Overly complex verdict questionnaire could confuse jury, judge says [u]

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View PostThis does look rather like Samsung's final effort to tie the entire trial in knots.

This is Apple's suggested jury ballot. Any better?

http://www.scribd.com/doc/103344112/Apple-s-Proposed-Verdict-Form

• Reply 42 of 46
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    muppetry wrote: »
    This does look rather like Samsung's final effort to tie the entire trial in knots.
    This is Apple's suggested jury ballot. Any better?
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/103344112/Apple-s-Proposed-Verdict-Form

Not much. Somewhat shorter, but still a level of detail that I would expect to confuse the jury.
  • Reply 43 of 46
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Not much. Somewhat shorter, but still a level of detail that I would expect to confuse the jury.

Completely agree. If the jury comes back with a verdict on all counts, much less a sensical one, I'll be quite surprised. I'm expecting a deadlock on at least some counts. IMO Apple threw way too many devices into this particular trial, and wanted to add even more at the last minute. If there's confusion they also have themselves to blame.

• Reply 44 of 46
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Completely agree. If the jury comes back with a verdict on all counts, much less a sensical one, I'll be quite surprised. I'm expecting a deadlock on at least some counts. IMO Apple threw way too many devices into this particular trial, and wanted to add even more at the last minute. If there's confusion they also have themselves to blame.

I expect they will reach a verdict, because at some point, at some level, the jurors will say (probably not to each other and not necessarily admit it to themselves) "screw it, it comes down to a Korean company versus a local success story, let's just give the benefit of the doubt to the Americans."  It's no coincidence that the Apple mentioned that no officers from Samsung could be "bothered" to "come to America" to testify.  In other words, "those foreigners don't even respect you good, honest American jurors enough to come talk to you."

That's not the way the system is supposed to operate, but I hope it pays off for Apple.  They deserve to win, so I really don't care what logic (or lack thereof) the jurors use to justify their decision.

• Reply 45 of 46

Originally Posted by malax View Post

My first reaction would be "WTF didn't you give us this before the testimony started so we'd have a prayer of paying attention to the right stuff?"

… Why not pay attention to all of it? It's your job, after all.

• Reply 46 of 46
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    muppetry wrote: »

So I'm still unclear what happens if they do not agree on all questions.