New video compares iPhone 4S, 'iPhone 5' parts side-by-side

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A video released on Wednesday combined a number of iPhone 4S parts with allegedly leaked components belonging to the next-generation iPhone, highlighting the supposed changes Apple made in regard to flex cables and screen size.

While the fresh video from repair company SmartPhone Medic doesn't offer much in the way of new information, it does give a close-up look at a few parts allegedly bound for the sixth-generation iPhone.

The video starts with two iPhone 4S display assemblies sitting between two front covers believed to be from the next-generation handset. Clearly seen is the difference in screen size as well as the placement of the device's proximity sensor and camera, which has been switched in relation to the current model. The front-facing camera now sits directly above the speaker while the infrared proximity sensor resides just to the left of the lozenge-shaped hole.

Next up is a quick size comparison with Samsung's Galaxy S III, which can nearly fit the entire front cover of the purported Apple handset within the boundaries of its massive 4.8-inch diagonal display.

Perhaps the most interesting section of the video is the comparison between the flex cables seen on the current iPhone 4S and next-gen iPhone. As pointed out above, one of the main operational iPhone 4S flex cables holds the headphone jack, volume rocker and vibrator switch, while the 'iPhone 5' counterpart eschews the jack and adds on the sleep/wake button control.

As for the charge port flex cables, the most obvious change is the down-sizing of Apple's 30-pin connector to a 9-pin design. Also noted is the new headphone jack placement, which is thought to now reside on the bottom of the handset akin to the iPod touch, and a service antenna.

A final comparison shows the new handset's proximity sensor flex cable will relocate the wake/sleep controls and add a noise-cancellation microphone.

In all, no new components or circuity were found, however it seems that Apple's engineers may have drastically reconfigured the purported next-gen iPhone's internals to make room for a battery that can power a 4-inch screen.

Apple is widely expected to both announce and take pre-orders for the device at a special event on Sept. 12, with the unit rumored to ship in the U.S. on Sept. 21.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Looks legit. Getting inside the dock connector was a treat. So we don't have a double-sided dock connector port, but it does appear to be a double-sided dock connector plug,
  • Reply 2 of 45
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Whatever just deliver it to me day one.

• Reply 3 of 45
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Maybe there will be a post showing a comparison to the iPhone 4s and the iPhone 5 logic boards soon.

• Reply 4 of 45
    tylerk36 wrote: »
    Maybe there will be a post showing a comparison to the iPhone 4s and the iPhone 5 logic boards soon.

I want a 12 minute exposè on the thickness and any variance in the Fraunhofer diffraction of the cover glass.
  • Reply 5 of 45

Pffft.  part of a complex plan from apple to confuse people, and catch out those releasing apples IP

• Reply 6 of 45
    845032845032 Posts: 76member

I seriously doubt these iphone5 parts are real.

Apple keep product secret very well.

Even Apple fired their employee who showed ipad to wozniak.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Steve-Wozniak-iPad-Engineer-Fired,news-6588.html

I think these parts are all fake according to their plan.

• Reply 7 of 45
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member

The fact that iPhone-5 has a smaller screen at the same time with a thicker bezel compared to S3 is just killing me.

• Reply 8 of 45
    jason98 wrote: »
    The fact that iPhone-5 has a smaller screen at the same time with a thicker bezel compared to S3 is just killing me.

The 6th gen iPhone side bezel is thinner than the Samsung phone shown in the video.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    dmarcootdmarcoot Posts: 191member

so much for "doubling down on secrecy"

There has never been a product in Apple history that has been as dissected as this one was pre-relese. Not one. The only parts that are a mystery that I can think of are camera, CPU, GPU and memory.

• Reply 10 of 45
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

The fact that iPhone-5 has a much, much better screen at the same time with a thinner bezel compared to S3 is just killing me.

There, fixed that for you.

• Reply 11 of 45

If people are moaning about how it is not radically different from the 4S, I think they need to realise that Apple would not change the form factor just for the sake of changing it. I do not think there is another consumer electronics company that thinks about all aspects before deciding what goes in and what stays out of the next model.

I am sure that Ive has a revolutionary design prototype sitting in his lab, but it will see the light of day only when the time is right and the design is feasible. If not, then why not stick to the 4S design, which is one classy looking phone anyway you look at it.

This race towards a bigger phone can only go so far before we reach tablet territory. People taking calls on the Galaxy Note look every bit as ridiculous as those that used the original Nokia N-gage.

I used to watch a lot of movies on the iPhone and IMO, another inch or so is not going to make it radically different, either for movies or for browsing. Of course, YMMV, but now that there is an iPad, or other 7" tablets, if you prefer those, to watch movies and browse on a bigger screen, how big should the iPhone screen be before it becomes cumbersome?

One of the best things about the App Store is that it was launched for the iPhone and so we have excellent apps optimised just for the real-estate available on the iPhone. So even on the software front, there is no burning need for more screen size, IMHO.

I'm just waiting to get my hands on this as soon as possible!

• Reply 12 of 45
    If people are moaning about how it is not radically different from the 4S, I think they need to realise that Apple would not change the form factor just for the sake of changing it. I do not think there is another consumer electronics company that thinks about all aspects before deciding what goes in and what stays out of the next model.

I don't know why people are moaning at all. This next iPhone is a new design... with a new screen too!

However... the iPhone 4S was exactly like the previous model... they should have moaned about that (oh wait... they did!)

You can't please everyone!
  • Reply 13 of 45
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

Quote:

Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

There, fixed that for you.

Mis-quoting people is an absurd and offensive thing to do. 

Never do it again.

• Reply 14 of 45
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

I don't know why people are moaning at all. This next iPhone is a new design... with a new screen too!

However... the iPhone 4S was exactly like the previous model... they should have moaned about that (oh wait... they did!)

Wait, so because the design didn't change means it's the exact same phone? Better processor, better graphics capabilities, more RAM, better camera..... None of that actually made it different from the 4? Interesting.

• Reply 15 of 45
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Mis-quoting people is an absurd and offensive thing to do. 

Never do it again.

Telling people on a random internet forum what to do like you are their boss or parent is an absurd and offensive thing to do.

Have a nice day!

• Reply 16 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

I wouldn't call it a new design, just a slight evolution on the previous design. It's still a beautiful design, arguably the best in class, and there's certainly some sense in the old 'if it 'aint broke' idiom.

That said, phones are unfortunately fashion accessories for some, and people like new things. Change for change's sake may be a waste of energy, but it sells products.

Personally I'm perfectly happy with the design, I just wish Apple would offer it at multiple sizes. I'd go for a 4.8" iPhone over a 4" iPhone in a heartbeat.

• Reply 17 of 45
    kotatsu wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it a new design, just a slight evolution on the previous design.

What is slight about it? Everything about it dramatically re-engineered. Larger display, smaller home button, headphone jack on bottom, anodized aluminum casing, new dock connector, redesigned and positioned FT camera and ambient light sensor, and a metal casing that wraps around the back. That's just external changes that come to mind. This is the most significant YoY change we've ever seen and will probably see for several years.
  • Reply 18 of 45
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I want a 12 minute exposè on the thickness and any variance in the Fraunhofer diffraction of the cover glass.

Have you seen the 22:38 video discussion of the new iPhone sRGB-Rec.709 Standard Color Gamut accuracy?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

I seriously doubt these iphone5 parts are real.

Apple keep product secret very well.

Even Apple fired their employee who showed ipad to wozniak.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Steve-Wozniak-iPad-Engineer-Fired,news-6588.html

I think these parts are all fake according to their plan.

I agree that the demonstrated parts are almost certainly not actual new iPhone parts.  SmartPhone Medic, the company providing the video, does not mention that they are an Apple authorized service provider anywhere on their website (that I could find).  Furthermore, Apple authorized service providers must adhere to certain guidelines including the use of the Apple logo and certainly not posting videos of products prior to release.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmarcoot View Post

so much for "doubling down on secrecy"

There has never been a product in Apple history that has been as dissected as this one was pre-relese. Not one. The only parts that are a mystery that I can think of are camera, CPU, GPU and memory.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Do you remember how sure many people were that Apple's fifth-gen iPhone to have curved glass screen?

I feel far more confident that I know the CPU and GPU specifications than anything else about the new iPhone.  While Apple may be misleading everyone by distributing misinformation about the new iPhone, there are only a few models of CPU and GPU feasible especially considering the typical use of premium parts in Apple iPhone.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 19 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

People taking calls on the Galaxy Note look every bit as ridiculous as those that used the original Nokia N-gage.

And every bit as ridiculous as those capturing video with an ipad, whilst no doubt also holding it in portrait orientation (one of my pet hates*)...

I agree that there is a size limit for practicality when it comes to mobile devices who's primary function is a telephone. Hovering somewhere around the 4 inch diagonal seems to be the sweet spot dependent on the bezel size and aspect ratio. I also feel 3.5 inches is too small and 5 inches is too big. I expect the next phone from apple to be hitting that sweet spot, whatever the ratio.

*if iOS is so intuitive, why does it allow/encourage video capture in portrait? Surely, when switching to video capture mode, the on-screen graphics should simultaneously switch to landscape to prevent all these 'accidental' portrait videos we see everywhere.

• Reply 20 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What is slight about it? Everything about it dramatically re-engineered. Larger display, smaller home button, headphone jack on bottom, anodized aluminum casing, new dock connector, redesigned and positioned FT camera and ambient light sensor, and a metal casing that wraps around the back. That's just external changes that come to mind. This is the most significant YoY change we've ever seen and will probably see for several years.

But it's visually similar to the iPhone 4. The jump from the very rounded 3G to the 4 was much more noticeable. The 5 is, for all intents and purposes, a 4 with a metal back.

Look at the difference between the Galaxy S2 and the Galaxy S3. Very different.