Verizon blocks employee vacations ahead of expected Sept. 21 iPhone launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Employees of U.S. carrier Verizon Wireless have reportedly had vacation days blacked out for late September, again hinting that Apple plans to launch its next-generation iPhone on Sept. 21.

Verizon employee vacation dates have been blocked from Friday, Sept. 21 to Friday, Sept. 30, according to a "trusted" employee that spoke with TechCrunch. That aligns with previous rumors that the next iPhone will become publicly available in America on Sept. 21.

The week before, on Sept. 12, Apple is widely expected to hold a media event to unveil its sixth-generation iPhone, referred to by many in the media and public as the "iPhone 5." A Tuesday unveiling followed by a formal product launch the next Friday follows the same timetable as previous Apple iPhone announcements.

Last year, Apple announced the iPhone 4S on Oct. 4, and the device became available in stores over a week later, on Friday, Oct. 14. Preorders began on Oct. 7 last year, but this year Apple is rumored to begin accepting preorders the same day the next iPhone is announced, on Sept. 12.

Anticipation of Apple's next iPhone continues to build ahead of the expected forthcoming announcement. Recently a number of component leaks have revealed what are believed to be parts from Apple's next handset.

prototype 2

The new iPhone is expected to have a slightly taller 4-inch screen, as well as a smaller 9-pin dock connector that will replace the legacy 30-pin design that has been around since long before the iPhone. Components have also shown that the headphone jack will be moved to the bottom of the device as part of a major hardware redesign.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The new iPhone is expected to have a slightly taller 4-inch screen, as well as a smaller 9-pin dock connector that will replace the legacy 30-pin design that has been around since long before the iPhone. Components have also shown that the headphone jack will be moved to the bottom of the device as part of a major hardware redesign.

I have to say, it is looking pretty sweet in that photo. I'll be ordering online as soon as it is available. I suppose I'll have to stay up until midnight on pre-order day.image

• Reply 2 of 9
    rodentrodent Posts: 49member
    Big deal! The largest company on earth should share the wealth and hire more Americans in Cupertino. I was there a few weeks ago and it didn't seem to be in the USA,
  • Reply 3 of 9
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Rodent View Post

Big deal! The largest company on earth should share the wealth and hire more Americans in Cupertino. I was there a few weeks ago and it didn't seem to be in the USA,

… Wrong thread?

• Reply 4 of 9
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

In terms of numbers, this will almost certainly be the biggest launch in consumer product history. 

• Reply 5 of 9
    luxom3luxom3 Posts: 96member

FWIW - may I offer a wet blanket?

A number of Windows 8 products are rolling out THAT same month... It might even be the new Windows Phones or Tablets too... 

• Reply 6 of 9

Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

A number of Windows 8 products are rolling out THAT same month... It might even be the new Windows Phones or Tablets too... 

Verizon would be GIVING employees vacations for that. One can only stand so much depression at once, you know.

• Reply 7 of 9
    luxom3 wrote: »
    FWIW - may I offer a wet blanket?

<div id="user_ynano_hooks_page" style="display:none;">
    <div id="user_callsToClient_page" style="display:none;"> </div>

<div id="user_eventsFromClient_page" style="display:none;"> </div>

</div>

<div style="display:none;">
    <div style="display:none;"> </div>

<div style="display:none;"> </div>

</div>
    Hahahahahahahahaha!! Some people just know how to tell a good joke! Hahahahahahahahaha!!
  • Reply 8 of 9

sounds promising, well know by Sept 1 if they send out invites or not, if something is happening. Can't wait to see IOS 6 in finished form.

• Reply 9 of 9

Originally Posted by tkrunner1738 View Post

sounds promising, well know by Sept 1 if they send out invites or not, if something is happening. Can't wait to see IOS 6 in finished form.

It'd be the 5th. That's a week in advance.