MacMall extends 48-hour flash sale on MacBook Pro with Retina BTO configurations [u]

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
MacMall on Wednesday kicked off a 48-hour "flash sale" on several custom MacBook Pro with Retina display configurations, offering immediately availability, free 2-Day FedEx shipping, and discounts of up to $160 off MSRP pricing.

Update: On Monday Aug. 27, MacMall said it's relaunching last week's flash sale pricing due to strong customer response.

The sale, which runs through Thursday, Aug 30th 11:59pm Pacific time, extends to AppleInsider readers the lowest prices anywhere on Apple's latest professional notebooks when exclusive 3% coupon codes are combined with the reseller's already reduced pricing.

MacMall, which has served as a long-time sponsor of AppleInsider, notes that supplies of these Retina MacBook Pros are limited, and several configurations are expected to sell out during the course of the sale.

Among the custom BTO configurations currently discounted and in-stock for the promotion are:
  • 2.3GHz 15-inch MacBook Pro Retina (16GB, 256GB) for $2,297.92 ($101.08 savings)
  • 2.6GHz 15-inch MacBook Pro Retina (16GB, 512GB) for $2,870.22 ($128.78 savings)
  • 2.7GHz 15-inch MacBook Pro Retina (16GB, 512GB) for $3,103.02 ($145.98 savings)
  • 2.6GHz 15-inch MacBook Pro Retina (16GB, 512GB) for $3,345.52 ($153.48 savings)
  • 2.7GHz 15-inch MacBook Pro Retina (16GB, 768GB) for $3,588.02 ($160.98 savings)
To participate in the offer, customers simply need to to use the links in this article or the Mac Price Guide to select their Mac or Macs of choice, then apply AppleInsider coupon code APPINSDRMWB34462 on the resulting MacMall product page for those selected Macs.

In addition to this week's price cuts on MacBook Pros with Retina display, MacMall also continues to extend AI readers the lowest prices anywhere on the remainder of Apple's notebook offerings using the same coupon code and selection process. The additional 3% savings will show up as "Promo Discount(s)" once the coupon code has been applied.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member

I would have been more then happy to buy from MacMall... But MacMall now blocks my IPs for whatever known reason. I get 403s all the way (Access forbidden). I cannot even unsubscribe from their mailers now. So... my money went directly to Apple... for my 2.6/16gb MBP/r as of two days ago,

All I have to say is shame on MacMall. Good way to treat your customers.

-Michael

• Reply 2 of 38

That's really odd. If you're happy to buy from them you might just borrow someone else's computer for a few minutes. Or try at home. Or use a smartphone or even call on the phone. Of course, if you've bought from Apple already then MacMall's offer is too late for you but good for Apple (and you, you lucky dog).

Wish I could afford. Even with this additional discoun,t which works out to about 4%, it'll continue to be just an aspiration for me. On the other hand, I hope MacMall decides to have a flash sale on the new iMacs when those come out. (Oh, when? when?!)

• Reply 3 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by iPilya View Post

I would have been more then happy to buy from MacMall... But MacMall now blocks my IPs for whatever known reason. I get 403s all the way (Access forbidden). I cannot even unsubscribe from their mailers now. So... my money went directly to Apple... for my 2.6/16gb MBP/r as of two days ago,

All I have to say is shame on MacMall. Good way to treat your customers.

-Michael

You can also get better saving through education discount and i assume there is an enterprise discount?

But I ordered mine with the same configuration (2.6ghz/16gb).

I wonder if they will get it shipped out earlier than the 5 days. Or at least I hope it is ready on friday. I've read some people are having trouble with the LCD screen. So I hope I get a good screen (kinda hope it is a samsung screen, they don't have the burn-in problems, but I assume its a small amount of people). But the sooner i get it, the sooner i can make sure it working correctly and then install windows and get ready for classes

• Reply 4 of 38
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    MacMall, which has served as a long-time sponsor of <em>AppleInsider</em>, notes that supplies of these Retina MacBook Pros are limited, and several configurations are expected to sell out during the course of the sale.
    Among the custom BTO configurations currently discounted and in-stock for the promotion are:
    <ul><li>2.3GHz 15-inch MacBook Pro Retina (16GB, 256GB) for <a href="http://www.tkqlhce.com/click-1989299-10273684?url=http://www.macmall.com/p.pdp?source=APPINSDRMWB34462&dpno=9232498">$2,297.92</a> ($101.08 savings)
    <li>2.6GHz 15-inch MacBook Pro Retina (16GB, 512GB) for <a href="http://www.tkqlhce.com/click-1989299-10273684?url=http://www.macmall.com/p.pdp?source=APPINSDRMWB34462&dpno=9232504">$2,870.22</a> ($128.78 savings)
    <li>2.7GHz 15-inch MacBook Pro Retina (16GB, 512GB) for <a href="http://www.tkqlhce.com/click-1989299-10273684?url=http://www.macmall.com/p.pdp?source=APPINSDRMWB34462&dpno=9232517">$3,103.02</a> ($145.98 savings)
    <li>2.6GHz 15-inch MacBook Pro Retina (16GB, 512GB) for <a href="http://www.tkqlhce.com/click-1989299-10273684?url=http://www.macmall.com/p.pdp?source=APPINSDRMWB34462&dpno=9232508">$3,345.52</a> ($153.48 savings)
    <li>2.7GHz 15-inch MacBook Pro Retina (16GB, 768GB) for <a href="http://www.tkqlhce.com/click-1989299-10273684?url=http://www.macmall.com/p.pdp?source=APPINSDRMWB34462&dpno=9232520">$3,588.02</a> ($160.98 savings)</ul>

I believe the next to the last one has the wrong specs. It should be 768 GB.
  • Reply 5 of 38

Does MacMall have a student discount similar to Apple's on top of this deal?

• Reply 6 of 38
    ewanewan Posts: 36member

You have to spend $3600 to get a $160 saving? You can just go to the Apple Educational Store and get $200 off for a Macbook Pro with Retina display. Starting at $1,999. 

http://store.apple.com/us-hed/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro/select

• Reply 7 of 38
    ewan wrote: »
    You have to spend $3600 to get a $160 saving? You can just go to the Apple Educational Store and get $200 off for a Macbook Pro with Retina display. Starting at $1,999. 

http://store.apple.com/us-hed/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro/select

Oh, I don't know. Maybe it's for the 95% of computer purchasers who are not students or educators?
  • Reply 8 of 38

Originally Posted by Ewan View Post

You can just go to the Apple Educational Store and get $200 off for a Macbook Pro with Retina display. Starting at $1,999. 

Except no, not unless you're an educator/higher-ed student.

• Reply 9 of 38
    you do know theres nothing that asks you guys to prove you're students or educators right? just type in a school name select it and enjoy shopping at ridiculous discounts xD
  • Reply 10 of 38
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by asma89 View Post

you do know theres nothing that asks you guys to prove you're students or educators right? just type in a school name select it and enjoy shopping at ridiculous discounts xD

You do know that's fraud, right? And completely illegal.

And also incorrect; random audits allow them to remove all discounts before the order is placed. They'll even call you and tell you your order was placed at the right price.

• Reply 11 of 38
    asma89 wrote: »

Other than, of course, the fact that you state that you are entitled to the discount when ordering.

Some of us don't believe in lying to save a few bucks.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Other than, of course, the fact that you state that you are entitled to the discount when ordering.

Some of us don't believe in lying to save a few bucks.

There are also plenty of other ways to save a few dollars on these machines. Amazon had a pre-order sale initially. Refurbished units will eventually be out. Some of their refurbished discounts are excellent, but I think an over supply of the prior generation, potentially due to their current return policy has left them with a lot of stock from the older generations. It used to be the kind of thing you would have to check frequently to find a really good deal. Now they consistently have 15" 2011 macbook pros listed in the $1200-1300 range. It's quite a difference, and these are still very viable machines.

• Reply 13 of 38

As well, for California residents at least, Amazon does not collect state sales tax

until September 15, which can save up to 9.75%.   MacMall collects CA tax.

• Reply 14 of 38
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

That's really odd. If you're happy to buy from them you might just borrow someone else's computer for a few minutes. Or try at home. Or use a smartphone or even call on the phone. Of course, if you've bought from Apple already then MacMall's offer is too late for you but good for Apple (and you, you lucky dog).

I have tried my iPhone, iPad, My home Mac, as well as a Mac at our local Apple IMC. which.... tells you that I am currently outside of the states (though would have used my CC / Address in the states). I believe that recently they started to block IPs outside of the US (wonder if Canadians have issue?). I guess I could have paid a little $$$ to a VPN provider.. but I wouldnt be so stupid to transmit CC information over one.

Yes, I am fully legit in using the Education discount for this purchase and I did. From my understanding of the article, the MacMall has these on hand so there is no wait for BTO? That would have been nice.

• Reply 15 of 38
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member

I ordered my Macbook retina from apple on saturday and the more i read into the "burn-in" issue. The more I am beginning to regret switching from windows to mac. If I get anything less than prefect, I may ask for a replacement and if that doesn't work. Screw Apple, its been 3 months and they should have been able to fix the LG display issue. I will stay with windows and may never attempt to switch again. Cause it appears to be more than a common issue. Its quiet common, but most people just don't look for it. 

If anyone has a rMBP with an LG display and it doesn't burn it, well then, please give me some good news. 

For 2500 (with education discount), it better be spotless. 

Seeing as I will soon be buying my 3rd iPhone and that i have caused 25+ iphone sales for apple through my friends and family. Apple should not want to disappoint. I may only be one customer, but if Apple keeps making silly mistakes, itll add up

• Reply 16 of 38
    hexorhexor Posts: 57member

Has anyone gotten notification of their Macbook Pro Retina shipping from MacMall with this promo? 

• Reply 17 of 38
    seankill wrote: »
    I ordered my Macbook retina from apple on saturday and the more i read into the "burn-in" issue. The more I am beginning to regret switching from windows to mac. If I get anything less than prefect, I may ask for a replacement and if that doesn't work. Screw Apple, its been 3 months and they should have been able to fix the LG display issue. I will stay with windows and may never attempt to switch again. Cause it appears to be more than a common issue. Its quiet common, but most people just don't look for it. 

If anyone has a rMBP with an LG display and it doesn't burn it, well then, please give me some good news. 

For 2500 (with education discount), it better be spotless. 

Seeing as I will soon be buying my 3rd iPhone and that i have caused 25+ iphone sales for apple through my friends and family. Apple should not want to disappoint. I may only be one customer, but if Apple keeps making silly mistakes, itll add up

Seems like a silly reason to choose a computer platform. There are plenty of alternatives:

1. Ask to open the computer when you buy it and test it. If it has image retention, ask for another.

2. This site tells you how to identify the source of the display:
    http://tengize.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/macbook-pro-with-retina-display-owners-suffer-from-burn-in-markings/
    Ask to do so at time of purchase.

3. Apple Stores have a money-back return policy. Buy the computer and take it home and if it has a problem, return it.

4. Buy the computer and take it home and if it has a problem, return it for warranty repair.

BTW, 'burn in' is not accurate. That phrase is used to describe permanent changes to the screen. That doesn't occur here - what a small number of people are complaining about is a temporary screen memory issue.
  • Reply 18 of 38

Quote:

Seems like a silly reason to choose a computer platform. There are plenty of alternatives:

1. Ask to open the computer when you buy it and test it. If it has image retention, ask for another.

2. This site tells you how to identify the source of the display:

http://tengize.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/macbook-pro-with-retina-display-owners-suffer-from-burn-in-markings/

Ask to do so at time of purchase.

3. Apple Stores have a money-back return policy. Buy the computer and take it home and if it has a problem, return it.

4. Buy the computer and take it home and if it has a problem, return it for warranty repair.

BTW, 'burn in' is not accurate. That phrase is used to describe permanent changes to the screen. That doesn't occur here - what a small number of people are complaining about is a temporary screen memory issue.

I pray it is a small amount of people. On the apple forums I see quiet a few. So i pray you are right.

Getting a quality product is a good reason to chose a product. Though the reason the dell didn't come close is people appear to be having trouble with the Wifi.

But for 2500, DAMN, it better work and work well.

I custom ordered it, for school. So it'll take about another week to get it. Then i have to test it (which i knew how). Then if it doesn't work I have to start school without a proper computer cause god knows how long a replacement will take. But we will see.

I really hope the display works properly (kinda just hoping for a samsung screen so i dont need to worry about it) Because I REALLY like the laptop. Its an awesome design. Oddly, the retina display was like 5th on my list of why i bought it.

The term burn in is good enough   thats why it is in quotes

• Reply 19 of 38
    I pray it is a small amount of people. On the apple forums I see quiet a few. So i pray you are right.

1,000 posts on a support forum means:

5 people who actually had the problem, but they posted 50 times each (their original post plus 49 responses to everyone who says "it doesn't happen to me")
    25 Apple-hating trolls who never owned the product but post 10 times each under different names saying that they have the problem
    300 people who say "it doesn't happen to me"
    200 people who seem to have nothing to do but post lame "Apple sucks" messages on every forum they can find

The term burn in is good enough   thats why it is in quotes

Language is a very powerful tool. Learn to use it properly. Using terms that don't apply (even with quotes) does not contribute to understanding or solution of problems.
  • Reply 20 of 38

Quote:

1,000 posts on a support forum means:

5 people who actually had the problem, but they posted 50 times each (their original post plus 49 responses to everyone who says "it doesn't happen to me")

25 Apple-hating trolls who never owned the product but post 10 times each under different names saying that they have the problem

300 people who say "it doesn't happen to me"

200 people who seem to have nothing to do but post lame "Apple sucks" messages on every forum they can find

Language is a very powerful tool. Learn to use it properly. Using terms that don't apply (even with quotes) does not contribute to understanding or solution of problems.

You can defend apple as you will, but clearly there is an issue that is above normal levels. I will surely reply my experience here once I get my retina. 

I'm sure there is some exaggeration in the truth, as i thought happened with the iPhone 4, but the iPhone is 200 not 2500 (at least through a carrier)

The language is just fine, if the laptop screen is retaining an image within just 20 minutes, i'm sure it'll get to the point where it is permanent(or at least seem like it). CRTs aren't even that crappy.

We shall see.