Microsoft's new logo emphasizes Windows, Metro

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
For the first time in 25 years, Microsoft has updated its logo, with a tiled symbol that evokes the logo for its Windows operating system, as well as the new tile-driven Metro interface being pushed by the company.

The intent behind the new logo was explained by the company in a post to its official blog on Thursday. Jeff Hansen, general manager of brand strategy at Microsoft, said his company wants to have a common look and feel across all of its products, including upcoming launches of Windows 8, Windows Phone 8, and the next version of Office

"This wave of new releases is not only a reimagining of our most popular products, but also represents a new era for Microsoft, so our logo should evolve to visually accentuate this new beginning," Hansen said.

The new logo uses the Segoe font for the Microsoft name. That same font is used by the company in its products as well as its marketing communications.

To the left of the Microsoft name is a symbol of four colored squares akin to the Microsoft logo as well as the Metro user interface found on Windows Phone and Windows 8.

Microsoft

"The symbol is important in a world of digital motion," Hansen explained. "The symbol's squares of color are intended to express the company's diverse portfolio of products."

The new logo will be seen on all of Microsoft's products, including Microsoft.com; retail stores operated by the company in Boston, Mass., Seattle, Wash., and Bellevue, Wash.; and television advertisements and other forms of marketing.

"We're excited about the new logo, but more importantly about this new era in which we're reimagining how our products can help people and businesses throughout the world realize their full potential," Hansen said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 171
    mrj2mrj2 Posts: 1member
    Yawn.

Windows 8 sucks.
  • Reply 2 of 171
    bill42bill42 Posts: 131member

Slow day, AppleInsider?

• Reply 3 of 171
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member

• Reply 4 of 171
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Well this fixes everything. 

(So happy I left Windows behind years ago. Look at the last 7 years. What's happened in Redmond? A whole lotta NOTHING.)

• Reply 5 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Well this fixes everything. 

(So happy I left Windows behind years ago. Look at the last 7 years. What's happened in Redmond? A whole lotta NOTHING.)

Hey now that's unfair. Look at that they have a shiny new logo

• Reply 6 of 171
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    The one time they really needed to steal a clever design ... and they don't...
  • Reply 7 of 171
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member

Quote:

Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Damn, I miss Steve!!

RIP

• Reply 8 of 171
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Is this a last minute decision or a tightly kept secret they thought would shatter the tech media sites for a day?
  • Reply 9 of 171
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member

Quote:

Microsoft

It's Windows 8: Pixelated Edition.  A throwback for all the retro gamers out there.

• Reply 9 of 171
    aeleggaelegg Posts: 99member

Literally EVERYTHING MS does is backwards. 

Two Examples:

In a widescreen world where LCDs are wider than they are tall, MS is........thickening the horizontal border at the top of the Office apps with useless crap, creating even LESS visual room.  "Less vertical room, make the ribben 200% fatter for no reason".

Today's announcement that their new logo embraces digital motion: so the logo is even more static than their old flowing, motion-suggesting logo.

Backwards.  EVERYthing.

"We've taken all moving-hints out of our logo and created a completely static one....to celebrate....digital motion".

Both are fine logos.  I've noticed all big companies logos simpify over time (check out Shell Oil). 

But MS can't escape their own backwardness, ever.

• Reply 11 of 171
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Where I work we unveiled an "exciting new logo" a few years ago that was similarly uninspired and unveiled with the same "excitement."  I bet they spent countless hours discussin the precise shade of grey for the wording and the relative size of the 4 squares.  This is one of those times you can feel good about yourself knowing that you didn't make the career choice to focus on "visual identity."

• Reply 12 of 171
    darkpawdarkpaw Posts: 212member

Why the lengthy whitespace at the end? Is this a sign that Microsoft hasn't done anything in the last few years?

• Reply 13 of 171
    moochmooch Posts: 113member

A new logo to represent a new Microsoft: bland, derivative, and forgettable!

• Reply 14 of 171
    A bunch of squares. What a great way to represent a technology company! As if computer guys aren't already thought of as squares.

[/sarc off]
  • Reply 15 of 171
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member

Well I always felt that Microsoft was run by a bunch of "Squares" now I have proof.

• Reply 16 of 171

They should have made it all blue to match Windows OS infamous blue screen of death. :-)

• Reply 17 of 171

How much did this cost?

• Reply 18 of 171
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"We're excited about the new logo, but more importantly about this new era in which we're reimagining how our products can help people and businesses throughout the world realize their full potential," Hansen said.

Hey, Jeff. 

You know that whole "new era" thing? You missed it by about 5 years. 

Sent from my iPad. 

• Reply 19 of 171
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Microsoft

Interestingly, a common euphemism for someone with no taste is ... a "square."  

• Reply 20 of 171
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

I like this a lot better than the new Windows logo.