Alleged Apple 'iPad mini' cases show rear camera, mystery hole

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A handful of third-party cases from overseas allegedly designed to fit Apple's rumored "iPad mini" feature space on the back for a rear-facing camera, as well as a mysterious tiny hole at the center.

The protective cases were discovered and highlighted on Friday by Giz-China.com, and show space for a camera at the top left of the device. That suggests that like all other portable iOS devices, including the iPhone and iPod touch, the smaller iPad will feature a rear-facing camera.

Also shown on the cases is a small, centered hole atop the back. That's consistent with leaked parts claimed to be from Apple's next iPhone which also show a new mystery hole on the back of the device, located between the camera lens and LED flash.

It has been speculated that the space on the new iPhone could be for a new rear-facing microphone that would improve audio quality when shooting video. It's possible that the empty space on the third-party cases purportedly for Apple's smaller iPad could also be accommodating for a new rear-facing microphone.

Another case available for sale includes a rendering of Apple's rumored smaller iPad featuring both the smaller dock connector as well as a forward-facing FaceTime camera.

iPad mini 1

Last month, alleged engineering samples of Apple's smaller 7.85-inch iPad appeared online and showed off the use of a smaller dock connector, but gave no indication of a rear-facing camera or microphone. The rumored device was shown to be noticeably thinner than Apple's current third-generation iPad with Retina display.

iPad mini 2

However, one alleged rear casing for Apple's "iPad mini" which surfaced earlier this month did not show a rear-facing camera or the mystery space found in the new third-party cases. But that alleged part also lacked the legally required technical info and disclaimer text usually found on the back of Apple's devices, casting some doubt on the part's authenticity.

iPad mini 3

Rumors have pegged Apple's smaller iPad to launch in October ahead of the holiday shopping season. It's been suggested that Apple may hold a separate media event from its anticipated Sept. 12 unveiling of a new iPhone to launch a smaller iPad model.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Not sure if this is real or if this is 2011's Tear drop iPhone 5 all over again.

• Reply 2 of 50

Enough already. It seems most of your posts recently are about the speculation and often likely legally questionable revelations about the new iPhone or iPad.

I fully support journalists who cross the legal line to reveal unethical and legitimately questionable or illegal behavior, but to spread rumors or facts about a product that is supposed to be confidential serves no good purpose. To devote so much time and bits to it is a waste of time; mine and yours. Speculate and express desires if you want but please stop sharing the latest visual rumors, no matter how maybe valid you think they might be. You are collaborating with, encouraging, and/or supporting questionable activities. You are trying to peek before Christmas, and speculating whether Santa left some decoys.

We will all see them when the Apple Santa wants us to see them.

• Reply 3 of 50
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Very clearly looks like a hole for a noise-canceling/video recording mic to me.
  • Reply 4 of 50
    845032845032 Posts: 76member

Top Apple Executive Saw Market for 7-Inch Tablet in 2011, Said Company Should Do One

“I believe there will be a 7-inch market and we should do one,” Cue wrote in the email, which forwarded an article written by a reporter that switched from the iPad to a 7-inch Samsung tablet.

http://allthingsd.com/20120803/apples-eddy-cue-saw-market-for-7-inch-tablet-in-2011-said-should-do-one/

They copied Samsung's strategy. just saying

• Reply 5 of 50

What about an IR Transmitter?  If this truly is the remote for the new Apple TV, they could be including an IR transmitter for backwards compatability with various players/tuner boxes.

• Reply 6 of 50
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

I have always been wary of a mystery hole.

• Reply 7 of 50

Quote:

Enough already. It seems most of your posts recently are about the speculation and often likely legally questionable revelations about the new iPhone or iPad.

I fully support journalists who cross the legal line to reveal unethical and legitimately questionable or illegal behavior, but to spread rumors or facts about a product that is supposed to be confidential serves no good purpose. To devote so much time and bits to it is a waste of time; mine and yours. Speculate and express desires if you want but please stop sharing the latest visual rumors, no matter how maybe valid you think they might be. You are collaborating with, encouraging, and/or supporting questionable activities. You are trying to peek before Christmas, and speculating whether Santa left some decoys.

We will all see them when the Apple Santa wants us to see them.

And yet, you read the article.   And felt a need to comment on it.   Why didn't you stuff your fingers into your ears and start shouting - "NaNaNaNaNa - I can't hear you."?

Get a grip.  Rumors about potential products is half the fun of web sites like these.   I got a chuckle out of the special screw that was rumored a week or two ago.  Good fun.   And the panic from rumor mongers who panicked because they fell for the story.   Again, fun for all.

• Reply 8 of 50
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rhino_tuff wrote: »
    What about an IR Transmitter?  If this truly is the remote for the new Apple TV, they could be including an IR transmitter for backwards compatability with various players/tuner boxes.

I think that would have been to include on an iPhone/Touch years ago but at this point I'd think BT 4.0 now has options that make it better all around going into the next 5 years. Plus, I don't think the size of this rumoured device is great for a remote control. It's considerably bigger and wider than the Kindle at 7.85" 4:3 and yet the Kindle is far too big as a remote.
  • Reply 9 of 50
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I know it's stupid, but what about a lanyard slot? A mic slot sounds the most plausible, the problem being there are two slots near each other.
    curmudgeon wrote: »
    And yet, you read the article.   And felt a need to comment on it..

You commented on his comment. How far down this pointless rabbit hole do you really want to go? If you're going to call his comment without value, maybe you should be honest and admit your own comment was without value as well. This whole site and being here is about pointlessness.
  • Reply 10 of 50
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

Quote:

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I have always been wary of a mystery hole.

Add glory holes to that list...

• Reply 11 of 50
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

It's the MIC hole.

• Reply 12 of 50
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

is it me or the first 2 pics show a case with a 16:9 ratio?   That puzzle me because I expect Apple to make an ipad mini with 1024x768 (4:3) resolution (ipad1, ipad2)  Or Apple could make a 5" ipod touch with iphone 5 resolution.  But a 7" tablet with iphone 5 resolution would look horrible.  I dont think Apple will support more than 2 resolution on new products.

Product collections I would like Apple to release:

Watch style ipod nano.

4" iphone / ipod with 16:9 resolution.

5" ipod touch with same resolution of iphone

8" ipad mini with same resolution of ipad1,2

10" ipad with retina display

15" ipad XL with same resolution of retina display ipad.

in the future:  4.5" iphone with 720p resolution (1280x720)

On the TV side I would like to see:

Classic 99$ Apple TV with :  App store. ATSC tuner, DvR support on optional external USB drive or on a NetDrive. Support for itunes serveur on a net drive. A good device for people who wants to cut cable.

IPTV set-top box with :  Classic 99$ Apple TV functions + Full integration of live IPTV feeds with itunes on demand content. The distributor would get a cut on all on demand rentals, sales, apps. Apple bring its ecosystem and the distributor brings the live IPTV feeds and ensure reliable live feeds and on demand content that doesnt use any internet bandwigh on youre internet plan.

Full Apple TV set. For clients that want everything in the set without any external device.  So ITPV set-top box functions + Bose integrated speakers for high quality "fake" surround sound. A deluxe product, expect high price.

• Reply 13 of 50
    The hole's for the projector.

That way, people'll buy in droves an otherwise absolutely unecessary product -- a Kindle-sized iPad.
  • Reply 14 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

They copied Samsung's strategy. just saying

Not to mention RIM, Motorola, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Dell, Toshiba, HTC, Asus, Lenovo, Archos, Google…>whew!< Bad Apple. Bad, bad, bad.

• Reply 15 of 50
    bappobappo Posts: 24member

The new hole is for the iPad new Laser, working with the new iPad ChemCam.

Check out Curiosity.

• Reply 16 of 50
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

is it me or the first 2 pics show a case with a 16:9 ratio?   That puzzle me because I expect Apple to make an ipad mini with 1024x768 (4:3) resolution (ipad1, ipad2).

The screen is 4:3, but because the bezels are not the same on the sides and are far thinner the device itself will look more like 16:9 than 4:3.

• Reply 17 of 50

Obviously a mic hole. 

• Reply 18 of 50
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Well, how else would you securely mount the digital SLR lenses on?

Whoops!

Did I just turn the 'Apple iPad Mini' rumours into 'Apple Digital iSLR' rumours?

My bad.
  • Reply 19 of 50
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

is it me or the first 2 pics show a case with a 16:9 ratio?   That puzzle me because I expect Apple to make an ipad mini with 1024x768 (4:3) resolution (ipad1, ipad2)  Or Apple could make a 5" ipod touch with iphone 5 resolution.  But a 7" tablet with iphone 5 resolution would look horrible.  I dont think Apple will support more than 2 resolution on new products.

Product collections I would like Apple to release:

Watch style ipod nano.

4" iphone / ipod with 16:9 resolution.

5" ipod touch with same resolution of iphone

8" ipad mini with same resolution of ipad1,2

10" ipad with retina display

15 12" ipad XL with same resolution of retina display ipad.

I'd be cool with that.  :-)

• Reply 20 of 50
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A handful of third-party cases from overseas allegedly designed to fit Apple's rumored "iPad mini" feature space on the back for a rear-facing camera, as well as a mysterious tiny hole at the center (sic) ...

This is a bit thin isn't it?  

Only the second case (the rubber ones) are even based on a model of the iPad that fits the latest parts leaks which everyone seems to agree are the real deal.  The first and the third clearly show the audio jack at the top.  

The entire premise of the article is the "mystery hole," even though it's obviously for a microphone, and the fact that the holes on number one and two don't even match what we've come to expect from the hardware isn't even mentioned? (on purpose? or through incompetence?).  The only thing that's even "evidence" of anything new here is the rubber one and it looks both cheap and fake to me.  

Edit: The rubber one seems to have an audio jack at the top also, so they are all fake, or the parts leaks are fake.  The parts leaks are far more convincing IMO.