Microsoft's new logo emphasizes Windows, Metro

Comments

• Reply 41 of 171
    flabberflabber Posts: 100member

Is that the new Retina Microsoft logo? I mean, that is a retina icon right? ;)

In all honesty, I don't see this as much of an improvement, more like an alternative version of their very off-balanced and awkward perspective blue "window" logo. Even their current wordmark is a lot better.

• Reply 42 of 171

Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

The one time they really needed to steal a clever design ... and they don't...

Am I HONESTLY the first one to notice this?

It's not Myriad Pro, and it's not Myriad Apple, but how much would you bet that they're going to try to call it something other than what it ACTUALLY is: Myriad Microsoft?

• Reply 43 of 171
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member

Quote:

Originally Posted by grannysmith007 View Post

How much did this cost?

New logos for top rank companies often cost into the $1 billions to develop. When you consider all of the work that must have been required to develop Microsoft's unique new look, it is inconceivable that it cost less.

This new look represents the Microsoft that we have come to know and love better than any of its previous logos. Great job, Microsoft! It was worth every $1 million that you spent on it.

• Reply 44 of 171
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

In case, like me, you've already forgotten what the old logo was, here it is:

• Reply 45 of 171
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Halfen View Post

They've actually managed to make the logo AS BORING AS IS, WAS, OR EVER WILL BE possible.  

Makes me think of a pharmaceutical company, actually -- further proof that the powers-that-be in Redmond actually ARE on drugs???!!

(Nah, drugs would make them MORE interesting, not less...)

Well we did see a charlied up Ballmer in the Monkey Boy sessions. That was a hoot.

• Reply 46 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

New logos for top rank companies often cost into the $1 billions to develop. When you consider all of the work that must have been required to develop Microsoft's unique new look, it is inconceivable that it cost less.

This new look represents the Microsoft that we have come to know and love better than any of its previous logos. Great job, Microsoft! It was worth every $1 million that you spent on it.

In the history of the world, no one has every spend a billion dollars designing a logo.  This probably cost a couple million bucks.  The bigger cost is making the conversion on all printed material and Web sites etc., but it still won't approach a BILLION dollars.

• Reply 47 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's not Myriad Pro, and it's not Myriad Apple, but how much would you bet that they're going to try to call it something other than what it ACTUALLY is: Myriad Microsoft?

What?  Are you making a subtle joke?  The article says the font is calle Segoe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segoe

• Reply 48 of 171
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

"We're excited about the new logo"

I suppose they have to get excited about something because their products don't do that.

It's clear that this lot are easily excited.

• Reply 49 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenfingers View Post

it has squares, so it's already patented by apple. haven't they been following the apple/samsung case?

You must have missed when they entered the Apple/Microsoft crosslicence agreement into evidence. They were fully authorized to use squares, rectangles and other patented geometric forms.

I am just happy they did not change the color palette to the ones they use on the ms-surface covers! Just imagine that... Look Ma! our new logo shines in the dark!

• Reply 50 of 171
    rpsxrpsx Posts: 46member

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    i think it's nice. simple and modern. honestly, i think apple has lost it's way in terms of graphic design. paul rand would not impressed with what the OS he originally branded has become. 

that steve jobs clip is old. the cut of helvetica that iOS/macs use is crap. the built in kerning between the 1 and any other number is so off, and it's never been improved. i saw an early microsoft design presentation where they were zooming in text in windows phone 7 about 2000% to show micro-fine perfect kerning for all letters. that's the detail jobs was talking about, that apple UI designers no longer get. 

sorry, this skewmorphic craptasticism has got to stop, apple. i never in 20 years thought i would say that microsoft could out-design apple, but they seem to be moving in that direction. hardware? no. but, at least for software graphic design, they are far more on the right track that faux wood or leather-wrapped apple. gross. 

• Reply 51 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

It's Windows 8: Pixelated Edition.  A throwback for all the retro gamers out there.

On a related note, it truly bothers me how horribly pixelated MS Office looks on my rMBP.

No other software looks so atrocious. 

• Reply 52 of 171

Is correct capitalization an element of design?  I would think so.

• Reply 53 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Well this fixes everything. 

(So happy I left Windows behind years ago. Look at the last 7 years. What's happened in Redmond? A whole lotta NOTHING.)

they still have over 90% of the market in computing and Apple still have 5%..so what Apple has done? nothing just reach to more computer illiterates to buy their stupid computers

• Reply 54 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenfingers View Post

it has squares, so it's already patented by apple. haven't they been following the apple/samsung case?

You should read more. Apple patented the rectangle.?

• Reply 55 of 171
    rpsxrpsx Posts: 46member

Quote:

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

it's actually called SAGOE, microsoft owns it, and it is not myriad at all. 

more importantly, it is a font they have been using in their branding for awhile, and now in their screen UIs. 

consistency is the foundation of good design. 

• Reply 56 of 171

When the general manager of brand strategy for a company that frankly can't decide on a product name to save its life (and I wish that was an exaggeration) and can't figure out why "Windows Phone Series 7" doesn't just roll off the tongue is given front page space you know its a slow news day.

• Reply 57 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I will miss the old logo, that thing the "o" and "s" had going on.

I had completely forgotten about that until you brought it up

So, what's the story behind that wedge between the "o" and the "s"? Were they trying to emphasize -- for those who apparently could not get it -- the fact that the etymology was two separate words, Micro(computer) and Soft(ware)? 

• Reply 58 of 171

I think the logo should have been of a sweaty Balmer screaming "Developers! developers! developers, developers, dvelopers, dvperers, dyepeyers, pant....pant.....dikreelipers...dogelleker..wheeeze...."

• Reply 59 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by grannysmith007 View Post

How much did this cost?

Considering that I could have designed this one in about 20 minutes…? They spent millions, I'm sure.

• Reply 60 of 171

Quote:

Interesting, I actually noticed that the M looked strangely jarring. That's why.