Apple deploys specialized anti-theft dock connectors at retail stores

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Stores appear to be stepping up anti-theft measures with a proprietary piece of equipment that serves as both an iDevice dock connector and a security tether.

AppleInsider reader Chris first noticed the new cable on Wednesday when visiting his local Apple Store, and it has been confirmed that a number of locations nationwide have started to implement the new connector, though supply may be an issue as not every iDevice has their own, with most of the units being reserved for expensive third-generation iPads or products near the store's entrance.

By looking and playing the part of the dock connector that comes with every iPad, iPhone and iPod touch, Apple's new security cable belies its ability to completely lock down a device to avoid theft. The difference lies in how the security unit is removed, or rather how it can't be removed, from an iDevice.

Perhaps the only way to tell the mechanism apart from its less-secure counterpart is the "lock" logo emblazoned on its front, which takes the place of Apple's usual "line within a box" representation of a male/female connector. When attached to an iDevice, the cable physically locks in to the product's metal chassis just as a normal dock connector, but the internals have been tweaked to prevent the unit from disengaging, essentially tethering the product to the display table.

While the inner workings of the new cable are a mystery, a simple reshaping and bolstering of the attachment prongs could easily do the job, much like the first-generation 30-pin connectors that could only be released when users pinched two side-mounted actuators. It is thought a special tool may be needed to disengage the unit, though representatives declined to comment on the mechanism's intricacies. Also unknown is how the USB side of the cable works with the system as it was hidden within the display table, but it is most likely attached via conventional means.

Security Cable Close
Close-up view of "lock" logo.

It is unknown if a third party is producing the product, but retail personnel say the cable is functionally different than previous "contact" security measures taken by all brick-and-mortar Apple Stores. Currently, a wire cable is affixed to the back of display units with an adhesive patch which, while fairly strong, can be pried off with the right amount of force. The thin cables can also be connected to an alarm, alerting staff when a wire has been cut or tampered with. One person familiar with the matter claims the new cables are alarm-capable, but did not explain how the system functions.

Security Cable Front

Besides the extra safety ensured by the physical mechanism, the new connector provides a more elegant lockdown solution than having a multitude of wires sprouting out of a device.

One employee likened the cable to the Kensington lock slot used to protect MacBook Pros from would-be thieves. It should be noted that the slot is not included in the MacBook Pro with Retina display, likely due to the laptop's thin design.

Security Cable Back
Back side of security dock connector.

When asked if Apple would be releasing a version of the cable to the public, representatives said they were unaware of any such plans.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Interesting. I hope we find out how it's done because it's very seamless to the standard connector. The iPad itself looks standard.
  • Reply 2 of 27

What's the other end of the cable like?

• Reply 3 of 27
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    magic_al wrote: »
    What's the other end of the cable like?

• Reply 4 of 27
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    This is way old news, I remember noticing these at several stores back when the new iPad launched. On iPads and phones

My guess is that they switched to this after iFixIt started selling the pentalobe driver making it easy to just unscrew and remove the back plate to steal the iPhone
  • Reply 5 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Interesting. I hope we find out how it's done because it's very seamless to the standard connector. The iPad itself looks standard.

Internally, it is almost identical to the standard 30 pin male connector with the spring-actuated release; however, it is missing the pinchable "buttons" on the two sides. To actuate the spring release, you need a custom tool to reach "into" the connector instead. The photos here do not show the sides of the connector where the openings of the tool are.

• Reply 6 of 27

*Boom!*, Indeed.

• Reply 7 of 27
    This is anything but new. Stores have been using this for at least the past 12 months.

Functionally, they're the same as the really old iPod cable that you needed to press in. Instead of the "buttons" on the old cable, there's two holes ether side and we have a special tool to unlock it.

They just plug into the alarm system exactly the same as the rest of them: and the end it's a USB cable for charging, and like a telephone jack that plugs into the alarm
  • Reply 8 of 27
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Damn Apple and it's proprietary connectors! The world demands openness!

• Reply 9 of 27

Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Damn Apple and it's proprietary connectors! The world demands openness!

This just in, Master loses court case in EU about having proprietary locks, forced to manufacture all future locks that require only one key so that people don't have to buy new keys when they buy new locks.

• Reply 10 of 27

Even the security cables are getting simpler and more elegant.

• Reply 11 of 27

I wonder how they'll do this locking with the new iDevice cable. ;-)

• Reply 12 of 27
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member

This seems rather trivial, but really is a tiny detail that makes a big difference.  There's nothing worse than going to look at a competitor's phone or tablet and see some big honking gas station like keychain attached.

Still I wonder how many people they catch trying to grab and dash, not realizing the alarm is going to go off.

• Reply 13 of 27

Talk about old news, these nifty cables have been in place at the Apple Stores in London and Glasgow for about 2.5 years...

• Reply 14 of 27

I was going to mention what about the supposed new style connector, but dahacouk beat me to it, hours ago. Damn the hours I work. :-D lol

Could be why there're rationed, if they are, though.

• Reply 15 of 27

Quote:

magnets, how do they work?

• Reply 16 of 27
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

When asked if Apple would be releasing a version of the cable to the public, representatives said they were unaware of any such plans.

Well Duh - if you released the same cable to the public you would also have to provide instructions and or the special tool required to remove it - which would then render the security of the cables at the store null and void. 

Even if they had one version for the store and a different version for the public I think it would not take long for people to figure it out - and what about places like Best Buy - do they get the Apple version or the public version of the security cable? 

• Reply 17 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

magnets, how do they work?

This has nothing to do with magnets.

• Reply 18 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonnaGetFired View Post

This is anything but new. Stores have been using this for at least the past 12 months.

Functionally, they're the same as the really old iPod cable that you needed to press in. Instead of the "buttons" on the old cable, there's two holes ether side and we have a special tool to unlock it.

They just plug into the alarm system exactly the same as the rest of them: and the end it's a USB cable for charging, and like a telephone jack that plugs into the alarm

Yeah, this isn't new.

• Reply 19 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by macslut View Post

This seems rather trivial, but really is a tiny detail that makes a big difference.  There's nothing worse than going to look at a competitor's phone or tablet and see some big honking gas station like keychain attached.

Still I wonder how many people they catch trying to grab and dash, not realizing the alarm is going to go off.

You can't grab and dash. You need to use a custom tool to release it. Or else you need to cut the cable.

• Reply 20 of 27
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Now if they pair it with an app on the idevice that will alarm real loud when the connector is removed and will work no matter what the volume is set to and prevents you from turning off the device, then you have a winner...I would buy one....