Parts believed to be from Apple's next-gen iPhone fit together 'perfectly'

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A collection of parts said to be from pre-release builds of Apple's next iPhone have been put together by an online repair firm, which found that they fit "perfectly."

Pictures of the partially assembled components were shared with AppleInsider on Monday by iResQ. They show parts for the docking port and and headphone jack assembly fit inside of a frame claimed to be for Apple's next-generation iPhone, frequently referred to in the media as the "iPhone 5."

Not only did the parts fit "perfectly" into the frame, but one of iResQ's technicians was able to screw the assembly into the pre-aligned screw holes inside the frame, according to a blog post by the repair firm. The fact that all of the parts fit together lends even more support to the belief that the components are legitimate.

Shown side by side with an iPhone 4S, the new device has a slightly taller design, aligning with rumors that Apple plans to feature a larger 4-inch display on its next-generation iPhone.

iPhone

iResQ noted that the frame and back casing they obtained is an incomplete shell that needs more parts. They said there are many missing plastic gaskets and fittings that should make the tiny gaps between the docking port and headphone jack fit more snugly in the final product.

iPhone

The partial assembly also hints that the speaker in the next iPhone will fit into the device similar to how it has been placed in the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S. The repair firm speculated that the speaker on the next iPhone will, as a result, be comparable to the quality with the previous two generations.

iPhone

The collection of parts assembled comes on the heels of another series of pictures that claim to show the display assembly for Apple's next iPhone. They, too, show a device with a slightly taller display.

Other changes expected, and supported by leaked components, are a headphone jack moved to the bottom of the device, and a redesigned, smaller dock connector. AppleInsider detailed last week information on the new dock connector, which is expected to feature a 9-pin design that can be connected in two opposite orientations.

Apple is expected to hold a media event on September 12 to formally announce its sixth-generation iPhone, a date that would likely place the formal launch on September 21, given the company's timeframes in previous years. It has been rumored that Apple will begin accepting preorders for its next iPhone the same day that it is announced.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62

Now that the form factor (and parts) are all but confirmed, I am wondering if I will feel the extra length in my pocket while sitting down.

• Reply 2 of 62
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... Pictures of the partially assembled components were shared with AppleInsider on Monday by iResQ. ...

It would be so funny if Apple was just sitting back and making a big list of all the repair shops leaking these parts onto the Internet, and subsequently decided to discontinue parts service to all of them based on the violation of their agreements.  

I would love to see all these immoral idiots shut down for good and lose their livelihood.  It would serve them right and be highly entertaining in the process.  

I'm sure there would be endless threads on AppleInsider as a result as well.  No doubt they would be filled with idiot trolls arguing that Apple had "no right" (to terminate service based on a clear contract violation), and so forth.  This is just my own private fantasy of course, but I hope Apple does it.  It would certainly be within their rights.  

• Reply 3 of 62
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It would certainly be within their rights.  

While I agree with you that anyone leaking can and should be punished however severely Apple deems, part of the fun of the whole thing is seeing these parts, you know?

• Reply 4 of 62

Part leaks spur discussions and build hype before a product release. Even though Cook said he wanted to "double down on security", I'm sure Apple doesn't mind this kinda stuff at all.

• Reply 5 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It would be so funny if Apple was just sitting back and making a big list of all the repair shops leaking these parts onto the Internet, and subsequently decided to discontinue parts service to all of them based on the violation of their agreements.  

I would love to see all these immoral idiots shut down for good and lose their livelihood.  It would serve them right and be highly entertaining in the process.  

I'm sure there would be endless threads on AppleInsider as a result as well.  No doubt they would be filled with idiot trolls arguing that Apple had "no right" (to terminate service based on a clear contract violation), and so forth.  This is just my own private fantasy of course, but I hope Apple does it.  It would certainly be within their rights.  

I am fairly certain that Apple does not work with any of these iOS repair shops, nor do they have parts agreements with them either. Most of the repair parts they use are not actually Apple parts, and the original Apple parts that they do sometimes offer come at a high price because of how difficult they are to acquire.

• Reply 6 of 62

On the other hand, parts and feature leaks contribute to a feeling of being let down on reveal day.

• Reply 7 of 62
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoRisinSD View Post

I am fairly certain that Apple does not work with any of these iOS repair shops, nor do they have parts agreements with them either. Most of the repair parts they use are not actually Apple parts, and the original Apple parts that they do sometimes offer come at a high price because of how difficult they are to acquire.

Well, I don't know the details either except the rather obvious ones which are that the parts are definitely not supposed to be photographed and put on the Internet.  Someone, at some point in the chain is directly violating their agreement and it should be pretty easy to tell who that is.  I'd just love to see them reap some consequences is all. 

Several of the parts shops have also previously indicated that they order the parts through "regular" channels and that they are allowed to have them as part of their repair business which makes some kind of sense to me.  If they did arrive at them legitimately as they claim, it's a given that they aren't allowed to show them on the Internet and have violated whatever licensing and accreditation agreements they may have with Apple.  

• Reply 8 of 62
    softekysofteky Posts: 136member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

Now that the form factor (and parts) are all but confirmed, I am wondering if I will feel the extra length in my pocket while sitting down.

(with apologies to Mae West)... Only if new tech normally has that effect on you.

• Reply 9 of 62

I wouldn't be surprised at all if these parts were part of a larger controlled leak, and they're all fake and the real next-gen iPhone is a much bigger improvement. Sketched it out once, a 720p screen at the same resolution would be 4.5", and if they cut out the side bezel and halve the top and bottom bezels, the device wouldn't be significantly larger than the 3.5" generations.

• Reply 10 of 62

Originally Posted by Jsyedinak View Post

On the other hand, parts and feature leaks contribute to a feeling of being let down on reveal day.

No, that's on you, the individual. It's your choice to believe that Apple is going to make a tablet with a touchscreen on the BACK or an iPhone with solar panels or inductive charging. It's also your choice to whine about it on forums when these nonsensical ideas that were never going to come true don't come true. image

Originally Posted by Mike Barriault View Post

…cut out the side bezel and halve the top and bottom bezels…

What, the nonexistent side bezels and the top and bottom bezels crucial to using the device in landscape, you mean?

I seem to have the opposite feeling on bezels than most. I prefer almost zero bezel around my paintings and a usably large bezel around my electronics. 

I just don't get this. It's a waste of wall space to me. 

Now, I've nothing against ornate frames at all in the right setting, I just hate pictures with all the extra space between the frame and the image. I generally prefer the artwork and the wall have as little between them as possible.

• Reply 11 of 62

Quote:

For those of us who follow Apple on an hour-by-hour basis, sure.  New flash: most of the consumer world doesn't and are excited to see the "new" product on launch day.

• Reply 12 of 62
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    harbinger wrote: »

I've never had a complaint about the extra length. ;)
  • Reply 13 of 62
    If this [U]is[/U] the new iPhone design then I can't help feeling somewhat underwhelmed by it.

Reports of future Apple products on these sites have been uncannily accurate of late come official launch date.

However, an iPad mini announcement would go someway to remedying my disappointment.
  • Reply 14 of 62
    harbinger wrote: »

Apple expects garment makers to get "Made for iPhone"-certified pockets. :lol:
  • Reply 15 of 62

I wonder what the Android people speculate about for the next gen high-end Android phones after one is released...what will the future hold in 3-6 months?

Like:

It will run Jellybean! Maybe.

It will have a 6.2" screen. Most likely. Bigger is better. One-handed use be damned!

It will have a hexacore processor. It'll need it to run Android smoothly (ok more smoothly)...even with a pat of "Butter".

It will have a high-res screen...that inches ever closer to Apple's Retina PPI but doesn't hit it. Who cares, it has a hexacore processor.

The camera will be "eh", but who cares, it might run Jellybean!

At least it will still have Flash! Full Internet here I come! Oh wait...

Meanwhile we sit here and speculate on pins for a dock connector. 

Just food for thought.

• Reply 16 of 62

Quote:

I don't think this is a major issue. So many people commented about being disappointed in the 4S and it still broke sales records.

• Reply 17 of 62
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iPhone

Looks just as thick as the old iPhone in this pic sadly.

• Reply 18 of 62

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Looks just as thick as the old iPhone in this pic sadly.

Yeah, heaven forbid the battery is usable.

• Reply 19 of 62
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member

The longer screen is better for maps. But only if you're traveling north/south.

• Reply 20 of 62

It's obviously a fake: the screws are all regular ol' phillips. :o