Apple could be key for big media to monetize the small screen

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    jwyatt wrote: »
    I've noticed in the last year just how much my wife and kids utilize our imac, ipad and occasionally my iphone to watch movies, tv show's etc. Our HDTV hardly ever comes on and when it does it's constant flipping through endless channels of crap. It's becoming evident to me anyway that HDTV + Cable had better watch out. I've dreamed of canceling my $100+ a month cable bill and it's beginning to look very feasible. Assuming we are a fairly typical family.

umrk_lab wrote: »
    Apple will start to enjoy the benefits of its huge installed base. The revenues driven from immaterial content will explode, pushing the profit margin even further.

An iPad can ALSO be used as a TV. This is in line with the consuming habits of the young generation.

Each member of our household of 5, 2 adults and 3 teenagers, has had their own iPad for over a year.

Much of the time they are used for streaming Netflix or from our local media server with Stream2Me.

Aside from the obvious advantages, there are a few subtle ones:
    1. you don't need to deal with a crappy remote -- the iPad does a fantastic job of locating content
    2. You don't experience any wasted time or frustration looking for the remote -- it's right in front of you

Dictated from my personal TV
  • Reply 22 of 55
    Think of the social possibilities:

You and your friends are watching the same TV show and making extemporaneous comments... But you're in different places (rooms, houses, towns)...

Prepared on my personal TV
  • Reply 23 of 55
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

You and your friends are watching the same TV show and making extemporaneous comments... But you're in different places (rooms, houses, towns)...

Mystery Social Networking 3000!

Oh gosh, I'm all for this now. Make fun of the same bad movies with people you thought you'd never hear from again… 

Now I just have to… find the people I'll never see or hear from again…

• Reply 24 of 55
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    colding01 wrote: »
    What's wrong with the Roku? I have two of them streaming to the Plex channel.

How?

Ok I saw it's a channel that can be added
  • Reply 25 of 55
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

How?

I bet Plex has the information; they're advertising the Roku box right on their home page.

• Reply 26 of 55
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member

Unfortunately I suspect the media companies are still more worried about Apple doing to them what Apple has previously done to record labels and phone companies. 

• Reply 27 of 55
    Not only that, this same group of friends is collaborating on creating their own video.... And each is using his own personal TV to capture his own contribution. These crowd-sourced videos are sent to a central site where they are edited and rendered into a video by someone on his personal TV. And that video is streamed to all the collaborators.

Executed on my Personal TV
  • Reply 28 of 55
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Unfortunately I suspect the media companies are still more worried about Apple doing to them what Apple has previously done to record labels and phone companies. 

What did Apple do to record labels and phone companies? Make them a ton of money by making it so easy to get legitimate content and pay for it than to pirate content and use cheap service - that they are now making more money than ever? or maybe they aren't - just seems that way to me - if there is now some number of billion of iOS devices in the wild and they are all consuming bandwidth and content - it stands to reason that only the foolish are losing money. 

Still I can hear the various "pipe" owners suing Apple for "monopolizing" the content.

• Reply 29 of 55

Mystery Social Networking 3000!

Oh gosh, I'm all for this now. Make fun of the same bad movies with people you thought you'd never hear from again… 

Now I just have to… find the people I'll never see or hear from again…

Aw... C'mon.. The kids were just in Canada for vacation, while the boy down the street was in Wisconsin (it's flat, dontcha' know), while other friends went to Disneyland or stayed at home... All had WiFi, and they would all be back together in a few days or weeks...

It's better than sending postcards... And could be easier, cheaper and a lot more fun...

"I'm so bored... I have nothing to do!"

Edit: I even thought of a name for the app/capability.... MovieTime™
  • Reply 30 of 55
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    orlando wrote: »

Taking a big bite out of piracy and creating a multibillion dollar revenue stream for the record labels?

Creating what appears to be the largest surge in revenues ever for the phone companies?

That sounds about right.
  • Reply 31 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Quote:

Taking a big bite out of piracy and creating a multibillion dollar revenue stream for the record labels?

Creating what appears to be the largest surge in revenues ever for the phone companies?

That sounds about right.

Yeah... think about how much money Apple could have made for Google... if, only...

Edit:  Here's an article about the movie industry vis-a-vis pirating:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=how-hollywood-encouraging-onine-piracy

• Reply 32 of 55

since we have appleTV, we almost forgot about cable. Can't wait for Apple to close agreements with content providers.

• Reply 33 of 55
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    And isn't it interesting that when I called Time Warner Cable to cut the cord and go OTA, my Internet package which was going to be $80/month by itself, suddenly dropped to $40/month when I agreed to keep the basic local network package ... And believe me, it was a hard sell on their part ...

Clearly for every subscriber the cable company loses, they take a hit on the license fee from the networks. Granted they lose out on basic cable as well, but it seems like the big money comes from the major networks, which most people can easily get OTA. So much so, they were willing to take a 50% loss on my Internet bill, and give me additional TV services. Talk about justifying your existence ...
  • Reply 34 of 55
    samiamsamiam Posts: 27member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwyatt View Post

I've noticed in the last year just how much my wife and kids utilize our imac, ipad and occasionally my iphone to watch movies, tv show's etc. Our HDTV hardly ever comes on and when it does it's constant flipping through endless channels of crap. It's becoming evident to me anyway that HDTV + Cable had better watch out. I've dreamed of canceling my $100+ a month cable bill and it's beginning to look very feasible. Assuming we are a fairly typical family.

I canceled my cable a year ago and never looked back.  There are so many other sources for content now.  I have an apple TV at home (jail broken) with netflix, rent tons of movies and dvd's and get tons from the library.  I buy series that I enjoy, and sell them or give them away when done.  It is still cheaper than cable.  I kept track for a full year and saved $460 on a cable bill for crap I didn't watch anyway.  Give it a try.  How many series do you watch on cable.  With us it was 7 shows we really wanted. 4 of them were premium cable we didn't get anyway.  Each series was $50 to buy. $350 a year to get everything we wanted. There are trade offs.  You are always about 8 months behind everyone else.  Doesn't bother me. Netflix has lots of great kids shows... but not everything... doesn't bother the 9 year old. If you are big on sports (not us), your kind of screwed without cable. I think it is pretty locked down but I could be wrong because I don't watch sports. 

By the way, I am 48. Cutting the cord is not just for the younger crowd.

• Reply 35 of 55
    samiamsamiam Posts: 27member

Quote:

They are going to be done to anyway.  Apple will still respect them in the morning.

• Reply 36 of 55
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    The cable companies can embrace new technology and new ideas and profit, or they go down kicking and screaming.

I just disconnected the TV in my bedroom and saved the extra outlet fee and box rental. Why? It occurred to me that I hadn't turned it on in months. In fact I probably only used it a few times over the last year and a half. What happened a year and a half ago? I bought my iPad 2. I regularly stream media from my iMac in my basement office as well as all sorts of great web content to my iPad. I rarely watch cable TV at all anymore. Why? I bought a 55 inch flatscreen and hooked up an Apple TV. Now I stream to my 55 inch big screen. My viewing time is probably 60% web and 40% cable and I am far happier. There is sooooo much crap on cable TV.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 37 of 55
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    umrk_lab wrote: »

An iPad can ALSO be used as a TV. This is in line with the consuming habits of the young generation.

Yep. Better quality, better pricing, global first run avail no more than a week after first OTA and get the nets to count it alongside the ratings as make good

Lessens the reasons for casual torrent use as well

Hell the studios need to get their heads out of their asses and get at least digital rental up within a week or two after movies leave the theatre to grab the folks that don't want to bother with sticky floors, talking people etc.
  • Reply 38 of 55
    colding01 wrote: »
    That's the real downside so far, is the lack of live sporting events. You could get MLB via their app, but that's just about it.

MLB, nfl etc.

Yeah you pay $100-150 a year per service but you generally get all games not just the 'in market' stuff that cable gives you.
  • Reply 39 of 55
    Yeah... think about how much money Apple could have made for Google... if, only...

Edit:  Here's an article about the movie industry vis-a-vis pirating:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=how-hollywood-encouraging-onine-piracy

As someone I said industry, add tv to that and he's on the money.

I have a friend looking to create a show that is basically in between a webseries and a tv show and he's looking to skip the machine and sell it direct to viewers via iTunes and perhaps amazon. He's looking for backers but they think he's insane.
  • Reply 40 of 55
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That sounds about right.

What Apple did was good for the consumer, it was not good for the record companies and phone companies.

Apple took away their control. Record company revenues are down because Apple ushered in a new model where you can pick and choose individual songs for low prices.

Phone companies are becoming dumb pipes. If you want music or apps you buy from iTunes. The phone company gets nothing from the deal. Apple has even taken away the ability for phone companies to differentiate based on the phones they sell. The iPhone is identical no matter which network you are on.

If Apple is successful then cable and media companies will lose much of their current control of the market and get cut out of much of the revenue.