Microsoft's new logo emphasizes Windows, Metro

Comments

• Reply 101 of 171
    philipmphilipm Posts: 240member

If Microsoft likes squares, how about arranging them into a cube? That's slightly more of a catch-up on Steve:

• Reply 102 of 171
    "The symbol is important in a world of digital motion," Hansen explained. "The symbol's squares of color are intended to express the company's diverse portfolio of products."

I can think of a few other symbols which better represent Microsoft's product portfolio.
  • Reply 103 of 171
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

I can think of a few other symbols which better represent Microsoft's product portfolio.

????????????????????

• Reply 104 of 171
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member

Quote:

Originally Posted by philipm View Post

If Microsoft likes squares, how about arranging them into a cube? That's slightly more of a catch-up on Steve:

And you sir, should be flogged for soiling Paul Rand's beautifully elegant creation.

• Reply 105 of 171
    euphonious wrote: »
    Well, for a start, Windows 7 has been released - an acclaimed and highly successful operating system whose sales dwarf those of OS X.

Call that 'nothing' if you want to.

Great, the Windows Apologists have arrived. Sorry buddy, you're in the wrong place for crowing about Microsoft products.
  • Reply 106 of 171

Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

Great, the Windows Apologists have arrived. Sorry buddy, you're in the wrong place for crowing about Microsoft products.

We let people spew outright lies about Android products, may as well let the Microsoft crowd do the same. image

• Reply 107 of 171
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    mj1970 wrote: »
    Fact is though, on some things, they've used this approach to, in my experience, the detriment of usability. iCal is a prime example. Apple might have gone a different route (forward) here that would have created true innovation using the medium at their disposal (software interfaces) to create an even more effective calendar app. But instead they went backwards!

Please explain how the skeuomorphic design of iCal interferes with usability. I can understand how you might not like it. I can understand how someone might think that it detracts from the appearance. But how does the fake leather detract from usability?

Some of the complaints around here are just too silly for words.
  • Reply 108 of 171

I like the new logo, font and choice of colors.  I think it is very fitting and clean.  Call it 'square' if you want it has a very clean look to it which is just fine by me.  I think it was about time MS started updating themselves.  

• Reply 109 of 171
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Please explain how the skeuomorphic design of iCal interferes with usability.

The issue is that their insistence on applying the desk calendar metaphor appears to have hemmed them in and prevented them from applying true, productive innovation to the calendar application and calender content that would be possible if they simply avoided that silliness.

Quote:

But how does the fake leather detract from usability?

It isn't just about the fake leather. You're starting to show that perhaps you don't really know what's meant by "skeuomorphic design".

Quote:

Some of the complaints around here are just too silly for words.

Sometimes the Apple fanboi-ism around here is just too defensive.

• Reply 110 of 171
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Microsoft

Well, that nails it down!  Now the Surface is sure to be perfect!!!

(oops, should have caught and corrected "Slate" way quicker...well, I knew what I meant anyway!)
  • Reply 111 of 171
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member

New lego - same old Microsoft.  

• Reply 112 of 171

Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

New lego - same old Microsoft.  

L'eggo my logo!

• Reply 113 of 171
    jay1985 wrote: »
    looks  like I am the only one who thinks the new logo is nicer, I never really liked the old one with the wavy fluttering flag type logo.... but then i've never even liked msft.

probably not, but this is Appleinsider...if it aint Apple you're not allowed to like it...unless it has no chance against Apple then it can be cool...
  • Reply 114 of 171

Wow, I can see the creative talents up in Redmond have really been burning the midnight oil on this....Genius...

Although with Windows 8, all Metro apps run full screen no matter what maybe it should just be one big square?

• Reply 115 of 171
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member

Actually, I really like the logo. It's simple. And scales very well from 16x16 pixels (think fav icons) to inifinite size of pixels. 

Kudos to MS. 

• Reply 116 of 171
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    rpsx wrote: »
    are you really a designer? because, you, like everyone else here, don't seem to understand the context of the brandmark. 

*clearing of throat" --- as a matter of fact, yes I am. For over 30 years now. In that time working with an assortment of leading ad agencies, conglomerates, and printers in the world, creating packaging for food and luxury brands.

as previously mentioned, though without a gaudy useless comparison to myriad (no graphic designer would even imagine doing this) - this is simply "Microsoft" written with their brand font Sagoe. if you are a designer, you gotta get what they are doing. 

Yes, I get what they are "trying to do". No. I don't think it's working now... or will in the future.

unlike 1950s design, where the logo/logotype was the brand, they actually are living in the current century. they chose to let the OS experience define the brand. unlike apple, where their print/tv material have nothing to do with the OS elements, microsoft have decided to be consistent everywhere. 

I would seriously reconsider your statement, whether it's wise or not for MS to define everything with an OS experience.... that at the moment seems to be rather disliked. Dangerous stuff!

Whereas Apple can produce an ad campaign any way they choose to... and even pull it as they recently did... but the brand and that iconic Apple logo... didn't suffer a smidgen. Not in the least.

It's called having a logo that eclipses trends, is flexible, and is timeless. The newest retro-rage fonts, such as that used by Pinterest... sit's perfectly well next to the Apple logo. Not so much next to either the logo or the word mark from Microsoft. Just as an example.

everyone, including you said designer, seem to be judging the logo presented here totally out of context. only in this article will you likely every see just the microsoft logo by itself. any consumer will be seeing it sitting comfortable amongst the whole world of the microsoft experience - UI, print, tv - all of it. 

Yeah. And that's exactly why I consider the design shortsighted. You really MUST put it into it's comfortable surroundings, BEFORE you know who it is, and what it is supposed to be representing. Just 4-squares is NEVER going to be as iconic and easily recognizable as the Apple logo. Ever.

Also, what happens when the "squares" become stale? When the "Microsoft" wordmark doesn't fit, or is not wanted? For instance an embossed "4-square logo" in glass. What if those 4 squares visually translate into a "Suisse" product... without also going to the trouble and expense of adding "Microsoft".

also, side note - my guess is this was all done in house. probably no external agency was involved, or given their large budgets, maybe for field research and minor stuff. 

Yes... I think so as well. Over 15 years ago!

Segoe is a close descendant** of Frutiger, a font I've used maybe once in my career, and certainly only because I had to at the request of a client. Due to the flaring of the curves, ascenders, etc... it appears to me like having "sharp" claws... or knives. Not nearly as "clean" and "pure" as Helvetica or most of the Humanist category of fonts.

On the other hand, it is both fitting for our violent times and entertainment choices (trendy!)... as well as rather metaphoric for Microsoft, with their hopes and dreams to "claw their way back to the top".

** It appears that Segoe has been contested as "an original" font.

From Wikipedia:
    In 2004, Microsoft registered certain Segoe and Segoe Italic fonts (designed by Steve Matteson during his employment at Agfa Monotype) as original font designs with the European Union trademark and design office. The German font foundry Linotype protested, citing Segoe UI's similarity to its licensed Frutiger family of typefaces. In its submission to the EU, Microsoft claimed that Linotype had failed to properly prove that it had been selling Frutiger and Frutiger Next prior to 2004.

I don't know what they're teaching you in school (I'm assuming you've went to design school)... but either you skipped too many classes, or it's as bad as some of us ol' Xacto/Rapidograph guys think it's become. Because I hate to break the news to ya, but the 50's and 60's were... and still are... easily the most influential decades of image branding, creative design and advertising EVER.
  • Reply 117 of 171
    I always used to like the old logo. Something about one of the worlds largest companies just having there name in italics as a logo was kinda cool.

But I like this one to. It's still simple and is essentially a square version of the windows flag and I tend to find there's something about things being really really really simple that makes them nice.
  • Reply 118 of 171
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpsx View Post

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    i think it's nice. simple and modern. honestly, i think apple has lost it's way in terms of graphic design. paul rand would not impressed with what the OS he originally branded has become. 

that steve jobs clip is old. the cut of helvetica that iOS/macs use is crap. the built in kerning between the 1 and any other number is so off, and it's never been improved. i saw an early microsoft design presentation where they were zooming in text in windows phone 7 about 2000% to show micro-fine perfect kerning for all letters. that's the detail jobs was talking about, that apple UI designers no longer get. 

sorry, this skewmorphic craptasticism has got to stop, apple. i never in 20 years thought i would say that microsoft could out-design apple, but they seem to be moving in that direction. hardware? no. but, at least for software graphic design, they are far more on the right track that faux wood or leather-wrapped apple. gross. 

The alleged "modernity" of their revised logo will look even more stale and unexciting in a year or two. It's boring and it's now closely tied to Windows. That doesn't make sense. Did Apple change their logo to jam a giant X on top of the apple?... or a picture of a mountain lion? As usual, Microsoft has the dumbest people in charge making the decisions on their corporate image.

• Reply 119 of 171
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

I find many of the criticisms of MS in the logo issue interesting and deeply ironic given how closely it draws from the bauhaus design ethos...as Apple has for decades both directly and indirectly.

But that's the thing; Microsoft is following Apple's design cues once again, instead of finding their own identity.

For everyone chiming in about consistency: It would be more consistent to use Zune/Metro style typography. Giant thin lowercase type, cutting off the right side.

"microsc"

• Reply 120 of 171
    Is it just me or is this a creepy combination of music that sounds like the Mac OS X welcome video and graphics with floating squares flying around like the Apple TV startup videos? Maybe I'm just looking for similarity... I like the logos better than the old ones, but that isn't saying much.