Microsoft's new logo emphasizes Windows, Metro

Comments

• Reply 21 of 171
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I will miss the old logo, that thing the "o" and "s" had going on.

• Reply 22 of 171

AI, It's not called Metro anymore...

• Reply 23 of 171

looks  like I am the only one who thinks the new logo is nicer, I never really liked the old one with the wavy fluttering flag type logo.... but then i've never even liked msft.

• Reply 24 of 171
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

Looks good to me. A little too much like a product logo, maybe, but only in comparison to other Microsoft designs.

• Reply 25 of 171
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member

You know when a corp lost his way, they usually goes back to basic. Like Apple has done before by changing his multicolored logo with a solid one.

But this is ridiculous, even Windows 1 had a more distinctive logo than that!

• Reply 26 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

AI, It's not called Metro anymore...

There's no successor name to Metro. Any recent reviews that mentions that UI is still referring to Metro. The-UI-formerly-known-as-Metro hasn't caught on and I hope doesn't.

• Reply 27 of 171

it has squares, so it's already patented by apple. haven't they been following the apple/samsung case?

• Reply 28 of 171

I have been a lifetime Microsoft user and typically an early adopter, particularly in the late 90s.  Never used an Apple product other than an iPod. I have not read the previous comments.  My initial thought when seeing the new Microsoft logo was "square".  Is it in Microsoft's favor, in today's environment, to depict themselves as square?  Most everything in the computing environment today is fluid and to graphically say "We're Square!" doesn't seem to me to give them a market advantage.  We'll see.  When it comes down to it the products will determine their future success or failure.

• Reply 29 of 171
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Meh, it's a nice logo I guess. Maybe I'm over-thinking this, but from the video, it looks like the blue square represented Windows, then the orange square represented Office (but they showed a 3-D square or something), then the green square seemed to be XBOX (but they just showed the round normal XBOX logo there) and then the yellow square.....wait.....what about the yellow square? Were they going somewhere with this???
  • Reply 30 of 171
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

They were quite historically lucky really, I think the squares were originally a window pane (i.e. emphasis on the cross between the squares, not the squares themselves), but simply by changing the emphasis to the squares, it now represents the tiles in their new GUI.

• Reply 31 of 171
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    The new logo is the only excitement in Windows 8
    But Microsoft has a large user base and any improvement will get attention at the beginning but quickly for out.
  • Reply 32 of 171
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    auxio wrote: »
    It's Windows 8: Pixelated Edition.  A throwback for all the retro gamers out there.

No, No, No, No.....

The pixelated edition is apparently copied from Apple, too:

http://scoopertino.com/apple-unveils-low-cost-cornea-display/
  • Reply 33 of 171
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenfingers View Post

it has squares, so it's already patented by apple. haven't they been following the apple/samsung case?

Don't confuse your self between squares and rounded rect. 

• Reply 34 of 171

They've actually managed to make the logo AS BORING AS IS, WAS, OR EVER WILL BE possible.  

Makes me think of a pharmaceutical company, actually -- further proof that the powers-that-be in Redmond actually ARE on drugs???!!

(Nah, drugs would make them MORE interesting, not less...)

• Reply 35 of 171
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

Where I work we unveiled an "exciting new logo" a few years ago that was similarly uninspired and unveiled with the same "excitement."  I bet they spent countless hours discussin the precise shade of grey for the wording and the relative size of the 4 squares.  This is one of those times you can feel good about yourself knowing that you didn't make the career choice to focus on "visual identity."

Well, to be fair, Steve was famous for agonizing over minute differences of shade for damned paint on factory machinery.

• Reply 36 of 171

I quite like the new logo. More to the point, it was urgently needed - the previous MS logo looked really dated and gave the impression of a 20th-century company.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

(So happy I left Windows behind years ago. Look at the last 7 years. What's happened in Redmond? A whole lotta NOTHING.)

Well, for a start, Windows 7 has been released - an acclaimed and highly successful operating system whose sales dwarf those of OS X.

Call that 'nothing' if you want to.

• Reply 37 of 171
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

It is an improvement although I think the font is too bold.

• Reply 38 of 171

It's ok.  I know how tough it can be to create a new logo and there will always be those that don't like whatever gets chosen.  It's the nature of design.

• Reply 39 of 171
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    They've actually managed to make the logo AS BORING AS IS, WAS, OR EVER WILL BE possible.  

Makes me think of a pharmaceutical company, actually -- further proof that the powers-that-be in Redmond actually ARE on drugs???!!

(Nah, drugs would make them MORE interesting, not less...)

Maybe. A very strong sedative just might make Ballmer less interesting. Marginally. Maybe.
  • Reply 40 of 171

Sleepy. This logo is making you very sleepy.

...zzz........