First Look: Facebook integration in OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    samiamsamiam Posts: 27member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

A tragic dumbing down of a once superb OS. FB is a toxic entity that has done more to create a generation of callous dystopian voyeuristic narcissistic shallow low IQ individuals than any other invention in recent history outside of American daytime TV or anything on Sky (UK) that isn't the sports, History or Discover channel. FB has few positive attributes and Apple who are supposed to develop engines of creation that inspire people to create have lost their way. No wonder the Mac Pro's have not been updated in years and the iPad doesn't have a proper high resolution stylus. I for one, whilst finding Apple hardware such as the MBA, Mac Mini and iPod Touch superb, will question my continued loyalty to the platform if they do not reconsider their current immature mind numbing consumption based path. I already boycott all services and publications that require an FB login to gain access and will have no hesitation to drop Apple in full after over 20 years of loyalty if this behaviour does not stop. I hope others comprehend what I am getting at here and will back me up. I estimate 5% will 'Like', the rest will 'Hate'.

Funny

I'd call it a streamlining of the superb OS into a modern integrated online world. FB and twitter are social entities creating a connected, friendly, outgoing and sometimes radical, revolutionary and world changing interaction between individuals interested in bringing down a dictatorship, reaching high school friends or creating networks of like minded intellectuals. People use these for musical, business, social or scientific creation inspiring new ways of communicating and sharing. Apple is expanding its interests beyond it's traditional base of high powered desktop computers to highly mobile computers for everyone... no keyboard or stylus required. I fully embrace all services that use FB or twitter logins.  I am careful however to understand the internet is free and open and never post anything online I wouldn't show my mother. I have been an apple fan for 25 years and only become more convinced as time goes on that apple has two primary driving interests 1) making the best user experience possible for as many people as possible  2) making lots of money by doing #1 better than anyone else.  I don't think most people know what you are "getting at here" and I think 60% will like, 35% won't care, 4% will hate and 1% will flame and rave like you.

• Reply 22 of 64
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    oflife wrote: »
    A tragic dumbing down of a once superb OS. FB is a toxic entity that has done more to create a generation of callous dystopian voyeuristic narcissistic shallow low IQ individuals than any other invention in recent history outside of American daytime TV or anything on Sky (UK) that isn't the sports, History or Discover channel.

I don't use Facebook myself, I quite dislike it, like Google, but I'd say your misguided if you think Facebook is making people dumb. It's just showing you what people are and can be like given the "right" environment.
  • Reply 23 of 64
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    100% agree. As much as I would love to SW FB die off, it's probably too far along to writher away. The best we can hope for is that it eventually get purchased by someone and then it will die. Until then, yeah, it sucks.
  • Reply 24 of 64
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    100% agree. As much as I would love to SW FB die off, it's probably too far along to writher away. The best we can hope for is that it eventually get purchased by someone and then it will die. Until then, yeah, it sucks.
  • Reply 25 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

In 2022, no kid will be able to tell you what Facebook was. In 2017 it'll probably be used as examples in business school of what not to do.

Prevalence doesn't imply success or even long-term desirability. You don't see bell-bottoms anywhere anymore, and I doubt that this thickness of necktie will be back in style for a good long while, if ever. image

For the record, I still like it, though. Dunno; it just has more appeal to me than the variable thickness ties.

I like Facebook because it lets me talk to my nephews who live far away simply because they don't talk on the phone. But we laugh and joke all the time on Facebook so it keeps us connected. It's not the same as talking on the phone or talking face to face but I won't say it's any less valuable. I just think the other poster who is a 20 year Apple user saying he will abandon Apple because of one item in a pull down menu is a bit excessive. Nice tie btw :)

• Reply 26 of 64

This must have taken all of two weeks to code.

• Reply 27 of 64
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

I estimate 5% will 'Like', the rest will 'Hate'.

Actually 56% of internet users are still on your side:

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/facebook.com

• Reply 28 of 64
    Two quick replies to the original rant:

1. If you don't like social media, don't use them. We all ignore features of a massively complex modern OS.

2. Social media are media, likes books or movies or anything else. The content is made by people, and so a lot is inane and some is really good. This will sound obnoxious but needs to be said -- if you find social media mind-numingly stupid, it means you have stupid friends or make bad choices about whom to follow.

I am a college professor in my 40s and many of my colleagues, locally and around the world, use Facebook. We show pictures of our kids and dogs, true, but we also talk about the books we're writing and reading, about politics and art and history and science and religion. I learn a lot from a lot of smart people. I find Twitter even more intellectually rewarding because I can follow a great range of people and organizations.
  • Reply 29 of 64
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    In 2022, no kid will be able to tell you what Facebook was. In 2017 it'll probably be used as examples in business school of what not to do.

Prevalence doesn't imply success or even long-term desirability. You don't see bell-bottoms anywhere anymore, and I doubt that this thickness of necktie will be back in style for a good long while, if ever. :lol:

LL

For the record, I still like it, though. Dunno; it just has more appeal to me than the variable thickness ties.

genovelle wrote: »
    Like Really?!!  I'm sure there are lots of drop down menus and buttons you don't use.  

Completely different example.

So comparing pop up buttons to drop down menus is a "completely different example".

But comparing a website to fashion is acceptable?

I know you don't get out in the real world much after accomplishing your lifelong goal of global moderator- but skinny ties are in. And they have been for quite a long time now.
  • Reply 30 of 64

The Facebook Wall, is a modern evolution of boards, comments and chatrooms.  Note the "like" "quote" and "reply" button on your own comment?  So to rant about FB on a article board comment section is pure irony.

• Reply 31 of 64

Sure, just don't add your Facebook account in Mail, Contacts & Calendars, as you wouldn't other accounts you don't use.

Been using it for a while like others (was in the DP and can be activated on release versions) but even tho I don't use Facebook much, I find syncing Contacts useful for updating photos, also Birthdays in Calendar.

• Reply 32 of 64
    oflife wrote: »
    A tragic dumbing down of a once superb OS. FB is a toxic entity that has done more to create a generation of callous dystopian voyeuristic narcissistic shallow low IQ individuals than any other invention in recent history outside of American daytime TV or anything on Sky (UK) that isn't the sports, History or Discover channel. FB has few positive attributes and Apple who are supposed to develop engines of creation that inspire people to create have lost their way. No wonder the Mac Pro's have not been updated in years and the iPad doesn't have a proper high resolution stylus. I for one, whilst finding Apple hardware such as the MBA, Mac Mini and iPod Touch superb, will question my continued loyalty to the platform if they do not reconsider their current immature mind numbing consumption based path. I already boycott all services and publications that require an FB login to gain access and will have no hesitation to drop Apple in full after over 20 years of loyalty if this behaviour does not stop. I hope others comprehend what I am getting at here and will back me up. I estimate 5% will 'Like', the rest will 'Hate'.

FB is not dumbing down the OS in any way.
    It's an option and people who like to be connected to FB "friends" will certainly like the implementation. People who are sceptical towards FB or who don't like FB will not sign in. It is as easy as that. I can't emagine that any body is bothered about an option to FB integration that can so easily be omitted. And no I am no FB enthusiast. I hve not the time to spend hours in commenting what I am about to do. But I can understand people who like this form of connectivity very well.
    And btw the MacPro has been updated as recent as this summer, if you haven't noticed.
  • Reply 33 of 64
    It's not really a first look is it? This is the second beta of the Facebook integration. The first was available to developers prior to the release of ML.
  • Reply 34 of 64
    mac512mac512 Posts: 37member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

It's an option and people who like to be connected to FB "friends" will certainly like the implementation. People who are sceptical towards FB or who don't like FB will not sign in. It is as easy as that. 

Just by curiosity (I'm still under Snow Leopard). Is there a way to deactivate the FB button (or other social network buttons) in System Preferences? 

• Reply 35 of 64

Ummm... The very first picture in this story shows Facebook integration in iPhoto sharing. That has been there for quite a while. Even in Lion. That's not part of the new Facebook iteration. Everything else is the new part.

• Reply 36 of 64
    doorman.doorman. Posts: 159member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

How to ignore it......hmmmmmmm...........................I'VE GOT IT!!!!   Don't use it. Brilliant!

Next on my bucket list is trying to convince Apple to strip all features out of Mac OSX that I don't personally use.

Still, Apple offers no configuration of that integration. For people who does not want each time the do somethig see facebook logo - this whole integration thing sucks.

• Reply 37 of 64

Does anyone know if this supports multiple FB logins?  I have a personal account and a business account and would like to be able to toggle between the two easily. i.e. a dropdown list when I decide to post.

As an aside, I like the concept of "social", but I deeply dislike Facebook's approach.  Their web interface is a heinous mess with the aesthetic of a used car salesman riding a blind, unbathed mule along the Vegas strip.

• Reply 38 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac512 View Post

Just by curiosity (I'm still under Snow Leopard). Is there a way to deactivate the FB button (or other social network buttons) in System Preferences? 

These "buttons" or better options appear only if you want to make your content available. They are not just sitting there. So if I normally use my Mac I don't even see them. Once I push the publish button or select the equivalent menu, these options become visible.

So all the heated talk about how bad social network integration is, is completely BS. Unless you actively sign in in all these networks, there is absolutely nothing to worry about.

• Reply 39 of 64
    The Facebook integration doesn't work for me. It's all setup, but I never get notifications. Never tells me when people comment nor show new wall posts. Odd.
  • Reply 40 of 64

I have to say I agree. Even logging in here to post this comment I am confronted with a Facebook button which I struggled to avoid. I don't want every single thing I do to automatically appear on my Facebook page until I figure out the arcane ways to keep everything from being shown there.