Apple invites developers to begin testing OS X 10.8.2

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Even before OS X 10.8.1 is publicly released, Apple has begun inviting developers to test the following version of OS X Mountain Lion, identified as 10.8.2.

Select developers were notified via e-mail on Wednesday that they were invited to participate in the "next Mountain Lion Software Update seed project, 10.8.2," according to people familiar with the note. Developers who accept the invitation from AppleSeed will be among the first to test the update to Mountain Lion.

The first pre-release beta of OS X 10.8.1 was supplied to Apple's developer community earlier this month. This week, one developer claimed that the beta software appears to address issues with battery life on some MacBooks that were introduced with the launch of Mountain Lion.

However, thus far there have only been two pre-release beta of OS X 10.8.1 issued to developers, suggesting the software is not quite ready for public release. However, since 10.8.1 will be the first update to the newly released Mountain Lion operating system, it's likely that Apple is working quickly to provide bug fixes to the general public.

Mountain Lion

Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion made its debut on the Mac App Store on July 25th. It saw a record 3 million downloads in just 4 days, immediately making it Apple's most successful release for the Mac ever.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member

From personal experience updating an iMac and MBA, I'd venture to say 10.8 will require 2 or 3 patches to rid itself of all the bugs in Mountain Lion... Was never ready for Primetime!  

• Reply 2 of 41

I updated my 2008 iMac (clean install) and upgraded my new retina MBP to Mountain Lion. No bugs to report for either computer. Everything works great.

• Reply 3 of 41
    I may be wrong, but I thought that there never was a public release of OSX Lion 10.7.1. Didn't Apple just go from 10.7.0 to 10.7.2 with the initial iCloud integration? Perhaps there pursuing a similar route here?

This may also mean that the 10.8.1 is almost ready for public release, look out for it this week.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by ombra2105 View Post

I may be wrong, but I thought that there never was a public release of OSX Lion 10.7.1. Didn't Apple just go from 10.7.0 to 10.7.2 with the initial iCloud integration?

No, that's wrong. This just tells us that 10.8.1 is imminent.

• Reply 5 of 41

I've had my fan running loud since the update .  I then did a clean install with the same result.  Doesn't seem that the system is much hotter.  Hopefully this gets dealt with.  Yes I did reset PRAM and SMC.

James

• Reply 6 of 41
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    mj web wrote: »
    From personal experience updating an iMac and MBA, I'd venture to say 10.8 will require 2 or 3 patches to rid itself of all the bugs in Mountain Lion... Was never ready for Primetime!  

10.8 is more 'ready for primetime' than any 1st release of any OS I've ever installed in my life. I haven't had a single issue, bug, compatibility problem, etc. and I did an upgrade, not a clean install. No other OSX release has been as polished or as stable at a .0 release.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Huh?  I've had fewer problems with Mountain Lion than with any Macintosh OS, going all the way back to the early 90s when I first started using Macs.  I should add that I did an upgrade too, not a clean install.  My only complaint is that it took forever for spotlight to finish indexing.

• Reply 8 of 41

There are some bugs in 10.8 that will be quashed in the next few releases. But to my knowledge so far nothing spectacular.

• Reply 9 of 41

Quote:

Like what? I've had no issues so far (been using it for about a week).

What am I missing?

• Reply 10 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

10.8 is more 'ready for primetime' than any 1st release of any OS I've ever installed in my life. I haven't had a single issue, bug, compatibility problem, etc. and I did an upgrade, not a clean install. No other OSX release has been as polished or as stable at a .0 release.

I concur.  I've been with OSX since 10.2 and 10.8.0 is more solid than any previous .0 release.  I have told folks that it looks like 10.8 is the performance and quality release of 10.7.  Not to dis 10.7, but I think 10.8 is a real winner.  

I have it running on a new 2012 MBA and a 2007 MBPro with no issues whatsoever.

• Reply 11 of 41
    I have had few issues with my iMac and ML, but only annoying things. Conversely, ML has completely screwed up my MacBook Pro, with cut,paste, drag & drop as well sleep issues. Not funny. Thought it was just me until I looked at the ML support groups. ML or third party apps have some serious issues to resolve with respect to MacBook Pros.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    Why is there no way to print a list of reminders?

Otherwise: thumbs up!
  • Reply 13 of 41
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    slurpy wrote: »

Agreed.

In fact, even though I've beta tested every version of Mac OS since 7.something, I am declining this time. There's just too little that needs to be fixed to make it worth the bother.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    ombra2105 wrote: »
    I may be wrong, but I thought that there never was a public release of OSX Lion 10.7.1.
    Sure there was. Look here. OS X 10.7.1 was released August 16, 2011.

OS X 10.7.2 was released on October 12, 2011.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Baloney! Mountain Lion is one of the best updates for my MBP that has happened since 2008 when I first got that MBP!!

Sure there are bugs but show me a software update anywhere that doesn't have bugs. Overall you get valued features, faster performance including leveraged GPU usage and better iCloud integration. It is an excellent update if you don't dwell on the regressions.
    mj web wrote: »
  • Reply 16 of 41

Quote:

Haven't run into any problems with Mt. Lion.  Been using it for a few weeks now, Lion is a whole other story. 

• Reply 17 of 41
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    slurpy wrote: »

I have to agree itis an excellent 1st release. However it does have a few bugs or strange behavior. Those are minor considering what has been corrected or improved. My old MBP runs much better with Mountain Lion, that on a machine that needs serious upgrades to RAM and disk drive.

I'm not going to deny that some may have had issues with the upgrade but this is yet another in a series of upgrades to my MBP since 2008, no clean installs ever. On the other hand I don't crap up my system with a bunch of tweaks extensions and add ons. It is hard to say what the root causes are with these complaints but I suspect unreasonable expectations come into play.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

However it does have a few bugs or strange behavior.

Speaking of which, does anyone have the problem with Messages where the bar that contains your conversations resets its size every time the application restarts? And moreover, the problem where it absolutely will not log into any services when it reopens when you log back in to your desktop's account?

To the first problem, the size here of the conversations (left) and actual conversation string (right) bars is switched (I won't remember to ever actually get a screenshot of the issue itself…). Upon user resizing, the conversation bar cannot be widened again to its original (too wide) width. It's weird.

• Reply 19 of 41
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Same here on my 2010 MBP 15.  In fact Mountain Lion fixed a number of fairly serious issues that included random freezes caused by Safari and or Firefox.  Haven't had any since upgrade install of ML.

• Reply 20 of 41

So, if 10.8.1 is due out 'any day now' and 10.8.2 is a fast follower, I see other reasons as well.

1) new iOS hardware (cable?) requiring tweaked USB drivers or system stuff?

2) new Mac Hardware ('one more thing... Retina 11" MacBook Air... just in time for Xmas?)

just pondering the possibilities.