Rumor: Production hiccups may limit launch supply of Apple's new iPhone

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

I know I do. Just as I know I don't want a longer computer monitor I don't want a longer phone unless it's wider as well.  I have relatively short fingers and feel the current iPhone is on the smallish side.  It was a great screen size in 2005, but not anymore.

Bullshit!

In 2007 and 2008 people were whining that the iPhone screen was "too big" and couldn't be used one handed.

e.g. from http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_3g-reviews-2424p3.php

blq

still too big!

stil ancient camera - [W]hat is [T]hat [F]or?

still no fm radio

and this useless OS....

compared devices like:

- SE x1 Xperia

- samsung i900

- HTC touch diamond

- Toshiba g810

- eten x900

... iPhone is just a toy for silly boys. and for Apple SECT's maniacs.

• 2008-06-10

• Reply 42 of 56
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

LOL...no, but my perception of what's a good size for a screen did.  I was willing to accept it in 2005 when it was among the biggest screens available but that's hasn't been the case for the past few years.  While iOS is still the best OS for a smartphone, they've been passed up in other areas.

There was no iPhone in 2005, this was one of the hottest selling "smartphones", note the "giant" 2.1" screen.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n70-1153.php

btw, according to sales figures released by Samsung in their ongoing court case, the largest selling single Galaxy model in the US*, the Prevail, has a 3.2" screen.

*(Discounting individual variations on the S 2).

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_prevail-3916.php

To be honest, ever since the first iPhone was released the Internet has been full of people constantly whining about things it doesn't have, screen size is only the latest boring instalment in a litany of complaints, you achieve nothing by constantly harping on about crap like this.

• Reply 43 of 56
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Actually, it's quite possible. A large percentage of commenters at Apple tech media sites like AppleInsider, MacRumors, etc. are quite young (high school or college age) and thus their fingers probably have grown since 2005.

Never mind that hands are one of the few body parts that continue to grow until death. But still, that's beside the point. image

• Reply 44 of 56
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Even if it true the worst that will happen will be a country or two will be dropped from the list for the initial launch. Wasn't the US the only co untrue on launch for the iPhone 4?

But is 15 million really a low number for les than(?) 10 days of sales? My Home Button is wearing out and I see no viable alternative expect for another iPhone so I'll be getting the 6th gen the day it hits my country.

ddawson100 wrote: »
    Today I learned that "<strong style="font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:14px;line-height:21px;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);">out of the Far East</strong>
    " means Digitimes. I've just learned to laugh when I read that phrase here at AI.

Because of DigiTmes I know associate the phrase "out of the Far East" with "out of left field."
  • Reply 45 of 56
    8002580025 Posts: 175member

Article title says rumor.

Article body text says report.

Can't be both. If it's a rumor why even report it?

And if it's a report, why mislable it as a rumor?

Sounds like unethical and substandard reporting.

• Reply 46 of 56

Originally Posted by 80025 View Post

If it's a rumor why even report it?

Because this is a RUMOR WEBSITE.

And if it's a report, why mislable it as a rumor?

Why can it not be both?

• Reply 47 of 56
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They'll have a 5.7" "phone" out in Q1 2013 to combat the next iPhone, just you watch.

The note still sold several million. It's a larger phone than I'd purchase, yet sometimes the views on here are quite myopic when it comes to what is functional.

Quote:

Apple made an iPhone in 2005?

Or, a better question, ANY cell phone had a 3.5" screen in 2005?

I've actually gone over this before. If you recall correctly going back further the early PDA/Phone combinations such as those from Handspring (absorbed by Palm) used monochromatic screens. It wasn't until color lcd displays of reasonable quality dropped in price and increased in overall yield that you started to see a gradual increase in display size. What is interesting is that Apple is able to turn certain things that were extremely expensive or somewhat unknown into mass market features. I'd suggest the quibbling over size is somewhat overblown. If you're just going by dollars relative to underlying hardware specs, Apple is unlikely to hold onto those people. I don't necessarily interpret things in quite such a dissected sense. Many people who do misinterpret what components are used anyway. I've seen incorrect cpus and things cited on macs all the time, because there are people who assume if it looks close enough, it must be correct.

• Reply 48 of 56

3 iterations? They all look the same

• Reply 49 of 56

Originally Posted by jamz82277 View Post

3 iterations? They all look the same

First, it'll really help if you actually quote the posts to which you're replying.

Second, cut it out. Don't try to push that crap.

• Reply 50 of 56
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member

Just look at the source on this article  "Digitimes"  who have been wrong so many times I have lost track. Why does anyone quote this rag anymore?

• Reply 51 of 56
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    oneaburns wrote: »
    I know I do. Just as I know I don't want a longer computer monitor I don't want a longer phone unless it's wider as well.  I have relatively short fingers and feel the current iPhone is on the smallish side.  It was a great screen size in 2005, but not anymore.

Sure, a little wider might not be a big deal but does affect the usability and there is a limit that the thumb sweep can accomplish. A taller phone is more feasible for the thumb sweep as you get about double the range when one handed. You also aren't likely to stick a jewel case wide item in your front pocket but something a little longer isn't a big deal since you put it in length-wise.

On top of that, there is the chin and forehead of the iPhone which are being shrunk to accommodate this new display. The side bezel also looks to be slightly smaller but there is a lot more room with the top and bottom than the sides to contend with. Now the device's overall length is a little longer, but not at the same scale as the display height increases. If they made it wider they might actually have to make the bezel bigger, but they certainly couldn't have feasibly made it smaller than they are doing for 2012 for the structural support they want.

These rumoured leaks are almost exactly what I've been asking for for years. My only caveat is that I didn't want the casing to increase in size at all. That said, my wish did allow for some increase in size so long as it didn't impact the usability in any major way. You have to wonder if Apple is so threatened by large Android devices, as some say, why not make the display larger. No one has access to the great displays Apple has shipped on the iPhone, iPad and Macs. They are so far ahead that if they thought the best device was making some ginormous* display they would have done it. No one comes close to besting Apple in this area.

* I think that's the first time I've ever used that word.
  • Reply 52 of 56

Quote:

Of course what we've seen is what we're getting. Don't delude yourself otherwise. Do you REALLY think you want a wider phone?

You want a wider iPhone? Well, you're holding it wrong.

• Reply 53 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

The (Samsung) (N)ote still sold several million. It's a larger phone than I'd purchase, yet sometimes the views on here are quite myopic when it comes to what is functional.

I've actually gone over this before. If you recall correctly going back further the early PDA/Phone combinations such as those from Handspring (absorbed by Palm) used monochromatic screens. It wasn't until color lcd displays of reasonable quality dropped in price and increased in overall yield that you started to see a gradual increase in display size. What is interesting is that Apple is able to turn certain things that were extremely expensive or somewhat unknown into mass market features. I'd suggest the quibbling over size is somewhat overblown. If you're just going by dollars relative to underlying hardware specs, Apple is unlikely to hold onto those people. I don't necessarily interpret things in quite such a dissected sense. Many people who do misinterpret what components are used anyway. I've seen incorrect cpus and things cited on macs all the time, because there are people who assume if it looks close enough, it must be correct.

Samsung is sure promoting larger screens, and even the stylus, and not doing badly in sales. I suspect there is, and will continue to be a market for several form factors of phones and tablets. If Apple has done their testing and have determined where the sweet spots are at, then the sales at those places will rule the market. 

While my fading vision wants larger text, I don't want a larger iPhone when larger text can be had through a superior UI design. Apple can remain the "big dog" without trying to make every kind and size of iDevice.

• Reply 54 of 56

Quote:

I've put friends android phones in my pocket and I still can't feel it.  Perhaps you wear tighter jeans than I do ;)

We also wear our jeans up where our waists are. 

What's the right phone for one person is not necessarily the right phone for another. Perfect, for me, is a balance of various specifications: size, weight, quality of UI, reception quality, customer service, app selection, etc. Some specifications negatively affect others. I think Apple gives the best balance.

• Reply 55 of 56
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    mechanic wrote: »
    Just look at the source on this article  "Digitimes"  who have been wrong so many times I have lost track. Why does anyone quote this rag anymore?

Hint: With Digitimes, it's easier to keep track of the number of times they're right. I'll let you know when we reach 'one'.
  • Reply 56 of 56
    strat09strat09 Posts: 158member
    Hahaha. "Sometimes Reliable" I love this website... Right on Apple Insider. Right on.