Rumor: Production hiccups may limit launch supply of Apple's new iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new report out of the Far East claims that shipments of Apple's next-generation iPhone are likely to be less than 15 million in the third quarter of 2012 due to some alleged complications in producing the device.

Citing unnamed sources in the supply chain, the sometimes-reliable DigiTimes reported this week that Apple initially hoped to have 20 million units of the new iPhone built this quarter, but that number is expected to fall below 15 million. If true, the figures could suggest that supply of the new iPhone may be constrained for its anticipated launch next month.

The same publication said in late July that low yield rates for in-cell touchscreens expected to be featured in the new iPhone could affect production. This week's "latest rumors" from the Taiwanese news source added that Apple recently redesigned a connector at the bottom of the new iPhone, and that yield rates of the connectors at Foxconn have been low due to insufficient supply of some materials.

"A reduction in the first batch of shipments of new iPhones may result in a short supply, which in turn may trigger a buying spree for new models in the fourth quarter as well as the first half of 2013," the report said.

Last year, sales of the iPhone 4S topped 4 million in its first weekend of availability. That accomplishment was more than double the company's previous record of 1.7 million sold for the iPhone 4 launch in 2010.

iPhone

DigiTimes has a hit-or-miss track record with respect to Apple rumors, but occasionally provides accurate information from within the company's supply chain. The publication was first to report in April that Apple plans to adopt in-cell touch panels for its 2012 iPhone, and those rumors were later corroborated by both analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI securities and The Wall Street Journal.

Apple is rumored to be planning a media event on Sept. 12 to announce its new iPhone, commonly referred to by the media and public as the "iPhone 5." Given previous launch timeframes following the introduction of a new iPhone, it's expected that the device will become available Friday, Sept. 21.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56

DigiTimes ... Why do you folks constantly refer to these fools?

• Reply 2 of 56

Today I learned that "out of the Far East" means Digitimes. I've just learned to laugh when I read that phrase here at AI.

• Reply 3 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadGoat View Post

DigiTimes ... Why do you folks constantly refer to these fools?

And I know people here love to hate on DigiTimes but if you're going to be following the tech industry and Apple, especially, you're going to want to follow as many sources as you can. This is the trade newspaper for suppliers and manufacturers based in Taiwan and working/assembling in China.

Their news is just that - news. A reporter reporting on news. There is spin and speculation and all sorts of stuff read into their stories. Honhai revenue up 5% this quarter. That's news. Therefore they must have just received the first order placed for the iPad mini, iPhone, whatever. That's speculation.

• Reply 4 of 56

the rumor that comes around once a year...

• Reply 5 of 56

This isn't even news. Happens with every launch!

• Reply 6 of 56
    Wow. Was just waiting for this rumor. Every iPhone has had this rumor for at least the last 3 iterations.
  • Reply 7 of 56
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

This isn't even news. Happens with every launch!

Well, in their defence  they've couched the news in all sorts of caveats like "might" and "could" (cause shortages). 

The thing that isn't being reported here is that the target for launch is 14 million devices available for shipping.  Even if this report is accurate, it's just saying that something less than 14 million will be available.  This doesn't necessarily even suggest there will be a problem.  

In the past, when supply has been a problem, Apple has typically countered by simply screwing over Canada or the UK (removing them from the list of launch countries), in favour of the USA, so it's not like there will be any real shortages for pre-orders or pick-ups for at least half of the people reading this forum (USA-ians).  It's all fluff and nonsense and the greater likelihood is that people will get their iPhones early rather than late.  

• Reply 8 of 56

Yes, this is not a rumor this is called publicity. They - Apple - does it every launch to drive up demand. Now, hurry!  You need to get the new iPhone ASAP. Or else they will not have any more

for a loooooong time. Days!  Weeks!  Who knows?!  Panic. 

• Reply 9 of 56

iPhone 5 or the iPhone LE - Long Edition?  Really not excited about this phone anymore since it's starting to look like the lenght growth only rumors are true. I really hope they're not but it's not looking good.

• Reply 10 of 56
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

iPhone 5 or the iPhone LE - Long Edition?  Really not excited about this phone anymore since it's starting to look like the lenght growth only rumors are true. I really hope they're not but it's not looking good.

Quit yer bitchin'.

• Reply 11 of 56
    Yep, its the same rumour every single year.

There will be millions sitting in the production warehouse.
    Releasing them to the despatch warehouse is certainly done to formulae.
  • Reply 12 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

the rumor that comes around once a year...

Twice a year if you consider the same for the iPad.

• Reply 13 of 56

Really not excited about this phone anymore since it's starting to look like the lenght growth only rumors are true. I really hope they're not but it's not looking good.

Of course what we've seen is what we're getting. Don't delude yourself otherwise. Do you REALLY think you want a wider phone?

• Reply 14 of 56
    "Sometimes reliable" is a shit term for DigiTimes. You should include 'DigiTimes' in the article title so I know not to waste my time reading what is almost sure to be complete drivel.
  • Reply 15 of 56
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

We heard this same nonsense last year, and everyone I know that ordered a 4S had them on launch day, baring one or two shipping snafus. If there are shortages, it's the foreign outfits and smaller carriers that are going to have to deal with them, as Apple does a fair job of making sure all their US partners get plenty of initial stock.

• Reply 16 of 56
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Really not excited about this phone anymore since it's starting to look like the lenght growth only rumors are true. I really hope they're not but it's not looking good.

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Of course what we've seen is what we're getting. Don't delude yourself otherwise. Do you REALLY think you want a wider phone?

I agree that its pretty obvious we will get the phone we see on the leaks.  Apple will defend there design decisions in the keynotes, lets wait for that before we pass jugement.

I think Samsung as gone to the limit of what they can do with bigger screens. So what else are they going to do to "innovate" now?   More phone with pens?  The thing is I would personnaly like a 4.5 16:9 screen, but not at the price of leaving my "all apple" ecosystem which I love very much. Personnaly I think Apple should offer 2 screen size phones instead of trying to do a one size fit all model. Maybe in 2013.

bottom line, I will still upgrade to the new iphone even if I am in the category that wants a bigger screen than 4"

• Reply 17 of 56
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Well, in their defence  they've couched the news in all sorts of caveats like "might" and "could" (cause shortages). 

Which, in my opinion, translates to a blatant attempt to manipulate AAPL. 

• Reply 18 of 56

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I think Samsung as gone to the limit of what they can do with bigger screens. So what else are they going to do to "innovate" now?

They'll have a 5.7" "phone" out in Q1 2013 to combat the next iPhone, just you watch.

• Reply 19 of 56
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Think? No.

Know for a fact? Yes.

Some of us don't have child hands, however, and can still navigate larger screens without any issues, and would much appreciate the increased visual real estate. What good is a longer screen going to do us? Oh, we don't have to scroll as much. Uh. Thanks? We'll still be scrolling left to right while trying to view non-mobile optimized pages, and as a programmer I'll have to now code for THREE aspect ratios instead of two, but hey, yeah, thanks for the longer screen. It's exactly what *no one* asked for.

• Reply 20 of 56

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

…thanks for the longer screen. It's exactly what *no one* asked for.

"People don't know what they want until you show it to them."

I wouldn't bother repeating it except that it has held true for the last thirty years.