Microsoft's new logo emphasizes Windows, Metro

Comments

• Reply 121 of 171
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vorsos View Post

But that's the thing; Microsoft is following Apple's design cues once again, instead of finding their own identity.

Clever.

Microsoft is aping Apple by being influence by the Swiss and Bauhaus design schools.

Apple is original for being influence by the Bauhaus design school.

I guess because Apple did it first.

I got it.

Whatever.

I think MS's new logo is fine. Clean, simple and elegant. Their thinking around Metro is decent as well. Not perfect. Not great. But decent.

Apple doesn't have it all figured out.

And I've been friggin' Apple fan/"disciple" (and generally despised MS) for over 25 years!

• Reply 122 of 171
    nasserae wrote: »
    AI, It's not called Metro anymore...
    It has more catchy name.. Windows 8 User Interface!

I prefer to call it the Windows Phone 7 User Interface to properly date it's arrival. ;)
  • Reply 123 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Here's a rejected version of Microsoft's new logo:

(click for full size)

Now that's just mean! Funny, very funny, though! :)

• Reply 124 of 171

I'm sure the faithful will appreciate the white cross in the logo, but why crucify windows with a grid interface.

OK I'll admit this really is in bad taste!

• Reply 125 of 171
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

I find many of the criticisms of MS in the logo issue interesting and deeply ironic given how closely it draws from the bauhaus design ethos...as Apple has for decades both directly and indirectly.

Microsoft's new logo is much closer to a bauhaus aesthetic than anything Apple has done.  

I think you are really confusing or confabulating "bauhaus" with "modernity."  I would argue that Apple follows a "modern" aesthetic instead.  While bauhaus is by definition modern, not all modernity originates in bauhaus design aesthetics.  

No one in the bauhaus school would use rounded rectangles like Apple does for instance, or if they did, certainly not in anywhere near such profusion.  

• Reply 126 of 171
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Windows Metro Sexual.  The new sensual windows.

Nah, "metrosexuals" are fashion leaders; ahead of the curve; daring and interesting; they follow no one and flout convention.  

That doesn't sound at all like Microsoft.  

• Reply 127 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

For the first time in 25 years, Microsoft has updated its logo, with a tiled symbol that evokes the logo for its Windows operating system, as well as the new tile-driven Metro interface being pushed by the company.

"We're excited about the new logo, but more importantly about this new era in which we're reimagining how our products can help people and businesses throughout the world realize their full potential," Hansen said.

So now MS has a logo for the tile-driven Metro Interface that they just un-named. Also, MS is "excited about this new era..." WTF are they getting all excited about the "post-PC era?" 

What a bunch of corporate double-speak. The logo is flat and bland, just like the company it represents. Even though the new logo ties back to the old one in some ways, Microsoft feels they need to still put the company name there with the logo, or include the name into the logo. Are they that insecure? I'm surprised that they didn't add a tag line, like "A Ballmer corporation" under the company name, and then list all their products on the faces of the logo so no one could not forget what MS does...

• Reply 128 of 171

Hi All,

Probably everyone has said this already, but it's boring, does not get me excited.

This feels like government initiative launch, whatever the government does (except for lower taxes across all wage earners), we never get excited, too much spin.

Not that I hate Microsoft, it just that they never make you passionate about what they are doing, do not touch core of me and say "DAMN THIS IS CUTTING EDGE'

Look at their executives  bio pages all in some suit or look like they are working for the government, reminds me of the BIG BLUE in 80s.

• Reply 129 of 171
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenfingers View Post

it has squares, so it's already patented by apple. haven't they been following the apple/samsung case?

You should read more. Apple patented the rectangle.?

To be fair, a square is an equilateral rectangle...

• Reply 130 of 171
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Sleepy. This logo is making you very sleepy.

...zzz........

That's why it took them 25 years...

They wanted to get the snores just right!

• Reply 131 of 171

Heh, a new look?.....how about a Google Chrome look (idea from the site we aren't allowed to talk about and pictures courtesy of my dock and AI):

lolz. itz kindaz copyinx zeres, huhz?

• Reply 132 of 171
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Microsoft's new logo is much closer to a bauhaus aesthetic than anything Apple has done.

Agreed that it is purer representation of that design movement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think you are really confusing or confabulating "bauhaus" with "modernity."  I would argue that Apple follows a "modern" aesthetic instead.  While bauhaus is by definition modern, not all modernity originates in bauhaus design aesthetics.  

No one in the bauhaus school would use rounded rectangles like Apple does for instance, or if they did, certainly not in anywhere near such profusion.  

I wasn't claiming that Apple was so much using the bauhaus movement as influenced by it as was Dieter Rams (who has also influenced Apple). But the influence goes back further to the original Macs (I think the influence has become more pronounced in recent years actually). Steve Jobs has even admitted this. It's actually not that hard to see either.

• Reply 133 of 171
    8002580025 Posts: 175member

And this is news? As if a redisigned logo would improve a product. It's all making majorcrap LOOK like it actually has desirable products. NOT!

• Reply 134 of 171
    mr.scottmr.scott Posts: 124member

ZZZZzzzzzzzz

• Reply 135 of 171
    mr.scottmr.scott Posts: 124member

Quote:

Originally Posted by carmelapple View Post

I'm a graphic designer and this sort of blows my mind. There are a lot of logos and identities out there that blow my mind. For example, http://www.firstalliancecu.com here in my own city of Rochester, MN. Three rounded rectangles layered over each other. This took what...3 minutes of the president's son playing around in Illustrator? Some of the stuff I see here in Rochester is real garbage that doesn't take much thought, effort or any creativity, but I'm sure was well paid for. Or maybe it's an indication that more companies are doing the logo on their own in Microsoft Publisher to save money than actually paying someone who can build something visually engaging and represents an actual concept and brand strategy.

Microsoft's old logo wasn't that exciting either, but it sort of does that FedEx implied arrow thing with the O and S and is sort of more visually engaging...not by much, but more visually engaging. This new logo is just the name without any tweaking of the typeface and then 4 squares. Big deal. The old logo is boring but it's more iconic than this. This is too simple. I love simple, but this isn't that amazing. It probably did cost Microsoft a pretty penny to have this developed and built...but I don't think it's going to do them much good. Its like they've been developing this new UI (Metro) and then decided that they should build an identity that follows that new UI which is going to be prevalent throughout it's products. It makes sense, but it's too simple. Like someone here said earlier...they could have designed this in a span of 20 minutes. I could have done the same. There's no real thought involved. "Make it look like Metro" was probably in the creative brief. Some creative professional somewhere just made bank cause they did the one job on earth that required no thought and no effort yet yielded a massive check. 

Now if they staggered the tiles and changed the sizes and shapes it would be more like the Metro UI since not all tiles in the UI are the same size and shape and are staggered. This would indicate motion better than 4 squares of the same dimensions sitting static next to boring unaltered text.

Soooo true. Good post and whoa... that FACU logo takes me back to the 70's man! 

• Reply 136 of 171
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    mj1970 wrote: »
    Clever.

Microsoft is aping Apple by being influence by the Swiss and Bauhaus design schools.

Apple is original for being influence by the Bauhaus design school.

I guess because Apple did it first.

I got it.

Whatever.

I think MS's new logo is fine. Clean, simple and elegant. Their thinking around Metro is decent as well. Not perfect. Not great. But decent.

Apple doesn't have it all figured out.

And I've been friggin' Apple fan/"disciple" (and generally despised MS) for over 25 years!

Speaking as one who has been involved in this industry from the birth of both Apple and Microsoft, my first thoughts were it was an ad from the era of 8 bit computing. It seems to totally capture that 8 bit look and feel.
  • Reply 137 of 171
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member

Reminds me of Steve Bummer's physique. 

• Reply 138 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

Great, the Windows Apologists have arrived. Sorry buddy, you're in the wrong place for crowing about Microsoft products.

Apologist? I'm just trying to correct false statements. Saying that MS has done 'nothing' in the last 7 years is obviously a false statement.

• Reply 139 of 171
    evilution wrote: »

wtf?
  • Reply 140 of 171

Looks like they're dumbing down the logo as well now. Goes with Windows 8 well I think. YUK image