'No resolution' in last-minute Apple, Samsung settlement talks

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple and Samsung CEOs met on Monday in a final attempt to resolve issues related to the ongoing patent trial in California, however one of the company's counsel informed presiding Judge Lucy Koh the talks yielded no resolution.

According to an in-court report from The Verge, Samsung lawyer Kevin Johnson told Judge Koh, "The CEOs did speak...There was no resolution."

It was previously reported that Apple CEO Tim Cook and Samsung chief Kwon Oh Hyun would engage in a private telephone conversation to reach some sort of consensus before the Apple v. Samsung patent trial went to jury deliberation, though the eleventh hour talks apparently failed.

"We will see you tomorrow," Johnson said, according to further coverage from Reuters.

Johnson's announcement came at the end of Monday's proceedings which saw legal positioning by both parties over a hotly-contested verdict form and favorable jury instructions.

The verdict questionnaire is of particular importance as it is the document jurors will fill out when deciding the case. Judge Koh earlier on Monday voiced concerns that the 21-page document was overly complex, and might serve to confuse jurors who already have to sift through legal and technical patent details in deciding the case.

Tentative Verdict Form width=
Page one of the tentative Apple v. Samsung verdict form. | Source: Apple v. Samsung court documents

Among the issues the jury must decide are which patents, if any, are infringed upon by either companies' products. Adding to that are calculations of damages to be paid out if infringement warrants such action.

Apple and Samsung counsel will present their closing arguments on Tuesday, with jury deliberation scheduled to begin shortly after. Depending on how long the jury takes to come to a decision, the high-stakes Apple v. Samsung patent trial may come to an end as soon as this week.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18

"developing"?

And Judge Koh needs to buckle down and make a verdict.

• Reply 2 of 18
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

No surprise there. Back to the salt mines.

• Reply 3 of 18
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    "developing"?

And Judge Koh needs to buckle down and make a verdict.

It's trial by jury so won't we have to wait for them to deliberate?
  • Reply 5 of 18
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's trial by jury sodoeantbshe have to wait for them to deliberate?

Siri needs a 'too drunk to speak' mode, it seems.

That'd weed out people who think they can get away with not enunciating things, too. image

• Reply 6 of 18

Quote:

It's trial by jury sodoeantbshe have to wait for them to deliberate?

Alright. I wasn't paying attention

• Reply 7 of 18
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    One of the business analysts on the investment television channels was saying that Apple really has nothing to lose in this (and hence doesn't need to negotiate.) The financial reasons are irrelevant, only the validity of the patents are.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Alright. I wasn't paying attention

Me neither as you can see by my iPhone's lack of predictive text.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I tried to read that document. I get the feeling they are going to be deliberating for a long, long time.image

• Reply 10 of 18

Quote:

Me neither as you can see by my iPhone's lack of predictive text.

Made me lolololololololz but i didnt say anything

• Reply 11 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misa View Post

One of the business analysts on the investment television channels was saying that Apple really has nothing to lose in this (and hence doesn't need to negotiate.) The financial reasons are irrelevant, only the validity of the patents are.

That analyst is really clueless. If Apple lost, a whole bunch of other companies will start to build smartphones just like the iPhone, and tablets just like the iPad. Apple's market share will tank. How can Apple has 'nothing to lose'????

• Reply 12 of 18
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member

While I believe that Apple deserves to win big time, morally and ethically, I have a great deal of foreboding about an outcome dependant on a (surely non-expert) jury. Trial by jury in open court is a supreme expression of liberty, however, I sincerely doubt the ability of jury members to maintain a clinical detachment to the arguments and evidence presented. Sanscum may well 'pull a swifty'! I hope that my concern is misplaced.

All the best.

• Reply 13 of 18
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

That analyst is really clueless. If Apple lost, a whole bunch of other companies will start to build smartphones just like the iPhone, and tablets just like the iPad. Apple's market share will tank. How can Apple has 'nothing to lose'????

I suspect that if other companies could do what Apple does and has done, they would, regardless of the threat of possible legal action some time in the future.

• Reply 14 of 18

I just had a thought. This could be a show, you know if you try this with Apple they will go the total distance. 

On the other hand as mentioned above we are talking about a bunch of regular folks, this could backfire.

I really hope this is the end of patent wars, I'd love to see incredible innovation that push forward not aside.

flick.

• Reply 15 of 18

Originally Posted by Flick Justice View Post

I really hope this is the end of patent wars, I'd love to see incredible innovation that push forward not aside.

You're joking, right? This is just the beginning. It has nothing to do with innovation, just the lack thereof.

• Reply 16 of 18

I'm shocked they didn't get anything done.

• Reply 17 of 18
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    I'm glad there was no agreement. This case NEEDS to go to trial and go all the way. There needs to be a final, definitive conclusion to this and everyone in the tech industry will be watching what happens.

If Scamscum wins, it sends a bad message that it's okay to steal others' IP and that patents are irrelevant.

If Apple wins, it puts everyone on notice (especially Samesung) that they need to invent their own stuff.

It's about time we have finally reached this point. Kudos to Tim Cook for not backing down. I hope he goes all the way in this trial.

Only crybaby fandroids and iHaters will keep crying the "patenting rectangles with rounded corners" story which any sane person knows is not the case.
  • Reply 18 of 18

Quote:

It's trial by jury so won't we have to wait for them to deliberate?

For how many days?