OS X 10.8.1 beta said to substantially improve battery life

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple's pre-release build of OS X 10.8.1 Mountain Lion has improved MacBook battery life by as much as four hours, according to one developer.

The substantial improvements were discovered by an unnamed developer who spoke with Softpedia after installing OS X 10.8.1. Previously, the developer's MacBook was reportedly showing a battery life of 4 hours and 5 minutes after a full charge, but installing the beta software increased the advertised battery life to over 8 hours.

The details suggest Apple is working to fix battery life issues that some users have reported since the release of Mountain Lion on the Mac App Store in July. AppleInsider first highlighted earlier this month a number of MacBook Pro and MacBook Air owners who complained of battery performance issues after installing Mountain Lion.

Those complaints were later validated by a series of tests conducted by ArsTechnica. Their unscientific data showed that Apple's new operating system drains batteries significantly faster than its predecessor, OS X 10.7 Lion.

While Apple has not publicly commented on any battery issues with Mountain Lion, a number of users who have posted on Apple's official community forum have said that company representatives reached out to them and obtained system information in an attempt to fix the issue.

Mountain Lion

Only certain MacBook models have been reported by users to experience the battery drain issue introduced with the launch of Mountain Lion. Some others have said that their battery life actually increased since updating to OS X 10.8.

The first pre-release beta of OS X 10.8.1 was supplied to Apple's developer community earlier this month. Documentation accompanying Build 12B13 revealed it aims to correct a display noise issue when using Thunderbolt, but made no mention of battery life.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38

I don't understand how AI does not enforce their editors to actually look over material before it goes live. There are plain-text HTML links in this article and typos. I know my university teaches me to proof read...

• Reply 2 of 38

Agreed. They have the fewest mistakes out of all the blogs I read though...iPhoneinCanada is the worst for proof reading though!

• Reply 3 of 38
    I value my MacBook Air's ridiculously long battery life in Snow Leopard, and I don't want to upgrade until this issue is positively ironed out. I am hopeful that the .1 release of ML will put the issue to rest for MBA users!
  • Reply 4 of 38

I do hope that 10.8.1 does something to address the creakingly slow performance of Safari's Javascript engine.

On my connection, it takes about 30 seconds to load a single page of Appleinsider in Safari since the Mountain Lion update. If I use Firefox (which I don't really like) it loads in the blink of an eye. If I turn Javascript off on Safari, most pages then load instantly, but of course I lose functionality. It's driving me nuts.

EDIT: I would also point out that I've compared an upgrade to a fresh formatted disk install of ML on another of my Macs and the issues are the same, so it's not something old hanging around and getting in the way.

• Reply 5 of 38

Originally Posted by CogitoDexter View Post

On my connection, it takes about 30 seconds to load a single page of Appleinsider in Safari since the Mountain Lion update. If I use Firefox (which I don't really like) it loads in the blink of an eye. If I turn Javascript off on Safari, most pages then load instantly, but of course I lose functionality. It's driving me nuts.

Try reinstalling; that's not indicative of any Safari I've seen since about DP2. 

• Reply 6 of 38
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    <vc><strong>Apple's pre-release build of OS X 10.8.1 Mountain Lion has improved MacBook battery life by as much as four hours, according to one developer.</strong>

interesting. one developer. i know a developer -- another developer, but one developer, nonetheless - who says his battery life has decreased by 1.5 hours. so please give the opinion of the one developer i know the same amount of weight as you would give the opinion of the one developer in this "article" .

oh, and ffs, spend some of the money you earn from ad impressions on a proof-reader.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    I do hope that 10.8.1 does something to address the creakingly slow performance of Safari's Javascript engine.

i have an entire directory missing in 10.8.1. i hope they fix that, too.
  • Reply 8 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Try reinstalling; that's not indicative of any Safari I've seen since about DP2. 

I did mention that I've done that on a different Mac - wiped the hard drive and started again from scratch and the same issue occurs. Maybe you didn't pick up my edit in time.

Is there any way to uninstall and reinstall Safari?

• Reply 9 of 38
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hface119 View Post

I don't understand how AI does not enforce their editors to actually look over material before it goes live. There are plain-text HTML links in this article and typos. I know my university teaches me to proof read...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

oh, and ffs, spend some of the money you earn from ad impressions on a proof-reader.

Well, they would proof-read, but, frankly, they don't have enough battery life...

• Reply 10 of 38
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member

Quote:

EDIT: I would also point out that I've compared an upgrade to a fresh formatted disk install of ML on another of my Macs and the issues are the same, so it's not something old hanging around and getting in the way.

To be fair, the AI website isn't really optimised at all. It's slow and has some odd functions, whatever browser you're using. I know this isn't AI's fault as they have bills to pay.

• Reply 11 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

To be fair, the AI website isn't really optimised at all. It's slow and has some odd functions, whatever browser you're using. I know this isn't AI's fault as they have bills to pay.

I would quite understand that, except that pre-Mountain Lion I never had a smidgeon of a problem loading pages. It's fair to say that what with the Javascript problem and Safari also occasionally completely closing itself at random points in time, I'm getting a bit frustrated! Apple is better than this!

• Reply 12 of 38

Battery life is critical, I'll grant you.  

But, good God, please let them make that stupid Flagged mailbox be hidden/moved again!

• Reply 13 of 38

Quote:

Have you disabled all your extensions?   I've found that some extensions are not compatible with Safari 6.  Mine loads 'okay' with just AdBlockBeta, more like 5-10 secs for AI, but mine is a late 2008 unibody MacBook.  YMMV.

I've also found pathologic stuff corrected when I deleted the safari caches in my ~/Library   (I'm on my work XP machine now, otherwise I'd be more specific).  However this was 6.0 on Lion, not ML.  (my home automation system dictates that my mini doesn't upgrade until 10.8.1... gotta keep the lights on).

• Reply 14 of 38
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Quote:

Something else is going on.  I've upgraded both my mid-2011 MBA and late-2009 iMac to 10.8 and Safari was definitely more snappier.  Then after a week, I decided to clean-install 10.8 (simply because I could) so that there are no remnants of prior programs or plugins.  Both machines run very well, including Safari.

You might want to see if there are Safari plugins that are causing problems or other programs sucking-up CPUs.  I had a minor issue with a plugin when I upgraded.  I always like to do a clean-install of OSX whenever a new release comes out simply because I like having my system fresh-from-factory clean.  Some Adobe plug-ins really effed-up a couple things.  That's only though after I've put the release through the ringer for a week or two before I update my main system.  Fortunately, all my data is in Dropbox, or time machine so I don't worry too much about losing something.  I also try getting my apps through the Mac App Store so that I always have it on tap when it's time to re-install.

Just my 2-cents.

• Reply 15 of 38
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member

Hope they also patch defective context menu, disappearing desktop icons, involuntary log outs, beach ball of death, buggy install, and then Apple should rename it 10.8.0! :/

• Reply 16 of 38
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

I'm one of the people Apple contacted and while I was on the phone with the Apple Tech, my battery went from 98% to 75%.   Even he was surprised.  (MBP, late 2008)

I also have the problem where something is causing the machine to freeze-up and lose WiFi connectivity.   Never happened before Mountain Lion.   I used to reboot about twice a year (aside from when I shut the machine down to take it somewhere, which wasn't actually that often.)  Now I have to reboot every 2-3 days.   It was every day, but I shut down some programs, like iTunes, which seems to help the situation.

I had never installed Lion, but I do find that Safari is much faster than before.  

In the past, I had always waited for the .1 release to upgrade.  Don't know why I didn't wait this time - now I'm really sorry.

Hope they get this all fixed soon.

I have to admit I was pretty impressed when the Apple Tech called me.    Not that he was able to fix anything, but I did feel better knowing that Apple was at least taking the battery life situation seriously.  I hope they're taking the freezing complaints just as seriously.

• Reply 17 of 38

Don't remember ever reading anything in the release notes about improvements to battery life...

• Reply 18 of 38
    zoetmb wrote: »
    I'm one of the people Apple contacted and while I was on the phone with the Apple Tech, my battery went from 98% to 75%.   Even he was surprised.  (MBP, late 2008)

how long were you one the phone? what were you doing while you were on the phone?

zoetmb wrote: »
    I used to reboot about twice a year (aside from when I shut the machine down to take it somewhere, which wasn't actually that often.)  Now I have to reboot every 2-3 days.  

what does the timing of your reboots have to do with your battery life? does rebooting magically charge the battery?
  • Reply 19 of 38

On 8/16/12 - -  Apple Genius Bar says:  

“We have never heard about this issue and we don’t read the online stuff since they are only complaints.” 

Seriously?  

I was told that to go back to Lion I'd lose all my data.  Thanks for the love, Ms. Genius......

The approx. 40% cut in battery life is a failed upgrade.   OS X 10.8.1 - - can't be released soon enough.  

• Reply 20 of 38
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    On 8/16/12 - -  Apple Genius Bar says:  

“We have never heard about this issue and we don’t read the online stuff since they are only complaints.” 

Seriously?  

I was told that to go back to Lion I'd lose all my data.  Thanks for the love, Ms. Genius......

The approx. 40% cut in battery life is a failed upgrade.   OS X 10.8.1 - - can't be released soon enough.  

There's no reason why you'd lose your data to go back to Lion.