Image of purported next-gen iPhone USB cable shows smaller dock connector

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new image has appeared online claiming to show a USB charge and sync cable for Apple's next iPhone, complete with a smaller dock connector that matches up with previous leaked components.

Cable maker Veister.com posted the image online on Wednesday (via iLounge), showing a traditional USB plug on one side, with a new, smaller dock connector on the other. Aside from the smaller dock connector, the cable appears similar to previous white Apple sync and charge cables.

The image matches up with a number of USB component parts that leaked earlier this month showing 8 contact pins on each side. But while the previous image showed only parts from the USB cable, Wednesday's leak purports to show the entire cable.

AppleInsider was first to report last week that Apple's new mini dock connector for its next iPhone is expected to feature a 9-pin, orientation-independent design — 8 gold pins that have been seen, plus the metal shell of the connector also serving as a functional contact.. Taking cues from its patented MagSafe adapters, the new plug is expected to work in two orientations.

The new mini dock connector will also take up about 60 percent less real estate than its predecessor, the legacy 30-pin dock connector that has been a staple of Apple's handheld devices since it debuted in the third-generation iPod classic nearly 10 years ago.

Docking cable

The cable is just the latest in a series of leaks claiming to show parts from Apple's anticipated next-generation iPhone. Most notably, a series of purported iPhone parts were put together earlier this week by a repair firm which found that the components fit together "perfectly," lending support to claims of their authenticity.

In addition to the new, smaller mini dock connector, the new iPhone is widely expected to have a slightly taller display that will measure 4 inches diagonally, but will have the same screen width as previous iPhone models. The new handset is also rumored to have a redesigned exterior that will see the headphone jack moved to the bottom of the device.

Apple is rumored to be planning a media event on Sept. 12 to announce its new iPhone, commonly referred to by the media and public as the "iPhone 5." It's likely that the device will launch the following week, on Friday, Sept. 21, which is now less than a month away.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 101
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Nice. We'll be seeing a ton of these soon. Will be the second most common connector after USB.
  • Reply 2 of 101
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Nice. We'll be seeing a ton of these soon. Will be the second most common connector after USB.

That one does not appear to be Apple brand. FTC? I wonder what that stands for.
  • Reply 3 of 101
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Legit.

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That one does not appear to be Apple brand. FTC? I wonder what that stands for.

Lowballing, Federal Trade Commision? Fair Trade Commission? Failure To Cope (what some users will be about this new connector)?

Also, it has the QR code of all prototypes right there, so Apple should be able to find this guy and get him gone.

• Reply 4 of 101

Why is the metal part SO big though? It looks ridiclous, not to mention that people will try to push it in further, because we've been trained over the years that it's not in fully until you can't see the shiny anymore, and it may result in iPhone or cable damage.

• Reply 5 of 101
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member

Clearly more definitive proof of the iPad mini's existence.

• Reply 6 of 101
    philbotphilbot Posts: 240member

What are you saying? It's half the length of a USB connector which makes it about 5mm - hardly huge, and it will push in up to the white plastic.

• Reply 7 of 101

Originally Posted by marcusj0015 View Post

Why is the metal part SO big though? It looks ridiculous…

Plug looks exactly like any other plug in any other situation.

Looks ridiculous.

Okay.

…not to mention that people will try to push it in further, because we've been trained over the years that it's not in fully until you can't see the shiny anymore… 

I don't understand the problem. You plug the Dock Connector all the way in. You'll plug Dock Connector 2 all the way in. Just like every other port on your computer.

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

This is actually the wall power cable of the full-blown, 80" Apple TV. You just also need their new 500W adapter cube.

• Reply 8 of 101

If Apple doesn't include some sort of adapter (free) to interface with the plethora of 30 pin devices there will be a major public outcry. It would be a stupid/horrible omission on their part.

• Reply 9 of 101
    Why is the metal part SO big though? It looks ridiclous, not to mention that people will try to push it in further, because we've been trained over the years that it's not in fully until you can't see the shiny anymore, and it may result in iPhone or cable damage.

I think it does go all the way in to the white plastic part just like the USB end does.
  • Reply 10 of 101
    don108don108 Posts: 79member

Looks fake to me.

1. The new connector doesn't have the same clarity as the rest of the image.

2. The new connector is much longer than any of the previous leaks of the socket on the iPhone could justify. Either it would be sticking out or going way deep into the phone.It looks to be 50% to 100% longer than the current design.

3. The printing on the standard USB plug is not like anything Apple has ever placed on any other plug.

4. It doesn't match the location of where the pins will fit in the new connector

Sorry, guys. You'll just have to wait. I think you've been asymmetrically screwed!

• Reply 11 of 101
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

...or not.

• Reply 12 of 101

Originally Posted by Don108 View Post

Looks fake to me.

1. The new connector doesn't have the same clarity as the rest of the image.

2. The new connector is much longer than any of the previous leaks of the socket on the iPhone could justify. Either it would be sticking out or going way deep into the phone.It looks to be 50% to 100% longer than the current design.

3. The printing on the standard USB plug is not like anything Apple has ever placed on any other plug.

4. It doesn't match the location of where the pins will fit in the new connector

1. Does it? What about matching up the point of gloss along the connectors?

2. Which we know, given how we know the depth of that socket and have had a chance to compare them… Wait.

3. Because it's a prerelease item… 

4. What location? 

• Reply 13 of 101
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

You know, I'm sure Apple has tested this cable once or twice. Just MAYBE. I love how people here see a screenshot of something and believe they suddenly have more insight and have found more flaws than Apple, who has no doubt been meticulously asessing every single angle of this new cable for the past couple years that will power 90% of the devices they sell for the forseeable future. You think its designed the way it is for the hell of it? And no, it doesn't look ridiculous. Every damn thing looks ridiculous if you're not used to it. Everything. The curernt cable will look ridiculous in a few years. Have some foresight.
  • Reply 14 of 101
    don108 wrote: »
    [*] The new connector doesn't have the same clarity as the rest of the image.

The photo does not appear to be Photoshopped. I downloaded the original one posted on twitter and inspected every channel. No evidence of Photoshopping whatsoever. All the anti aliasing is consistent as well.
  • Reply 15 of 101

It doesn't look any "longer" or "deeper" than the current plug. 

• Reply 16 of 101

I wonder how the headphone jack moved to the bottom will affect Square's payment system which uses the headphone jack for it's credit card swipe connector to get around licensing fees to Apple. I guess you could orient the phone upside down so the headphone jack is up top but If you are charging the phone, the charging cable will be right beside it.

• Reply 17 of 101
    jccjcc Posts: 326member

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    For god sakes Tim Cook, stop all the leaks!!! There are no surprises left of the iPhone 5. If there are no surprises why even bother hosting an announcement?  Perhaps that's your ultimate motive, you don't like to present in front of thousands so you're going to use leaks to make the announcements unnecessary?

What kind of doubling down on secrecy is this? Was that a joke?

• Reply 18 of 101

Originally Posted by JCC View Post

There are no surprises left of the 6th iPhone. If there are no surprises why even bother hosting an announcement?

You're fricking kidding.

What kind of doubling down on secrecy is this? Was that a joke?

The joke is that the people saying this think they're saying something meaningful.

• Reply 19 of 101
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

This is only a minor detail, and I've said this before, but I wish that Apple would make black cables. They obviously don't have to get rid of the white, clinical looking, made for women cables, just add black cables for those people who happen to have black iOS devices. White cables look out of place and annoying when plugged into my devices, most of which are black.

I bought a black third party iPad power extension cable a few months ago and it didn't even last a week, it was poorly made. When I buy my next iPad, I would like a black cable to be in the box. I very much doubt that that would happen, but a person can wish at least.

• Reply 20 of 101
    Apple II wrote: »
    This is only a minor detail, and I've said this before, but I wish that Apple would make black cables. They obviously don't have to get rid of the white, clinical looking, made for women cables, just add black cables for those people who happen to have black iOS devices. White cables look out of place and annoying when plugged into my devices, most of which are black.

I bought a black third party iPad power extension cable a few months ago and it didn't even last a week, it was poorly made. When I buy my next iPad, I would like a black cable to be in the box. I very much doubt that that would happen, but a person can wish at least.

I think that Apple has decided that the iconic white earbuds are an important part of their branding and since they are also very particular about the package design, having white earbuds and a black USB cable would be a jarring contrast. Perhaps someone makes a high quality black cable. I don't think the iPad comes with earbuds so maybe it makes sense there to have a black USB if the product is black.