After blowing past $500B market cap, Apple seen headed for $1 trillion

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Could it be true the first 1 trillion dollar company?  On the other hand I honestly think that Apple is gonna need much more than iPhone and iPad's to make it there.

• Reply 42 of 55
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Keep in mind that America loves a winner, until they actually win. Then it's tear down and destroy time. The new American culture is that any winner must have won by deceit, theft, oppression, greed, or criminal actions. The winner "didn't build that" after all. I'm glass- half-empty on this one. The long knives are being sharpened.

While that might be true and the media might start coming down on Apple, deserved or not, it won't necessarily negatively impact the stock price.   I think the bigger issue is whether or not Apple has another product line beyond the iPhone and iPad  (rather than just another updated model.)    The second issue is whether any other tech company might come along and jump the gun again in terms of phone, pad or computer technology that puts them way ahead of Apple and would put a dent in their sales.     If that happens, Apple might never get to a $trillion - in fact, the stock might drop 30% on such news.   The other factor I see that could negatively impact the stock price is Apple's continued arrogance.  Eventually, I predict pushback on Apple's strategy of making their computers non-upgradable and non-repairable.   Just at the time when IT departments have finally warmed up to Apple based upon user demands, corporations are going to go back to PCs when they become frustrated with this policy.  Can't change batteries, can't  upgrade hard drives, etc.  

All the bugs around the release of Mountain Lion also disturbs me.   It didn't really add much in the way of usable, practical features and many users are experiencing the battery life losses and computer freeze-ups.   This doesn't portend well for the future.

The other big issue is” what does Apple look like 10 or 20 years from now?” I've felt that the big buildup in facilities and headcount is for much more than managing retail, manufacturing and the cloud services. I think Apple is planning a whole new product line that we know nothing about yet. It wouldn't surprise me to see Apple enter the field of consumer robotics which I think will dominate the market 20 years from now, if not sooner. I think Siri is the first infinitesimal step to get there.

• Reply 43 of 55
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    zoetmb wrote: »
    While that might be true and the media might start coming down on Apple, deserved or not, it won't necessarily negatively impact the stock price.  

No, it just takes some idiot, unknown analyst. It happened today and here's what Dow Jones had to say:
    Shares are down 1.8% at $653.32, reversing earlier gains. The stock hit a fresh all-time high of $674.88 in midday trading, but started selling off as word circulated that a research outfit called Oracle Investment Research had downgraded Apple to hold from buy. (We'll admit, we had never heard of this firm until today when news of the downgrade starting spreading across Twitter).

Stock is off more than 3% from its peak (about $20). While I'm not worried long term, it amazes me that some analyst that no one even heard of can cause a stock to drop that much. Are investors (both private and institutional) really that stupid?
  • Reply 44 of 55
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    How come Apple's 5% is smaller than the Nokia 5%? Notice also that several of the 1% slices are of a different size on the graph. Does this indicate that the numbers on the graphic are rounded and the graph actually indicates the real value or that we are just seeing an example of somebody putting together a crappy (read sloppy) graph?

Just curious.

It's probably a rounding thing as their share values won't be exactly whole percentages but there's a chance they entered the data wrong. The full report is here:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.visionmobile.com/rsc/researchreports/VisionMobile-Clash-of-Ecosystems_v1.pdf
  • Reply 45 of 55
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Could it be true the first 1 trillion dollar company?  On the other hand I honestly think that Apple is gonna need much more than iPhone and iPad's to make it there.

Agreed.  $600 billion is not exactly "closing in" on one trillion.  They've got a long way to go.  I guess being the most valuable company in the world just isn't good enough for some people.

• Reply 46 of 55
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

No, it just takes some idiot, unknown analyst. It happened today and here's what Dow Jones had to say:

Stock is off more than 3% from its peak (about $20). While I'm not worried long term, it amazes me that some analyst that no one even heard of can cause a stock to drop that much. Are investors (both private and institutional) really that stupid?

Do you even have to ask?

• Reply 47 of 55
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

Of course if Apple fails to meet these wild analyst expectations, the doomsdayers will cluck that it's the beginning of the end for Apple. 

Apple usually blows past the analyst predictions.

For a more detailed analysis, this guy has interesting comments: 

Understanding Apple: Flash – New High – Where is it Going?

• Reply 48 of 55
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

A trillion smackers ?!?

Whoa ....

That's a lotta simoleans.

Unfortunately, it will never happen ....

If Steve were here, OK -- but he isn't, so no.

Uh, based on what? You realize that Apple's stock was $350 or so at Steve's death? It's almost doubled since then. Don't sound so certain of yourself. 

• Reply 49 of 55
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Uh, based on what? You realize that Apple's stock was $350 or so at Steve's death? It's almost doubled since then. Don't sound so certain of yourself. 

So much for the "Apple can't survive without Jobs" whining.
  • Reply 50 of 55

I can just see it now. Just as Apple are about to break the $1Trillion mark on the launch of their most eagerly awaited device yet. Yes you've guessed it the iPoo, the all interconnected lavatory, But wait there's a leak, suddenly the competition is crying patent law on, yes you've guessed it Poo. The share price drops by an almighty 40% in one day (yes that's more than any of us (bar Apple directors) earn in a zillion life years). But there is a saviour out there who says and just one more thing...

It's called iBlution !!!

We are all rescued, (or at least the (remaining) shareholders + directors) and the stock price rockets 400%. 

And the moral of the story boys and girls is; someone is always left holding the paper !!!

• Reply 51 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The Apple haters will say reaching a trillion is a sign of weakness and that it proves Apple is a failure.

It could also be a sign of weakness... in the US Dollar as a currency.

Runaway inflation. Just sayin' image

• Reply 52 of 55

Quote:

So much for the "Apple can't survive without Jobs" whining.

Don't worry. John Browett is working overtime to reverse this situation.

• Reply 53 of 55

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

John Browett is working overtime to reverse this situation.

He's firing on all cylinders. And cubes.

• Reply 55 of 55

Quote:

Yeah, or another 'analyst note" I spotted on Yahoo Finance asking a bonehead FUD question, "Is Apple Bubblicious?" Inserting the simple notion that what we're seeing in Apple's recent stock rise MIGHT be a bubble… What they didn't add was that it could ALSO be a very sound price correction, being as the stock is rather underpriced given P/E, EPS, etc...

That's the amazing thing of it to me… a strong stock with so many positive fundamentals going DOWN like it did after the last quarterly report? That smacks of 'market manipulation' to me. And sure enough, if you were buying in at that depressed $530, you just made a cool $130 ~ $140 a share… in what, under 2 months? A stock trader's dream stock is what this is… easy to knock down, easy to make a bundle from when it inevitably 'self-corrects'...