Microsoft's new logo emphasizes Windows, Metro

Comments

• Reply 61 of 171
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    Looks very 1990s to me. And as others have said, being "square" isn't exactly a wonderful image to paint of yourself...
  • Reply 62 of 171
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpsx View Post

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    i think it's nice. simple and modern. honestly, i think apple has lost it's way in terms of graphic design. paul rand would not impressed with what the OS he originally branded has become. 

that steve jobs clip is old. the cut of helvetica that iOS/macs use is crap. the built in kerning between the 1 and any other number is so off, and it's never been improved. i saw an early microsoft design presentation where they were zooming in text in windows phone 7 about 2000% to show micro-fine perfect kerning for all letters. that's the detail jobs was talking about, that apple UI designers no longer get. 

sorry, this skewmorphic craptasticism has got to stop, apple. i never in 20 years thought i would say that microsoft could out-design apple, but they seem to be moving in that direction. hardware? no. but, at least for software graphic design, they are far more on the right track that faux wood or leather-wrapped apple. gross. 

I mostly agree. The new MS logo is actually simple, clean, elegant. I like it (though I generally hate MS). This actually may show some new sense of taste and style emerging at MS.

As for those focusing on the squareness and what this must say about MS...I suggest that perhaps there's some projecting going on there. :rolleyes:

I also agree that Apple's excessive use of skeuomorphic design in their UIs. It has been gaudy and tiresome. It's kind of amazing to me that Apple who has stripped away the clutter and excess in their hardware, packaging and even stores still hasn't quite figured out where to go in this modern time...at least not consistently. Some stuff they've done well, others seems so childishly implemented that you wonder if it is the same company.

While I don't know if MS has it all figured out with Metro, I like how they're thinking about the problem.

• Reply 63 of 171
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    mr. me wrote: »
    New logos for top rank companies often cost into the $1 billions to develop. When you consider all of the work that must have been required to develop Microsoft's unique new look, it is inconceivable that it cost less.

I love it when mathematically-challenged people post here. An expensive logo costs a few million dollars to design - at most. The 2012 Olympics logo, for example, was about $700,000.

Creating a new logo isn't all that expensive. The cost starts to escalate when you have to change signs, repaint trucks, throw out mountains of old literature, buy new literature, redo all your advertising, redo your packaging, etc. Even then, it's not billions of dollars.

And Microsoft's new logo? Probably cost $2.89 to develop. $1.99 to buy bananas for the monkey who did the work and two $0.45 stamps to send out a press release.
  • Reply 64 of 171
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeberhar View Post

When the general manager of brand strategy for a company that frankly can't decide on a product name to save its life (and I wish that was an exaggeration) and can't figure out why "Windows Phone Series 7" doesn't just roll off the tongue is given front page space you know its a slow news day.

While looking for an example of the old logo, I found this doozy of a page:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2118008  They have a product called Microsoft Money Plus Sunset?

With helpful information like this:

Money Plus Sunset is available in two versions:

• Money Plus Deluxe Sunset – designed to replace Essentials, Deluxe and Premium

• Money Plus Home & Business Sunset – designed to replace Home & Business

• Reply 65 of 171

I do prefer the old one… it moves, with the notched "O" before the "S" creating connectivity between the Micro and Soft concepts...

The new one, especially as used on their site WITHOUT the 4-square icon, is … lost and nondescript.

compared:

These were both on a single page on their website… I guess they haven't fully updated their site yet.

Interesting sidenote… from a design perspective, it does appear to me that MS is AGAIN taking cues from Apple… simplifying their logo to nothing more than basic typography using a "swiss modern" font, and the grey color… the color is definitely moving a bit more into Apple territory...

It doesn't suck, but it removes much of the "identity" that the previous logo carries. Maybe that's on purpose... 

• Reply 66 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

It's Windows 8: Pixelated Edition.  A throwback for all the retro gamers out there.

Does the 8 stand for 8-bit? hehehe

• Reply 67 of 171

Hey now that's unfair. Look at that they have a shiny new logo

New, yes, but shiny? It's banal.
    A good logo should be iconic even if rendered in black & white without the brand name. This "four squares" logo doesn't remind me of Microsoft if rendered as four black squares.
  • Reply 68 of 171
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

I mostly agree. The new MS logo is actually simple, clean, elegant. I like it (though I generally hate MS). This actually may show some new sense of taste and style emerging at MS.

I also agree that Apple's excessive use of skeuomorphic design in their UIs. It has been gaudy and tiresome. It's kind of amazing to me that Apple who has stripped away the clutter and excess in their hardware, packaging and even stores still hasn't quite figured out where to go in this modern time...at least not consistently. Some stuff they've done well, others seems so childishly implemented that you wonder if it is the same company.

While I don't know if MS has it all figured out with Metro, I like how they're thinking about the problem.

It's been estimated that 7.42% of the success of the iPad has been directly linked to the eye-catching use of "skeuomorphic" elements in some of the core pre-installed apps, so dial down the hate, man.

Also, 98.53% of the use of the word "skeuomorphic" in the past 2.5 years worldwide has been on tech-blogs and fan sites, with the majority of instances on site categorized as "anti-Apple" or "pro-Androind."  Use of the term has been trending down over this time period, however,

• Reply 69 of 171
    No. I noticed it as well.

Surprised how few designers are here.

The logo is bland and truly obvious as a derivative of what Microsoft had in the past. In fact, it certainly wouldn't surprise me if this design wasn't first presented some 10-15 years ago, and just pulled out of the drawer somewhere and reworked.

As for the word mark "Microsoft".... just hideous! They should have stayed with their Helvetica Neue inspired cut if they couldn't think of something better.

Last, as a C-ID... Microsoft doesn't get it, because they are still clinging to disparate logos and differing product word marks (fonts). SJ said it in that old video: Microsoft just plain doesn't get what fonts and beautiful type(setting) is all about.

Actually... we should be pinning the blame on the designers and their CID agency. Although even that's hard to say, because with everything relating to graphics and design these days, with everyone having their own opinion, taste and request "for just one quick little change" (grrrrrrrr!)... this is what you invariably land at: an emotionless design to any and everyone.

Can't hate it..can't like it...it's just "there".
  • Reply 70 of 171
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member

Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

It's been estimated that 7.42% of the success of the iPad has been directly linked to the eye-catching use of "skeuomorphic" elements in some of the core pre-installed apps...

Really? Fascinating. You have link to back up this claim or have you made shit up?

Quote:

...so dial down the hate, man.

Why? I can hate what I want. I can voice my opinion that some of what Apple is doing in its UI is just fugly.

Quote:

Also, 98.53% of the use of the word "skeuomorphic" in the past 2.5 years worldwide has been on tech-blogs and fan sites, with the majority of instances on site categorized as "anti-Apple" or "pro-Androind."  Use of the term has been trending down over this time period, however,

And this is relevant how? Merely to show you making up another statistic?

• Reply 71 of 171
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

they still have over 90% of the market in computing and Apple still have 5%..so what Apple has done? nothing just reach to more computer illiterates to buy their stupid computers

That 5% is teaching the 90% how it's done. Apple's "stupid" computers are the envy of users and the industry (sans Windows nerds, but do they really count?) Highest in consumer satisfaction by often very wide margins year after year. While everyone else relies on Universal Licensing and market flooding. A great way to spread crap. 

Apple's changed the face of consumer tech several times over in the last 10 years. MS gave consumers another operating system (including a lemon and then a warmed-over lemon), a few Office rehashes, and another game console. 

THAT with *all* that R&D. No taste. No class. And as a result, they're now in Apple's rearview. In fact, MS is OBSESSED with Apple:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/07/10/steve_ballmer_says_microsoft_plans_to_compete_with_apple_in_every_market.html

LOL, such losers. 

And with a fraction of Microsoft's R&D (can you even call it that? Where's the beef?), Apple's turned the tech world upside down and has been directing the pace of change for the last few years. In fact, Apple's been the only one to really do anything noteworthy in consumer tech in recent memory. Because Apple actually gives a damn about what they put their logo on. And the divide between a Premium Apple experience and "the rest" is getting wider and wider every year. 

And you know what, it truly warms my heart to know that it drives you and other computer-weenies batshit insane. And now everyone can be "computer literate" the Apple Way. Everyone is empowered.

May Ballmer *continue* to lead Microsoft for many years to come. 

• Reply 72 of 171

I really like that font. I want to take it out behind the Arbys and get it pregnant.

• Reply 73 of 171
    I like the logo but I think there is fault in tying one's corporate identity to it's products' identities and again to the products' interfaces.

The interfaces will certainly evolve. The products will, too, and with success they will proliferate, introducing newer interfaces, still.

And then what will your company's branding tie into?
  • Reply 74 of 171
    rpsxrpsx Posts: 46member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Surprised how few designers are here.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

are you really a designer? because, you, like everyone else here, don't seem to understand the context of the brandmark. 

as previously mentioned, though without a gaudy useless comparison to myriad (no graphic designer would even imagine doing this) - this is simply "Microsoft" written with their brand font Sagoe. if you are a designer, you gotta get what they are doing. 

unlike 1950s design, where the logo/logotype was the brand, they actually are living in the current century. they chose to let the OS experience define the brand. unlike apple, where their print/tv material have nothing to do with the OS elements, microsoft have decided to be consistent everywhere. 

everyone, including you said designer, seem to be judging the logo presented here totally out of context. only in this article will you likely every see just the microsoft logo by itself. any consumer will be seeing it sitting comfortable amongst the whole world of the microsoft experience - UI, print, tv - all of it. 

also, side note - my guess is this was all done in house. probably no external agency was involved, or given their large budgets, maybe for field research and minor stuff. 

• Reply 75 of 171
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

are you really a designer? because, you, like everyone else here, don't seem to understand the context of the brandmark. 

as previously mentioned, though without a gaudy useless comparison to myriad (no graphic designer would even imagine doing this) - this is simply "Microsoft" written with their brand font Saboe.

Segoe. 

• Reply 76 of 171

Pie, anyone?

(OK, UK folk are gonna get that one).

• Reply 77 of 171
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    We're going to do great because we have a new logo! Trust me! Look how innovative it is! Buy our products because we have a new logo!
  • Reply 78 of 171
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Wow.  That's a pretty bland icon.  I can see a new ad campaign on the horizon:

"Microsoft.  Now 50% more boring."

• Reply 79 of 171

Originally Posted by malax View Post

What?  Are you making a subtle joke?  The article says the font is calle Segoe.

That's what I mean. It's barely different enough to call it something else.

it's actually called SAGOE, microsoft owns it, and it is not myriad at all. 

You're saying exactly what I'm saying.

…though without a gaudy useless comparison to myriad (no graphic designer would even imagine doing this)…

No one on Earth has ever compared Helvetica and Arial. 

• Reply 80 of 171
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Like everything companies do, they come up with lame reasons to make changes and try to make it sound important, but in reality it like trying to explain why woman skirt lengths go up and down from year to year.