides, the worst part is when they show ads from, say, local furniture companies. You know the ones. They shot their ads for television in *video*, and they had that *video* signal transferred to 35mm film, and as such it looks like total and utter crap. They should at least prohibit those clowns from advertising