Apple may launch next-gen iPhone, 'iPad mini' at two separate media events

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In a somewhat ambiguous post on his blog, the well-connected Apple journalist Jim Dalrymple on Thursday hinted that Apple may be preparing to debut a next-gen iPhone and 'iPad mini' at two separate media events.

The post was in response to a theory asserted by Daring Fireball's John Gruber, who posited that it would make more sense for Apple to stagger the release of the two rumored devices. Dalrymple responded, "Oh that Gruber is a smart fellow."

From Gruber's post titled "Sharing the Stage":
I'm thinking it makes more sense for Apple to hold two events. First, an iPhone event, focused solely on the new iPhone and iOS 6. Then, the iPhone ships nine days later, and there's another wave of iPhone-focused attention as the reviews come out. Then, in the first or second week of October, Apple holds its traditional
'music event', exactly along the lines of the events at which they?ve been debuting new iPods for the last decade.
Apple is widely expected to debut the sixth-generation iPhone at a special event on Sept. 12, at which time pre-orders are said to begin. Further rumors point to a U.S. rollout starting Sept. 21. Not much is known of the smaller iPad's launch date as conflicting reports have pegged the device the debut at either the same iPhone event or at a later date.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Seems exactly like something Apple wouldn't do. 

These people sure are desperate for an iPad mini to be made so they don't sound like complete idiots, aren't they?

I would have thought the iPhone nano would have made them think long and hard about weird ideas like that long ago.

• Reply 2 of 64
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    Perhaps a perfect setup for a "one more thing" moment.
  • Reply 3 of 64

Ha !!

This adds fuel to my prediction that we will not see an iPad Mini.

The rumors will start to back-track and break down. This "blog" by Dalrymple is the beginning.

The Next Generation iPod Touch!!!    .....Yes

Or

iTouch

an iPad Mini,

Never

...Next

• Reply 4 of 64
    What IF, the "iPad Mini" isn't what it is perceived to be? What IF it's actually a remote for the mythological Apple HDTV?
  • Reply 5 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Seems exactly like something Apple wouldn't do. 

These people sure are desperate for an iPad mini to be made so they don't sound like complete idiots, aren't they?

I would have thought the iPhone nano would have made them think long and hard about weird ideas like that long ago.

So, when Apple announces the iPad mini (Air), will you eat your hat?

• Reply 6 of 64
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

Ha !!

This adds fuel to my prediction that we will not see an iPad Mini.

The rumors will start to back-track and break down. This "blog" by Dalrymple is the beginning.

The Next Generation iPod Touch!!!    .....Yes

an iPad Mini,

Never

...Next

So you are interested in an unremarkable update to one of Apple's least popular product lines, but steadfastly against a new product being added to their most popular product line?  And if you aren't interested in them in the first place, what do you care if there is an iPad mini or not?

Sounds like pure selfishness to me.  

• Reply 7 of 64

Would they then need a third event to roll out the new iMac and Mac Mini computers? Seems like a lot of events in a rather short period of time. The whole point of staggering events is to allow everyone to focus on the new devices before announcing another batch of products. I think that the iPad Mini is similar enough to the iPhone to talk about them at one event. I am not sure if there even will be an iPod touch if the iPad Mini costs about the same price. That just leaves the Nano. Three iOS devices at one event seems fine to me. Then they could do a small event in October for the desktop computer refresh.

• Reply 8 of 64

Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Did I say anything about "knowing" they're not making one? I said it's a horrible idea. I implied that I don't like the idea. But am I completely certain they won't make one? Not anymore. 

I don't recall any hat eating or anything remotely close to admittance of being in the wrong from the "Apple is GOING to make a smaller iPhone" crowd, so I don't imagine I'll have anything to say if they Cue things up and make a smaller iPad.

Originally Posted by Abobrek View Post

What IF, the "iPad Mini" isn't what it is perceived to be? What IF it's actually a remote for the mythological Apple HDTV?

I guess that makes sense, two terrible ideas together as one even worse, more expensive idea.

Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

Then they could do a small event in October for the desktop computer refresh.

Unless there's a major case redesign, the computers don't need any sort of event.

• Reply 9 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Gosh I hope this "iPad Air" crap doesn't catch on.  What a stupid, stupid name.  

Just because Gruber is well-connected socially and has a reasonably good IQ doesn't make every word that falls out of his mouth gold.  It's not like he's ever designed and marketed anything himself.  

• Reply 10 of 64
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Apple is known for its special event's and the announcement of new devices during those events.  But one thing Apple is now know for and thats holding two separate events so close together.  No I don't see that.

• Reply 11 of 64
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Quote:

Did I say anything about "knowing" they're not making one? I said it's a horrible idea. I implied that I don't like the idea. But am I completely certain they won't make one? Not anymore. 

I don't recall any hat eating or anything remotely close to admittance of being in the wrong from the "Apple is GOING to make a smaller iPhone" crowd, so I don't imagine I'll have anything to say if they Cue things up and make a smaller iPad.

I guess that makes sense, two terrible ideas together as one even worse, more expensive idea.

Unless there's a major case redesign, the computers don't need any sort of event.

Thats right my tallest friend you tell em!

• Reply 12 of 64

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Just because Gruber is well-connected socially and has a reasonably good IQ doesn't make every word that falls out of his mouth gold.  It's not like he's ever designed and marketed anything himself.  

It's sort of like how Woz is still considered to have a modern opinion…

• Reply 13 of 64
    If Apple were going to release a smaller ipad then it would probably be better to gain maximum and continued media hype by releasing iphone and ipod touch first, leave it about a month then announce an ipad mini and the supposed slight refresh of the ipad maxi.

October the 12th ish would mean its a couple of weeks before the Microsoft tablet which would hopefully be lost in the meda frenzy over the mini.

How to generate maximum buzz with two carefully planned events and stuff your competitor up nicely in one easy marketing lesson.
  • Reply 14 of 64
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    abobrek wrote: »

Sure people will love a $200 remote for a $2000 HDTV.
  • Reply 15 of 64

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Sure people will love a $200 remote for a $2000 HDTV.

Wow, we're actually agreeing on something? image

• Reply 16 of 64

Just from a logistics standpoint two events make sense.  I remember reading that during the most recent iPad launch, Apple bought up a good portion of the FedEx and UPS flights from China to facilitate distribution.  Apple has done events for devices much less significant than a smaller iPad (iPod Hi-Fi anyone?).

Additionally, on a strategic basis, September could be the month of the iPhone, then they suck the oxygen out of the launch of the Surface RT and Windows 8 with the launch of a smaller iPad.  Not to mention the other issues they avoid such as overcrowding at the Apple stores, etc by launching 2 products at once, and get double the press coverage to boot.

• Reply 17 of 64
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

From the iFixedIt dep't:  "Oh those folks at Apple are smart fellows."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

So you are interested in an unremarkable update to one of Apple's least popular product lines, but steadfastly against a new product being added to their most popular product line?  And if you aren't interested in them in the first place, what do you care if there is an iPad mini or not?

Not to mention their only line that's DECLINING in sales.....  ...I'm jus' sayin....  ...but also neglected for refreshes for a good long while, so do they plan to reinvigorate it (with, say new cam and especially gaming features, and/or of course new form and screen size factors) or let it wither away to a niche....??

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

Would they then need a third event to roll out the new iMac and Mac Mini computers? Seems like a lot of events in a rather short period of time. The whole point of staggering events is to allow everyone to focus on the new devices before announcing another batch of products. I think that the iPad Mini is similar enough to the iPhone to talk about them at one event. I am not sure if there even will be an iPod touch if the iPad Mini costs about the same price. That just leaves the Nano. Three iOS devices at one event seems fine to me. Then they could do a small event in October for the desktop computer refresh.

Quote:

What TS said, basically.  Or a small event at most as they refresh the rest of the as yet unrefreshed lines (as Tim said they would do pretty much across the board in 2012).

Quote:

It's sort of like how Woz is still considered to have a modern opinion…

You must be kidding.  Gruber's as connected as any pundit around.

Woz is a nice guy and a fun relic of the roots of the PC age....

• Reply 18 of 64
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Wow, we're actually agreeing on something? :lol:

I've agreed with you before, not often but I most certainly have.
  • Reply 19 of 64
    huntercrhuntercr Posts: 140member

I think this is ridiculous speculation from all the usual Kings of navel gazing. I don't know why I bother reading  blogs/tweets from these guys. Half the time Gruber has his distortion field turned on so hard about web technologies and pushing "allies" sites, it gets so old.

Then every once in awhile they stumble upon a real tidbit.

This isn't one of those moments.

This is completely nonsense... ok maybe they could and will have a separate event. BUt this is what Apple always does.

Lets not forget that there hasn't been a Mac Pro update yet, there hasn't been a new Retina iMac/Cinema Display update yet.

So lets count the current unfulfilled rumors... 

Iphone 5

iPad mini ( no it's not going to be called the iPad Air, Gruber, get over yourself )

the iPod Nano

The iPod touch

new Retina iMacs

New Retina Cinema Display

New Mac Pros

Basically their entire product line.

Since the iPad3 hasn't even been out a full year,  and the Mac Pros, and everything else have been lagging for some time now, don't you think it's very likely there will be two events...

Like late October/Early November? Like Apple ALWAYS does?

Of course some people may think I'm just splitting hairs here...  sure they're will be two events, but that's not necessarily about iPad stealing anything.

Iphones are *always* their own event.

• Reply 20 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by mad1at35 View Post

If Apple were going to release a smaller ipad then it would probably be better to gain maximum and continued media hype by releasing iphone and ipod touch first, leave it about a month then announce an ipad mini and the supposed slight refresh of the ipad maxi.

October the 12th ish would mean its a couple of weeks before the Microsoft tablet which would hopefully be lost in the meda frenzy over the mini.

How to generate maximum buzz with two carefully planned events and stuff your competitor up nicely in one easy marketing lesson.

I'm not so sure the whole idea of two separate events is correct.  It might be I guess.  It's pretty difficult to actually care one way or the other.

The thing I keep focussing on is that it makes no sense to introduce the new iPhone in the new 16:9 format without introducing it's doppleganger the new iPod touch.  So unless they are getting out of the iPod business altogether, it makes sense to have both at the same event.  On the other hand a second event that is only the new iPad mini (and possibly an ever so slightly updated iPad 3), would be boring city Arizona.  

On the one hand if the second event is music related, then it makes sense to do all the iPod stuff there, on the other hand that means pushing the iPad stuff together with  the music stuff which makes no sense either really.  Also, while the September/October event was always iPod and music related, that was supposedly eliminated last year and replaced with an iPad related event, so Gruber's musings about the second "music event" seem wrong also.  

Again, hard to care, but anything could happen here really.  

If I was going to bet, I would say that the first event is iPhone only and not music related, but includes a "one more thing" which is the iPod touch revision and a new iPod nano.  Except they have renamed the touch to be simply "iPod" and they quickly end the event with the news that the shuffle and the classic are no longer part of the team.  The second event is iPad related and has both the new iPad and the new mini, which will come in white and black plastic versions only.  

That way the new simplified lineup is iPad and iPad mini, iPod and iPod nano.

Everything else is gone.