Parts believed to be from Apple's next-gen iPhone fit together 'perfectly'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    ... Pictures of the partially assembled components were shared with AppleInsider on Monday by iResQ. ...

I would love to see all these immoral idiots shut down for good and lose their livelihood.  It would serve them right and be highly entertaining in the process.  

Celebrating anyone's "losing their livelihood" in these economic times seems backwards. Plus, if you can't see anyone's face or reaction to something someone does to them (positive or negative alike), where is the entertainment value for you?

Besides, if Apple canceled every manufacturer's order that had a mole in their midst, there wouldn't be an iPhone 5 on 9/21. There wouldn't even be an iPhone 4S Second Edition.
  • Reply 22 of 62
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Why does the inside tooling look different?
  • Reply 23 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I've never had a complaint about the extra length. ;)

Oh, oh you, you...

• Reply 24 of 62
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I think we're resigned to the fact there will be some parts leaks, it happens, but it seems like there are too many of them this time around compared to previous iPhones.
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Why does the inside tooling look different?

It does seem to be machined with a different pattern than in previous images, but that can be normal during the development of a part, different tool paths can be used to try to optimize for speed, tool wear, etc. The cleanup around the bosses look odd, where you have tool bits at different heights that shouldn't be, leaving a channel around the bosses. The metal part looks like bare aluminum to me, I don't understand what is going on there. The more mature parts look like they were coated gray.
  • Reply 25 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Looks just as thick as the old iPhone in this pic sadly.

The iPhone 4 is missing the top glass.  Imagine another layer in the "Glass-metal-glass" sandwich on the iPhone4 on the right and the iPhone5 will be thinner.

• Reply 26 of 62
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Well it's a pretty awful picture and you can see the phone is on some kind of weird slant as well as being slightly twisted.  

It's supposed to be thinner by 0.7 mm which is pretty small but it should be noticeable in a proper side by side shot. 

• Reply 27 of 62

Quote:

In that pic it does, but fully assembled it should be significantly thinner.

In the 4/4S, the glass sits on top of the metal frame. In the new iPhone, the glass sits inside the frame. Considering the old iPhone had glass on both sides, that adds up to a considerable savings.

• Reply 28 of 62
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crunch View Post

Celebrating anyone's "losing their livelihood" in these economic times seems backwards. Plus, if you can't see anyone's face or reaction to something someone does to them (positive or negative alike), where is the entertainment value for you?...

The "entertainment value" would be from all the forum postings I was imagining and whether I "celebrate" or not has no bearing on anything.  The fact is that if any of these people lose their business as a result of something like that happens they have no one to blame but themselves.  People who lie, break agreements, (or the law) etc. need to get caught.  Without such consequences, there is no society.   

I'm not being mean to say that I would delight in the law being upheld for a change and for cheaters to reap some consequences for their actions.  It's a good thing. It's something we all should be cheering for.  Without the law and the concept of right/wrong we are nothing but a bunch of grunting animals with no more rights than the average fish, fowl, or bear in the woods.  I prefer to think humans are more than just base animals, otherwise there isn't much point to anything.  

• Reply 29 of 62
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by 11thIndian View Post

The iPhone 4 is missing the top glass.  Imagine another layer in the "Glass-metal-glass" sandwich on the iPhone4 on the right and the 6th iPhone will be thinner.

My… stars. Do you really think that the new iPhone will be able to pull that off? Having NO extra thickness outside the bands? Somehow I don't see it, but that's me. Maybe I'm just used to bricks.

And it can't be said enough, I would bring it back up to first-gen thickness before I accepted ANOTHER loss of battery life. LTE is going to be a killer unless Apple's using the absolute newest chips.

• Reply 30 of 62
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    I wonder what the Android people speculate about for the next gen high-end Android phones after one is released...what will the future hold in 3-6 months?

Like:

It will run Jellybean! Maybe.
    It will have a 6.2" screen. Most likely. Bigger is better. One-handed use be damned!
    It will have a hexacore processor. It'll need it to run Android smoothly (ok more smoothly)...even with a pat of "Butter".
    It will have a high-res screen...that inches ever closer to Apple's Retina PPI but doesn't hit it. Who cares, it has a hexacore processor.
    The camera will be "eh", but who cares, it might run Jellybean!
    At least it will still have Flash! Full Internet here I come! Oh wait...

Meanwhile we sit here and speculate on pins for a dock connector. 

Just food for thought.

Heh, I was just reading one the other day. The discussion mainly centered around the choice of SoCs and the release schedule for Key lime Pie:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2263023
  • Reply 31 of 62
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I've never had a complaint about the extra length. ;)

Is that an iPhone 5 in your pocket or ...

imageimage

• Reply 32 of 62
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    No, that's on you, the individual. It's your choice to believe that Apple is going to make a tablet with a touchscreen on the BACK or an iPhone with solar panels or inductive charging. It's also your choice to whine about it on forums when these nonsensical ideas that were never going to come true don't come true. :lol:

What, the nonexistent side bezels and the top and bottom bezels crucial to using the device in landscape, you mean?

I seem to have the opposite feeling on bezels than most. I prefer almost zero bezel around my paintings and a usably large bezel around my electronics. 

I just don't get this. It's a waste of wall space to me. 

LL

Now, I've nothing against ornate frames at all in the right setting, I just hate pictures with all the extra space between the frame and the image. I generally prefer the artwork and the wall have as little between them as possible.

While I agree with you as to that particular piece, often disconnecting the image from the frame with a large border is effective. Particularly with photography, the frame is a distracting influence. But it must be done right, as the border, and the frame become part of the art itself.
  • Reply 33 of 62
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Well it's a pretty awful picture and you can see the phone is on some kind of weird slant as well as being slightly twisted.   

It doesn't look like it fits very well at all. The earphone jack is not centered and the dock has all kinds of space around it. Perhaps this image was taken before they screwed it in place. image

• Reply 34 of 62
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    mstone wrote: »
    It doesn't look like it fits very well at all. The earphone jack is not centered and the dock has all kinds of space around it. Perhaps this image was taken before they screwed it in place. confused.gif

I would call the earphone jack at least partly an issue of parallax. I think there might be an inner bezel that's missing. iPhone 4/4S has an inner bezel, and that explains the depth/gap.
  • Reply 35 of 62
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if these parts were part of a larger controlled leak
    Isn't the point of these leaks intentional by Apple? I mean, with so many significant changes, don't they want to give the third party accessory makers a little bit of a heads up? I don't think there is any official internal communication between Apple and those certified suppliers (and there are many who don't certify anyway), so the only way to give any kind of clue would be through a staged leak. Otherwise, the new iPhone would hit the streets and there would be no accessories for it in the supply chain for several months.

I always thought Apple orchestrated the whole thing ...

Now that recovered prototype found in the bar, a fully assembled and functional iPhone ... I don't think Apple wanted that at all ...
  • Reply 36 of 62
    dmarcootdmarcoot Posts: 191member

Its not. It the glass is thiner and there is no glass on the back. It is about as thick as the metal band on the Iphone 4

• Reply 37 of 62

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

…with so many significant changes, don't they want to give the third party accessory makers a little bit of a heads up?

Since they're the ones making the products, why wouldn't they just TELL the accessory makers the exact dimensions of their new products… 

I don't think there is any official internal communication between Apple and those certified suppliers (and there are many who don't certify anyway), so the only way to give any kind of clue would be through a staged leak.

What in the world kind of sense does that make?

Otherwise, the new iPhone would hit the streets and there would be no accessories for it in the supply chain for several months.

When it hits the streets, there won't be a single accessory that will work with it anyway! Have you seen any Dock Connector 2 pin descriptions leaked?! Leaks are NOT how case and accessory manufacturers find things out!

• Reply 38 of 62
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post

Part leaks spur discussions and build hype before a product release. Even though Cook said he wanted to "double down on security", I'm sure Apple doesn't mind this kinda stuff at all.

These leaks impact sales months before a new model release. There's very good reasoning behind keeping new product releases secret: 1) giving companies like Samsung less time to clone their products and 2) limiting the Osborne effect which can kill the company's revenue.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 39 of 62
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member

Quote:

Extra length and just as thick with plenty of leaked photos.  What demographic are they aiming for with this?

• Reply 40 of 62

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Extra length and just as thick with plenty of leaked photos.  What demographic are they aiming for with this?

{ERR MEMOVF: Statement too loaded}

????