Facebook launches faster iOS application for iPhone, iPad

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    logic368 wrote: »
    Well, you can sort by top stories or most recent, but yeah, i don't think that shows everything. but then again, if it really showed everything, there would be way to many updates and it would make the iphone app hard to use. I guess i can understand the desire for the ipad app to have it though...

When I choose 'most recent' it shows all the stories that Facebook shows on my desktop computer....
  • Reply 22 of 37
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I hate Facebook. I deleted my account twice now. Why I went back the first time, I do not know. All my old friends from school are moronic and there is so much rabid political commentary. It is less than useless in my opinion. A total waste of time, plus they track you. Facebook is worse than Google.  image

Of course if the stock hits $10 I'm probably a buyer.

• Reply 23 of 37

Still sucks.

• Reply 24 of 37
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post

The Sort button (top right) lets you switch your news feed from Top Stories to Most Recent to put it back in chronological order. it is pretty crappy at remembering the setting though and will resort back to Top Stories seemingly at random, but the website also fails to remember your sort setting with any reliability so I suspect its a general facebook flaw rather than just the app .

It actually goes back to the other sort instantly now, whereas before it used to stick until you rebooted or uninstalled.  

For that and other reasons, I would say this is not a "general Facebook flaw" but a "general Facebook strategy."  

When something like this persists over multiple versions and codebases and devices, (and it has) it seems almost certain that it's a design choice by Facebook.  

This assumption is made more likely by the many other design choices Facebook makes which are purposely deceptive in regards their users and the privacy of their data, but simultaneously beneficial for their advertisers and the growth of the Facebook corporation.  In short, I don't think it's a coincidence at all, and Facebook has a long history of screwing with their users in exactly this manner.  

• Reply 25 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It actually goes back to the other sort instantly now, whereas before it used to stick until you rebooted or uninstalled.  

Well so far in this new version it seems to be remembering the setting on my iPad even having killed the facebook app from the app switcher and restarted it... 

On the iPhone the UI is a bit vague - when you click Sort and change the setting you have to click the Done button to get it to save - just clicking off the selector closes it down but doesn't seem to save your change.

• Reply 26 of 37
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

- The entire screen on an iPhone is filled up with the "suggestions" they put at the top (also un-configurable), so you have to scroll down to see anything useful.

Yeah... something... useful.  Because there's tons of that on most people's FB feed, right?

• Reply 27 of 37

"free from the iOS App STore"

Okay then. That STore is pretty cool, we should go to that STore together to get some shopping done.

• Reply 28 of 37
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

"free from the iOS App STore"

Okay then. That STore is pretty cool, we should go to that STore together to get some shopping done.

Seriously, if anyone sees stuff like this, just PM me a link to the article and the changes that should be made (or even that changes should be made) and I'll give it a once-over.

• Reply 29 of 37
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I hate Facebook. I deleted my account twice now. Why I went back the first time, I do not know. 

I do not hate Facebook. Just do not give a $hit on what kind of app they just released. Will never have an account and not going to be their product.

I prefer to hang out with real friends in real life.

• Reply 30 of 37
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

I do not hate Facebook. Just do not give a $hit on what kind of app they just released. Will never have an account and not going to be their product.

So all of your friends are local. Lucky you. Some of us have found reconnections with long lost friends via FB.

Its flawed but a lot of people get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

So hop off of your high horse.

• Reply 31 of 37

Quote:

Q: How do you know if somebody doesn't have a Facebook account?

A: They'll tell you.

• Reply 32 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

Good one

• Reply 33 of 37
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I hated the previous version and I have to admit that this new one works much more smoothly and quickly. But it's still buggy. For example: I'm still seeing the comments count on posts not reflect the actual count. Etc.

Anyone still getting the bug where an update tells you someone added a comment after you, touching the notice and finding Facebook thinks there are no comments at all on that story and therefore being unable to read any of them at all?
  • Reply 34 of 37
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

Right, this is the only way. Also you won't see that person's puppies posted on the wall, neither life status updates, time he or she took last shower or more crap like this.

• Reply 35 of 37
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Right, this is the only way. Also you won't see that person's puppies posted on the wall, neither life status updates, time he or she took last shower or more crap like this.

That's Twitter, I thought.

Or maybe FourSquare. "Just checked in at [upstairs bathroom shower]".

I can't keep this crap straight.

• Reply 36 of 37

You still can't select text for cut and paste and you still can't share stories. Those are the biggest gripes (but not the only gripes) I still have.

• Reply 37 of 37

I just updated and I have to say it is a lot smoother. They still need to add a few features though.