Apple releases Mountain Lion OS X 10.8.1 with iMessage, Migration Assistant fixes

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday released OS X 10.8.1, the first security and maintenance update for its Mountain Lion operating system, featuring fixes for iMessage, Migration Assistant, and audio on Thunderbolt displays.

OS X 10.8.1 is now available for download through the Mac App Store. Users can also obtain a manual installer of the update direct from Apple.

Apple's release notes state that the update will improve the stability and compatibility of a user's Mac. The list of fixes provided by Apple are:
  • Resolve an issue that may cause Migration Assistant to unexpectedly quit
  • Improve compatibility when connecting to a Microsoft Exchange server in Mail
  • Address an issue playing audio through a Thunderbolt display
  • Resolve an issue that could prevent iMessages from being sent
  • Address an issue that could cause the system to become unresponsive when using Pinyin input
  • Resolve an issue when connecting to SMB servers with long names
  • Address a issue that may prevent Safari from launching when using a Proxy Automatic Configuration (PAC) file
  • Improve 802.1X authentication with Active Directory credentials.
Only two developer previews of OS X 10.8.1 were made available prior to Thursday's official launch of the software. Mountain Lion became available on the Mac App Store less than a month ago, on July 25.

Just this week, Apple began inviting developers to begin testing OS X 10.8.2, signaling that the release of OS X 10.8.1 was imminent. No details are yet available on what fixes OS X 10.8.2 may provide when it eventually debuts to the public.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    It should be "two developer previews of OS X 10.8.1 we're made available...". Not 10.8.2.
  • Reply 2 of 64

No mention of addressing the speculative battery issues makes me wonder if that was an issue after all. (There may well have been people experiencing some issues but it may have been indirectly related.) Also, a notably short list of fixes. It sounds like they just about nailed it on the initial release.

• Reply 3 of 64
    ddawson100 wrote: »
    Also, a notably short list of fixes. It sounds like they just about nailed it on the initial release.

Yeah for me the update weighed in at 7.28MB
  • Reply 4 of 64

Hope this increases the battery life, previous reads on the beta state that there was an increase in battery life.  On another note, also hoping for one of these updates to help fix the new Mac Book Pro Retina's webcam issues....but not holding my breath.

• Reply 5 of 64
    vaelianvaelian Posts: 446member
    ddawson100 wrote: »
    No mention of addressing the speculative battery issues makes me wonder if that was an issue after all. (There may well have been people experiencing some issues but it may have been indirectly related.) Also, a notably short list of fixes. It sounds like they just about nailed it on the initial release.

Never had the battery issue myself, so I've always assumed it had something to do with third-party software. That said I did have issues with Reminders crashing consistently on street addresses with non-ASCII characters (silently fixed) and rendering on safari (unknown -- this takes a while to happen after Safari is restarted and I haven't figured out what causes it yet).
  • Reply 6 of 64
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

I have a feeling this update doesn't fix the updates people were expecting. I'd be curious to see if they fixed the WiFi issue many were having. This could be the reason why they're pushing out 10.8.2 so quickly. 

• Reply 7 of 64
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    I hope this fixes the hot corners expose issue I have. Since upgrading the bottom left corner does not reveal the desktop like I've set it too. Seriously annoying to say the least!
  • Reply 8 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I have a feeling this update doesn't fix the updates people were expecting. I'd be curious to see if they fixed the WiFi issue many were having. This could be the reason why they're pushing out 10.8.2 so quickly. 

You mean the one where the computer has no network connection after waking from sleep, and then crashes when you try selecting a network? That's the fix I'm waiting for. I've never had to restart so many times as in the last two weeks.

• Reply 9 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

What were they 'expecting'? What 'wifi issues'?

• Reply 10 of 64

I've just update to 10.8.1. I'll post my findings here. 10.8.0 gave me a battery life around 4-5hrs. To be fair, that's same battery life I had with lion. I'm going to charge it fully and see if I find a significant difference.

• Reply 11 of 64
    wingswings Posts: 261member

Is Perian still broken in 10.8.1?

• Reply 12 of 64
    Development on the Perian project was discontinued about a year ago.

More info: http://perian.org/

I suggest downloading [URL=http://www.videolan.org]VLC[/URL] instead.
  • Reply 13 of 64

My WiFi seems to have improved connectivity...but that may just be coincidence. This was a small update from the App store. It only registered 7.8 MB for me.

• Reply 14 of 64
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wings View Post

Is Perian still broken in 10.8.1?

Didn't you get the memo. EOL.

• Reply 15 of 64

Smallest OS X update ever? I can't remember one weighing in at less than 7.5MB.

• Reply 16 of 64

Originally Posted by ombra2105 View Post

Yeah for me the update weighed in at 7.28MB

Finally actual delta updates… Gigabyte+ 10.x.x updates were sort of insane.

• Reply 17 of 64
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member

Looks like it does not fix the broken audio Aggregate Device behavior.  Pretty big shot in foot.  

• Reply 18 of 64

This update is broken. I updated via the website, and it installed successfully, but when I go to the App Store software updater it still shows that 10.8.1 isn't installed yet. 

• Reply 19 of 64

So, off the bat I can say that the update has solved my Thunderbolt audio issue. Audio now properly switches to the display without me having to do all sorts of funky deals to get it to work. With regards to battery, time will tell if it solves my battery issue. On Lion (I have an Early 2011 MBP 15"), I did about 5-6 hours of battery with sometimes being able to get 7 when not doing a whole lot. With 10.8.0, I was averaging about 1.5-3 max. Since installing the update, I have noticed that my battery now says that I have over 5 hours remaining again (haven't seen that in a while) so we'll see if I get that or if it is still around 3 max.

• Reply 20 of 64
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    My wake on LAN access stopped working when I installed (upgrade) 10.8.

Still not working with 10.8.1.

There are several notable discussion threads referring to it. Mid-2011 iMac.