Apple invites developers to begin testing OS X 10.8.2

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    So, if 10.8.1 is due out 'any day now' and 10.8.2 is a fast follower, I see other reasons as well.
    1) new iOS hardware (cable?) requiring tweaked USB drivers or system stuff?
    2) new Mac Hardware ('one more thing... Retina 11" MacBook Air... just in time for Xmas?)

just pondering the possibilities. 

No, you simply need to pay attention to Apple's normal release schedule.

10.x.1 releases almost always come out within a few weeks or so of a 10.x.0 launch. This update is to fix any urgent bugs that appear right after release and any bugs that were identified too late in the development cycle to be included in 10.x.0.

10.x.2 development starts long before 10.x.0 release, but goes into beta around the time that 10.x.1 comes out. Finishing 10.x.2 can take months and is not necessarily tied to any particular hardware.

There's nothing new about this release schedule or anything that would suggest that new hardware is imminent.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Like what? I've had no issues so far (been using it for about a week).

What am I missing?

Like not having all your desktop icons disappear after right clicking on a .jpg and selecting "Open With"...

• Reply 23 of 41
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

10.8 is more 'ready for primetime' than any 1st release of any OS I've ever installed in my life. I haven't had a single issue, bug, compatibility problem, etc. and I did an upgrade, not a clean install. No other OSX release has been as polished or as stable at a .0 release.

In the pro audio world it has major issues in certain situations, resulting in corrupt files.  Checking the Metric Halo list gives plenty of info and MH has told users that there are issues they need Apple to deal with (or at least come forward and work with vendors) to solve and are advising rolling back.  Seems to be related to unreliability with Aggregate Device use.  Other vendors boards are having similar posts.  The Apple Support Community has previously noted problems with random clock switching using A.D. and other quirks, some of which are deal killers.  IIRC, Avid hasn't blessed it yet for anything.

Hopefully this will be addressed soon, because OSX Aggregate Devices, which aren't used by everyone, are a huge part of many users' setup and have been for years.

• Reply 24 of 41
    woodlinkwoodlink Posts: 198member

Safari still blows regardless of whatever 'big cat' it runs on.

• Reply 25 of 41
    zebrazebra Posts: 35member

Had a few problems with CardDav and CalDav caused by multiple local hosts that could only be corrected with Terminal commands. But it now works and connects with the onboard server as designed. This happened after a fresh install of Mountain Lion. The problem did not exist in 10.7. 

• Reply 26 of 41
    vaelianvaelian Posts: 446member
    Mountain Lion issues for me:
    1 - Safari's rendering is buggy as hell -- I can fix it by quitting (Command+Q) and restarting it, but after a while the rendering problems return (this only happens in Safari, and started to happen immediately after the upgrade);
    2 - Reminders crashes all the time with street addresses that have non-ASCII characters in them, every time I try to edit a reminder with such a street address it crashes consistently, making it impossible for me to edit some reminders without resorting my iPhone.

However, Mountain Lion also fixed an issue that I was having with FaceTime on Lion where I could make and accept calls but they would never connect (my iPhone and iPad had no issues with the same calls on the same network, they could even connect to each other, but not to OS X).
  • Reply 27 of 41
    From yesterday's post regarding 10.8.1:

On 8/16/12 - -  Apple Genius Bar says:     “We have never heard about this issue and we don’t read the online stuff since they are only complaints.”   

Seriously?

The 40% cut in battery life is a nonstarter.
  • Reply 28 of 41

Why do these articles always only say "developers"?  Apple also seeds to select consumers by invitation.

• Reply 29 of 41
    thebum wrote: »
    Why do these articles always only say "developers"?  Apple also seeds to select consumers by invitation.

They do.
  • Reply 30 of 41

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

They do.

You made the same mistake I almost made.

I'm sure the articles say 'developers' for simplicity's sake. For over a decade, developers were the only ones to get prerelease software, and the general public knew and recognized that. Changing it to read "developers and specific users" would be a poor choice for many reasons, not the least of which being AppleSeed being assaulted by further people that don't have a clue what they're actually getting into.

• Reply 31 of 41

I am quite happy with ML upgrade, it has finally solved Wi-Fi issue on my 2010 iMac after Lion upgrade. And the system seems quicker in opening and closing of applications.

But I am having frequent crash with Safari and certain famous websites I visit most, for which I already sent a communication to Apple.

Unfortunately, that make me switch to FF or Chrome.

I didn't yet notice the battery life issue, because most of the time I am running with external power.

Off Topic

I wished they had removed the look and feel of address book and calendar.

And I am also missing the iWork.com sharing feature, it was very nice for sharing tech draft with client.

• Reply 32 of 41

I'm sure the articles say 'developers' for simplicity's sake. For over a decade, developers were the only ones to get prerelease software, and the general public knew and recognized that. Changing it to read "developers and specific users" would be a poor choice for many reasons, not the least of which being AppleSeed being assaulted by further people that don't have a clue what they're actually getting into.

That is not true. I've been beta testing Apple software for almost 2 decades - and I'm not a developer.

In the 80s and 90s, Apple had the CQF program (customer quality feedback) where average users were given the opportunity to test versions of Mac OS. In one rare case, I even got the chance to test hardware (a PowerMac 8500, IIRC). At some point, they dropped CQF and invited many of the same users to test under Appleseed. So for at least 2 decades, nondevelopers have been testing Mac OS releases (and other software, as well).

The reason the article says 'developers' has nothing to do with strategy or what would be good for Appleseed or anything else. AI doesn't care about that. AI only wants eyeballs. The reasons the articles say 'developers' is either because AI is too lazy to get it right or doesn't have correct information. If they knew that it was select users as well as developers, there's no reason why they wouldn't include it.
  • Reply 33 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

From personal experience updating an iMac and MBA, I'd venture to say 10.8 will require 2 or 3 patches to rid itself of all the bugs in Mountain Lion... Was never ready for Primetime!  

I have an iMac and was testing on a MBA. In the end, I didn't see any bugs. What sorts of bugs are you experiencing?

I'm not seeing any bugs on my iMac or Retina MacBook Pro.

• Reply 34 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banyan Bruce View Post

I have had few issues with my iMac and ML, but only annoying things. Conversely, ML has completely screwed up my MacBook Pro, with cut,paste, drag & drop as well sleep issues. Not funny. Thought it was just me until I looked at the ML support groups. ML or third party apps have some serious issues to resolve with respect to MacBook Pros.

I'm running ML on a Retina MBP, a 2008 MBP 15" and a 2010 MBP 15" and an iMac - I haven't seen any of these issues of which you speak. It works flawlessly on all of them.

• Reply 35 of 41
    I call BS. This is fake.
  • Reply 36 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I think AppleSeed gets to people who know what they are doing. I haven't gotten into it but the people who I have seen who have are either big time developers, or writers, etc.

I think they should make an iSeed where they give out prerelease iOS software. YES!

• Reply 37 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That is not true. I've been beta testing Apple software for almost 2 decades - and I'm not a developer.

In the 80s and 90s, Apple had the CQF program (customer quality feedback) where average users were given the opportunity to test versions of Mac OS. In one rare case, I even got the chance to test hardware (a PowerMac 8500, IIRC). At some point, they dropped CQF and invited many of the same users to test under Appleseed. So for at least 2 decades, nondevelopers have been testing Mac OS releases (and other software, as well).

The reason the article says 'developers' has nothing to do with strategy or what would be good for Appleseed or anything else. AI doesn't care about that. AI only wants eyeballs. The reasons the articles say 'developers' is either because AI is too lazy to get it right or doesn't have correct information. If they knew that it was select users as well as developers, there's no reason why they wouldn't include it.

So you're in AppleSeed?

• Reply 38 of 41
    So you're in AppleSeed?

I could tell you, but then I'd have to shoot you.
  • Reply 39 of 41

What's fake?

• Reply 40 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Speaking of which, does anyone have the problem with Messages where the bar that contains your conversations resets its size every time the application restarts? And moreover, the problem where it absolutely will not log into any services when it reopens when you log back in to your desktop's account?

To the first problem, the size here of the conversations (left) and actual conversation string (right) bars is switched (I won't remember to ever actually get a screenshot of the issue itself…). Upon user resizing, the conversation bar cannot be widened again to its original (too wide) width. It's weird.

In setting up a new MacBook Air 13 yesterday, which was updated to Mountain Lion 8.0 at the store by Apple Genius, the only bugginess I notice so far is, one, well two things --

1) perhaps related to TallestSkil s issue, some window columns cannot be drag-resized. I am trying to remember which windows this happened in, I think it was in Updates and some Spotlight and Search results.  I thought it weird, because I could drag only the farthest right column width, but no other ones.

2) WiFi connection (which is the primary native networking in Airs) sometimes take a long time to both search for networks and also to confirm connection to already established & connected primary Access Point.  Was so slow at one point (either after wake or after reboot) that I started through the diagnostics and resetting before it connected on its own.

(On the other hand, the reboot time of the MacBook Air is phenomenally fast! But that is a machine benefit, not related to OS version)