Apple, Samsung present closing arguments in California patent trial

Comments

• Reply 61 of 139

I wont say that Samsung blatantly copied the iphone or ipad but they sure as hell based many of the features on their phones and tablets on these two devices. … but everyone else did too!!! There is no doubt that the iphone revolutionized the phone industry and that phones changed significantly after its lauch. Samsung’s and everyone else’s! I hate to say it but we seem to forget that the first iphone wasn’t much more that a really good touch screen PDA phone (the idea behind the iphone wasn’t exactly new – Apple was however smart enough to make their device simple and easy to use, contrary to Windows and their Pocket PC OS).

The thing is, do we really want to stop this from happening?? Today, you get a few good ideas from your competitors, change them a bit and build on them, tomorrow they change and build on yours. This happens every day in industry, it’s what make products evolve and get better. As a consumer I’m happy it does and as someone linked to industry I am as well. Apple does the same!! Many, many of the ideas attributed to Mac in truth were not their own! Besides the touch technology and tablet ideas which most consumers attribute to Apple, you also have their GUI which was based on a Xerox idea, mouse which was invented and being used way before Apple implemented its use, etc. etc. etc.  People accuse Google of stealing ideas from IOS but hasn’t Apple taken some of the ideas from Android as well (notification bar is just one small example). Is this a bad thing? I personally don’t think so it’s what makes the world go round and it’s what makes both my Ipad ”3” and Samsung phone great! (I don’t buy based on being a fan of a particular brand but rather based on specs, price and quality).

I think the main problem here is patent attributions to things that you shouldn’t be able to patent. Some of the patents that are awarded make no sense and are absolutely absurd, specially in what regards to non complex shapes and/or designs (for the record: the shape of the iphone is little less complex than that of a Lamborghini). Is the iphone 4 and LG Prada sufficiently different from one another? How about the Galaxy and iphone??  Are these phones the same? I personally don’t think so but it’s not a black and white, it’s too subjective and everyone has their own opinion. How can you apply a patent on something that is subjective? And if you do apply a patent on a 3x4” rectangle if I make a 3,5x4,5” rectangle wont it be different?

In a world where everyone copies, or better yet, where everyone get inspired by everyone else (and have no doubt that here both companies are at fault!), I can only find one logical reason behind this trial – get rid of, or at least strike a huge blow at your largest and possibly only real competitor.

• Reply 62 of 139
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Hill60, change your password! Fried Lobster has hijacked your account. ;)

By the way, you could be right. There's a lot of channel and the first week could be massive depending on how many markets they try to fill.

There are a lot of people sitting on iPhone 4's who have been coming out of contract since 24/6/2010 or 6/24/2010 (depending on where you are).

• Reply 63 of 139
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    gogo2000 wrote: »
    [SIZE=8pt]I wont say that Samsung blatantly copied the iphone or ipad but they sure as hell based many of the features on their phones and tablets on these two devices. … but everyone else did too!!! There is no doubt that the iphone revolutionized the phone industry and that phones changed significantly after its lauch. Samsung’s and everyone else’s! I hate to say it but we seem to forget that the first iphone wasn’t much more that a really good touch screen PDA phone (the idea behind the iphone wasn’t exactly new – Apple was however smart enough to make their device simple and easy to use, contrary to Windows and their Pocket PC OS).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]The thing is, do we really want to stop this from happening?? Today, you get a few good ideas from your competitors, change them a bit and build on them, tomorrow they change and build on yours. This happens every day in industry, it’s what make products evolve and get better. As a consumer I’m happy it does and as someone linked to industry I am as well. Apple does the same!! Many, many of the ideas attributed to Mac in truth were not their own! Besides the touch technology and tablet ideas which most consumers attribute to Apple, you also have their GUI which was based on a Xerox idea, mouse which was invented and being used way before Apple implemented its use, etc. etc. etc.  People accuse Google of stealing ideas from IOS but hasn’t Apple taken some of the ideas from Android as well (notification bar is just one small example). Is this a bad thing? I personally don’t think so it’s what makes the world go round and it’s what makes both my Ipad ”3” and Samsung phone great! (I don’t buy based on being a fan of a particular brand but rather based on specs, price and quality).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]I think the main problem here is patent attributions to things that you shouldn’t be able to patent. Some of the patents that are awarded make no sense and are absolutely absurd, specially in what regards to non complex shapes and/or designs (for the record: the shape of the iphone is little less complex than that of a Lamborghini). Is the iphone 4 and LG Prada sufficiently different from one another? How about the Galaxy and iphone??  Are these phones the same? I personally don’t think so but it’s not a black and white, it’s too subjective and everyone has their own opinion. How can you apply a patent on something that is subjective? And if you do apply a patent on a 3x4” rectangle if I make a 3,5x4,5” rectangle wont it be different?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=8pt]In a world where everyone copies, or better yet, where everyone get inspired by everyone else (and have no doubt that here both companies are at fault!), I can only find one logical reason behind this trial – get rid of, or at least strike a huge blow at your largest and possibly only real competitor.[/SIZE]

I agree.

J.
  • Reply 64 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by gogo2000 View Post

I wont say that Samsung blatantly copied the iphone or ipad but they sure as hell based many of the features on their phones and tablets on these two devices. … but everyone else did too!!! There is no doubt that the iphone revolutionized the phone industry and that phones changed significantly after its lauch. Samsung’s and everyone else’s! I hate to say it but we seem to forget that the first iphone wasn’t much more that a really good touch screen PDA phone (the idea behind the iphone wasn’t exactly new – Apple was however smart enough to make their device simple and easy to use, contrary to Windows and their Pocket PC OS).

The thing is, do we really want to stop this from happening?? Today, you get a few good ideas from your competitors, change them a bit and build on them, tomorrow they change and build on yours. This happens every day in industry, it’s what make products evolve and get better. As a consumer I’m happy it does and as someone linked to industry I am as well. Apple does the same!! Many, many of the ideas attributed to Mac in truth were not their own! Besides the touch technology and tablet ideas which most consumers attribute to Apple, you also have their GUI which was based on a Xerox idea, mouse which was invented and being used way before Apple implemented its use, etc. etc. etc.  People accuse Google of stealing ideas from IOS but hasn’t Apple taken some of the ideas from Android as well (notification bar is just one small example). Is this a bad thing? I personally don’t think so it’s what makes the world go round and it’s what makes both my Ipad ”3” and Samsung phone great! (I don’t buy based on being a fan of a particular brand but rather based on specs, price and quality).

I think the main problem here is patent attributions to things that you shouldn’t be able to patent. Some of the patents that are awarded make no sense and are absolutely absurd, specially in what regards to non complex shapes and/or designs (for the record: the shape of the iphone is little less complex than that of a Lamborghini). Is the iphone 4 and LG Prada sufficiently different from one another? How about the Galaxy and iphone??  Are these phones the same? I personally don’t think so but it’s not a black and white, it’s too subjective and everyone has their own opinion. How can you apply a patent on something that is subjective? And if you do apply a patent on a 3x4” rectangle if I make a 3,5x4,5” rectangle wont it be different?

In a world where everyone copies, or better yet, where everyone get inspired by everyone else (and have no doubt that here both companies are at fault!), I can only find one logical reason behind this trial – get rid of, or at least strike a huge blow at your largest and possibly only real competitor.

Did you buy a $10,000 mouse in the days before Apple started using them?

• Reply 65 of 139
    845032845032 Posts: 76member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Hey dude

U mad ?

Just accept fate.  Android dominating world.

Apple's magic time is over.

Many people switching Android from Apple.

I also used iOS phone + tablet exclusively  until dec 2011.

• Reply 66 of 139
    845032 wrote: »

Like I said..... LOL. (I think you can read).

Also, no doubt "shipped."
  • Reply 67 of 139

Quote:

Did you buy a $10,000 mouse in the days before Apple started using them?

Your point being? How much would you pay for an iphone if mobiles phones/PDA etc etc weren’t already being mass produced? Or even, how much would you pay for a mouse if Windows hadn't been created?? Stop looking at thing through a fan's point of view and look at them logically.

• Reply 68 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

U mad ?

Just accept fate.  Android dominating world.

Apple's magic time is over.

Many people switching Android from Apple.

I also used iOS phone + tablet exclusively  until dec 2011.

Many people is using washing machine.

I switch used to Samsung now Electrolux, used to refrigerator Samsung now Bosch many better is them.

Had Samsung dvd home theatre now Pioneer, Sony, Hitachi many, many much better than the Samsungs rubbish it is.

I have a Galaxy Nexus I give to child to play, they not like use old iPhone 3Gs, many many betters with Angrier Birds and pigs flying games, big big fun on iPhone.

Samsung make garbage die in less time than others so they sell new one faster, replace broke one.

Many fren is same thinking.

• Reply 69 of 139
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

For good or ill, I expect this third line of argument will have the most influence on the jury (emphasis added):

"No Samsung executives were willing to come here from Korea," McElhinny said. "We called some of their top people. Samsung had a chance to defend itself in this case; instead they sent you lawyers. Instead of witnesses, they brought you lawyers."

In other words, "remember that ultimately this is a case of a local company versus some foreigners who don't even respect you enough to come here."

Samsung will have an uphill battle winning the hearts of minds of these jurors.

• Reply 70 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by gogo2000 View Post

Your point being? How much would you pay for an iphone if mobiles phones/PDA etc etc weren’t already being mass produced? Or even, how much would you pay for a mouse if Windows hadn't been created?? Stop looking at thing through a fan's point of view and look at them logically.

The point being if Apple hadn't of stepped in with stock options in exchange for ideas, the technology at PARC would have stayed their, unaffordable to all but the wealthiest, unrecognised and unwanted by Xerox's head office in new york.

I remember the early HTC phones (Made under different names) costing $1200-1800 around the same as top of the line Nokia's.

When the RAZR first launched they were $1200.

• Reply 71 of 139

Quote:

I switch used to Samsung now Electrolux, used to refrigerator Samsung now Bosch many better is them.

Had Samsung dvd home theatre now Pioneer, Sony, Hitachi many, many much better than the Samsungs rubbish it is.

I have a Galaxy Nexus I give to child to play, they not like use old iPhone 3Gs, many many betters with Angrier Birds and pigs flying games, big big fun on iPhone.

Samsung make garbage die in less time than others so they sell new one faster, replace broke one.

Dude, your being just plain rude!

• Reply 72 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

"No Samsung executives were willing to come here from Korea," McElhinny said. "We called some of their top people. Samsung had a chance to defend itself in this case; instead they sent you lawyers. Instead of witnesses, they brought you lawyers."

Is any American CEO witnessed under Foreign court ?

Was Tim Cook witnessed under Chinese court ?

• Reply 73 of 139
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Quote:

Laugh out loud. Excellent work.

• Reply 74 of 139
    Android market share is around 70%.
    Many people switched to android from apple.

I couldn't care less how you want everyone to think how big your p*nis is.

I do care however, how this site has allowed you and your ilk to piss all over and practically ruin it for the rest of us.
  • Reply 75 of 139

Quote:

The point being if Apple hadn't of stepped in with stock options in exchange for ideas, the technology at PARC would have stayed their, unaffordable to all but the wealthiest, unrecognised and unwanted by Xerox's head office in new york.

I remember the early HTC phones (Made under different names) costing $1200-1800 around the same as top of the line Nokia's.

When the RAZR first launched they were $1200.

That is what I am trying to say. As a certain product gains notoriety you can be sure that competition will shows up with a similar product. Competition makes things evolve, and if you add to that mass production there is no doubt that prices will be driven down. Don’t stifle the competitive process with ridiculous legal issues. As consumers it’s bad for all of us and as some one linked to industry it’s also bad because it make you lazy!

If $1200 is too much for a RAZR then imagine 4000 for the Motorola DynaTac when it was released in the 80ies. If some idiot from a patent office decided that Motorola had the patent on mobile phones “period”, we would be buying our cell phones from Motorola at what price??

• Reply 76 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

I couldn't care less how you want everyone to think how big your p*nis is.

I do care however, how this site has allowed you and your ilk to piss all over and practically ruin it for the rest of us.

Free speech and a free society, that is what has to be the aim.

• Reply 77 of 139
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Write an uncomplimentary article about Samsung in a newspaper in South Korea and see how far that gets you...
  • Reply 78 of 139

So the rest of us is basically f*ck*d because of the misinterpretation/abuse of what free speech is.

Nice. Thanks for clarifying this. The fact the you haven't been banned yet shows that AI seem to agree with you. AI has become Macrumors it seems.

BTW, free speech does not mean the freedom to trample on someone else's perspective. I believe AI was initially created for Apple enthusiasts, not forum to be constantly attacked.

The only real reason trolling or whatever you call is tolerated is not because of free speech, but ad sponsors.

I will watch on, but I think it's time for me to look for other sites for Apple rumor/news. If I wanted drivel, I would have stayed with MR.

I don't blame you though. You are what you are.
  • Reply 79 of 139
    hill60 wrote: »

That was a little mean...but extremely funny! It's even funnier when I read it doing my best Jar Jar Binks impression!
    gogo2000 wrote: »
    Dude, your being just plain rude!
    Yeah, but it was funny! Huh?
  • Reply 80 of 139
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

When you turn on to be wrong, can you finally ban yourself so we can be rid of your fucking trolling? I've yet to see a shadow of a shred of a fact or objectivity in any of your posts. Just drive by trolling bullshit. 

Doesn't mean he might not be right…