Apple seeds first OS X 10.8.2 beta with Facebook integration

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
On the heels of the public release of OS X 10.8.1, Apple has provided select developers with a beta release of the next update to Mountain Lion, OS X 10.8.2.

Apple first began soliciting developers on Wednesday, inviting them to be among the first participate in the beta for OS X 10.8.2. Those who accepted the invitation began gaining access to the pre-release beta on Thursday.

The first build of OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 is known as Build 12C31a, those familiar with the software indicated. The combo update is available as a 642-megabyte download direct from Apple's developer website.

Apple has reportedly asked developers to focus their testing on Facebook integration with the beta build of OS X 10.8.2. System-wide Facebook integration is set to publicly launch with a software update to Mountain Lion later this year.

People familiar with the pre-release software also indicated that Apple has asked them to concentrate on Messages, Game Center, Safari and Reminders when testing OS X 10.8.2. The first beta is said to currently have no known issues.

Mountain Lion

Earlier Thursday, Apple publicly released OS X 10.8.1 for Mountain Lion, less than a month after the operating system update first went on sale via the Mac App Store. That software update provides fixes for iMessage, Migration Assistant, and audio when connected to Thunderbolt displays.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

"Select Developers" being code for "Anyone with an internet connection."

• Reply 2 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

"Select Developers" being code for "Anyone with an internet connection."

Yep.

• Reply 3 of 26

how can i become part of the appleseed program?

• Reply 4 of 26
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by logic368 View Post

how can i become part of the appleseed program?

https://appleseed.apple.com

• Reply 5 of 26

yeah, but how do i get invited?

• Reply 6 of 26

yeah, but how do i get invited?

Reading the link would be a pretty good start.

• Reply 7 of 26

it says it's not looking for new people...

• Reply 8 of 26

it says it's not looking for new people...

Well, there you go. You can sign up and drop yourself in the pool, and when they are looking again, there you'll be.

• Reply 9 of 26

Damn... someone up there made it sound like anyone with an internet connection could just download it... Ahhh, how I pine for the wonders of facebook integration...

• Reply 10 of 26

Damn... someone up there made it sound like anyone with an internet connection could just download it... Ahhh, how I pine for the wonders of facebook integration...

Pay the hundred and get it a few weeks (yes, just weeks) early. Or wait until the 21st (probably the 17th, actually) with everyone else.

• Reply 11 of 26
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Quote:

Google "imzdl".

Seriously, not complicated. Just be aware you still won't have access to the developer forums for help in case things get borked by this beta. That's the real reason we pay a hundred bucks a year. God knows it's not for beta software exclusivity.

• Reply 12 of 26
    yosh01yosh01 Posts: 16member

What's with all the Facebook integration?  I avoid anything that asks for my Facebook account info because I don't want Facebook compiling information about me.  I'm always surprised and alarmed when I visit a web site and see my facebook profile picture.  It's scary.  Apple's getting into bed with Twitter and Facebook seems adolescent to me and the one thing that could send me back to the more "adult" oriented Windows.

• Reply 13 of 26
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    yosh01 wrote: »
    What's with all the Facebook integration?  I avoid anything that asks for my Facebook account info because I don't want Facebook compiling information about me.  I'm always surprised and alarmed when I visit a web site and see my facebook profile picture.  It's scary.  Apple's getting into bed with Twitter and Facebook seems adolescent to me and the one thing that could send me back to the more "adult" oriented Windows.

What's wrong with you? Get with the program and join the C.I.A.'s most successful operation ever!

/s
  • Reply 14 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yosh01 View Post

Huh?  It's an optional integration.  You don't have to login if you don't want to.  Apple's not forcing you to do anything.

• Reply 15 of 26

Originally Posted by daving313 View Post

It's an optional integration.  You don't have to login if you don't want to.

But you do see it.

• Reply 16 of 26
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yosh01 View Post

Apple's getting into bed with Twitter and Facebook seems adolescent to me and the one thing that could send me back to the more "adult" oriented Windows.

Yes. Windows is clearly aimed at "adults".

• Reply 17 of 26

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Google "imzdl".

Seriously, not complicated. Just be aware you still won't have access to the developer forums for help in case things get borked by this beta. That's the real reason we pay a hundred bucks a year. God knows it's not for beta software exclusivity.

Time to update the block list. I don't tolerate pirates.

• Reply 18 of 26

Originally Posted by chabig View Post

Yes. Windows is clearly aimed at "adults".

In the release version of 8, has it been said that we can customize tiles? I'm sick of an empty tile with a tiny proper Safari logo in the bottom left.

I dunno, I figure that if we're forced to use something so mind-numbingly ugly, it may as well be consistently mind-numbingly ugly… 

• Reply 19 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But you do see it.

See what?  It's just another account you can add in a list?  Are you against Apple for having a GMail logo? AOL logo? for when you go to add an account.   How often are you in your system preferences adding and removing accounts?

• Reply 20 of 26
    socratessocrates Posts: 261member
    yosh01 wrote: »

Oh come off it! It's a great feature for anyone who uses Facebook or Twitter, which at this point is nearly everyone on the planet.

It doesn't send your private info to Facebook, it doesn't spy on you or post stuff to Facebook without your permission. It does exactly three things:

1) save you having to re-type your Facebook credentials into every app that integrates with Facebook (but it still asks your permission).

2) saves you from having to go to Safari, log into Facebook and copy and paste something into a web form if you want to share it on Facebook, and instead lets you send it directly from whatever app you got it from.

3) Allows you to sync your contact details from Facebook with your local address book so you don't have to manually keep track of friends changing emails, phone numbers, home addresses, etc.

And if that all sounds awful and creepy for some reason then good news: If you don't want to do any of those things, they won't happen.