LG exec says mass production of in-cell displays has started ahead of rumored iPhone launch

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2015
The CEO of panel maker LG on Wednesday said the company has started mass production of thin and light in-cell displays, a technology many expect will be employed in the next-generation iPhone.

"We just began mass production and we don't expect any disruption in supplies," said chief executive of LG Display Han Sang-beom. His comments were under embargo until early Thursday, Korean time, reports Reuters.

While details are scarce, the CEO's comments are in line with rumors saying Apple will debut the next-generation handset at a special event on Sept. 12, a date only three weeks away. Follow-up reports claim the company will be taking pre-orders on launch day which will be fulfilled in the U.S. on Sept. 21.

Analysts have speculated that Apple will be using new in-cell LCD technology in an effort to slim down the rumored device by up to 0.4mm. Among the suppliers capable of mass producing in-cell units is Sharp, LG and Japan Display, Inc., a new company formed in 2012 from the display arms of Toshiba, Sony and Hitachi. A previous report notes Sony and Hitachi began shipping 4-inch LCD panels to Apple in November 2011 to be used in an unknown iOS device scheduled for release this year.

Wednesday's announcement comes just days after photos of a purported next-gen iPhone display assembly surfaced. The unit was unpowered and not much information could be gleaned from the "leaked" part.

Display Assembly
Photos claiming to be of the next-gen iPhone's display assembly. | Source: UBreakiFix.com

AppleInsider discovered Apple itself recently won a U.S. patent for in-cell touchscreen technology. Embodiments of the invention range from basic in-cell display adaptations, which remove a layer of substrate (glass) by integrating the display's touch sensing and LCD elements, to completely new ideas regarding the manufacture of such screens.

In-cell technology is thought to be a good fit for the sixth-generation iPhone as a thinner display would offset the weight gain associated with an increase in screen size. Because the multitouch display is the iPhone's only method of input, it dictates the handset's design, thus an enlarged screen would mean an overall increase in dimensions. It is not known if Apple will employ the recently-patented inventions or rely on those from third-party display manufacturers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47

So are the current rumors that it will be unveiled on Sep. 21 and released on Oct. 4th.?

• Reply 2 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

So are the current rumors that it will be unveiled on Sep. 21 and released on Oct. 4th.?

So does the announcement happen on the 12th or the 21st????

• Reply 3 of 47
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

Announced on the 12th and released on the 21st. Products are released on Fridays and announced on Wednesdays.

• Reply 4 of 47
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

It's good to see LG putting the money they get for these things to good use.

• Reply 5 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Announced on the 12th and released on the 21st. Products are released on Fridays and  announced on Wednesdays.

Oh. So a small change since last year.

• Reply 6 of 47
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Announced on the 12th and released on the 21st. Products are released on Fridays and  announced on Wednesdays.

Kinda hard to believe they'll have millions ready to go a month from now.
  • Reply 7 of 47
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Kinda hard to believe they'll have millions ready to go a month from now.

Just US launch, I imagine. Not China or anything.

• Reply 8 of 47
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Just US launch, I imagine. Not China or anything.

We should get them first, again.

Thanks to the International date line.

While you are sleeping in Australia we will have them.

• Reply 9 of 47
    Oh. So a small change since last year.

Also a change from 2010 when I picked up my iPhone 4 on its June 24 launch day, a Thursday.

And from the iPhone 4S announcement on October 4, 2011, a Tuesday.

I also clearly remember my wife giddily awaiting the delivery of her per-ordered original iPad on its launch day - Saturday, April 3, 2010.
  • Reply 10 of 47
    Have you seen the Jack-in-the-Box commercials that parody Siri?
    Classic. Too bad it's so true though.
    Very happy with my Samsung G2, which has a larger screen than even the new iPhone. Plus, a much more customizable UI.
  • Reply 11 of 47
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Although the iPhone revolutionized the mobile phone and PDA all in one concept I am worried that this revision of iPhone may not be a big seller as Previous versions.  I think the Slamslung phone and the AT&T attitude (anti Apple Data hog) may hurt the iPhone and its newer versions in the long run.

• Reply 12 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizSandford View Post

Classic. Too bad it's so true though.

Very happy with my Samsung G2, which has a larger screen than even the new iPhone. Plus, a much more customizable UI.

Wow. Just looked over your posts. No agenda there. :D

• Reply 13 of 47
    845032845032 Posts: 76member

Another year, Another iphone.

• Reply 14 of 47
    Wow. Just looked over your posts. No agenda there. :D

She likes a good parody, large screens and customization. What's the issue?
  • Reply 15 of 47
    Also a change from 2010 when I picked up my iPhone 4 on its June 24 launch day, a Thursday.
    And from the iPhone 4S announcement on October 4, 2011, a Tuesday.
    I also clearly remember my wife giddily awaiting the delivery of her per-ordered original iPad on its launch day - Saturday, April 3, 2010.

I am just guessing here, but they likely want to avoid an announcement on Tuesday, September 11...

Just a thought.
  • Reply 16 of 47
    evokenevoken Posts: 56member

Quote:

What are those? Do you have a YouTube link?

• Reply 17 of 47

Hopefully they don't have burn in issues like the LG panels are said to have for the rMBP        im hoping for a samsung screen believe it or not

• Reply 18 of 47
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

Brilliant, isn't it? Perhaps by this time next year Samsung can build a tablet that doesn't feel like it will fall apart in your hands.

• Reply 19 of 47

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

While you are sleeping in Australia we will have them.

That should give them plenty of extra time to complain about how the LTE doesn't work.

????

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that absolutely no one here cares in any respect.

Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

Another thread, another troll.

Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

I am just guessing here, but they likely want to avoid an announcement on Tuesday, September 11...

Just a thought.

They don't do any Tuesday announcements anymore.

• Reply 20 of 47
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    It's good to hear that production is happening [I]ahead[/I] of the launch¡