Steve Jobs describes future of personal computing in 1983 speech

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55

I'm glad to have had the chance to listen to this if even decades after it occurred as there is still much to learn from this speech.

• Reply 42 of 55
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Quodo you couldn't be more right...I mentioned in an earlier post that last week I went into a Best Buy (first time in years) to look at the Ret. MBP. I was astounded and nauseated by the multitude of blue gray colored plasticky crap products Best Buy sells. It was like I walked into 1995. I have the similar feeling when I walk into my friends's office. Basically full of his and his wife's pwr bricks and dusty cables connected to crappy small displays and crappy Windows towers with crappy clunky keyboards and mice. All sitting on crappy OfficeMax type crappy desks. Ugh.

I know I sound like a broken record but, an iP5, an MBA, an iPad 8," iCloud and a large screen AppleTV and I'm good to go. Maybe a TimeCapsule, too.

I want to simplify my digital life. And thanks to Steve I can. I will not buy electronic equipment unless it is made by Apple.

Camera? Sold it and use my iPhone 4s.

Stand-alone-GPS? Nada, I use TomTom App.

Video Cam? Nope, iP4s, again. 

Stereo? Nope, iP4s, again. 

iPod? Nope, iP4s, again. 

DSLR Camera? Nope...will do without until Apple makes one.

TV? Nope.... am doing without until Apple makes one.

Printer? Forced to use a Brother MFC495CN but get my ink from Amazon for less than a 10th of what I would pay at Target or OfficeMax. B/C it's wireless, I keep it in a closet, so I don't have to look at it. Doing a lot less printing anyway...may have to buy a printer that will print from my iOS devices soon. Will try to avoid HP like the plague!

Once you have *one* Apple product that really shows you the care and attention with which it is possible to manufacture a piece of electronics (who would have thought *that* was a big deal?) you want *all* your gear to look and feel just like that. It's not just the draw of tightly integrated products, but integrated products made to those standards across the board. 

• Reply 43 of 55
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by k2director View Post

What are the chances any 20-somethings in tech today mention the names Plato or Aristotle in a sentence? Sadly, I'd say the chances are zero.

Who is to blame, them, their parents, the now almost universal statu(s) quo ( minus south Korea? ) - underfunded public schools/education. Rich kids get better education. 

• Reply 44 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

He was a good artist. I missed you, Steve.

Mine signature. Everyone calls Wozniak the visionary and Jobs the CEO. Woz didn't tell Jobs to say any of this. And not to put our beloved Segway-mounted Santa Claus down, Woz is one of the most awesome dudes alive today. But looking back I think that Woz had great ideas... While Jobs had a (as yet, not fully realized) vision of what the future could be.

• Reply 45 of 55
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Quote:

Quodo you couldn't be more right...I mentioned in an earlier post that last week I went into a Best Buy (first time in years) to look at the Ret. MBP. I was astounded and nauseated by ...blahblahblahblah...may have to buy a printer that will print from my iOS devices soon. Will try to avoid HP like the plague!

Brilliant!

Did you actually just copy your own post, and then describe it as "brilliant"???

Strange way to pump up your post number...

• Reply 46 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by AeronPrometheus View Post

Mine signature. Everyone calls Wozniak the visionary and Jobs the CEO. Woz didn't tell Jobs to say any of this. And not to put our beloved Segway-mounted Santa Claus down, Woz is one of the most awesome dudes alive today. But looking back I think that Woz had great ideas... While Jobs had a (as yet, not fully realized) vision of what the future could be.

Steve Jobs was a thinker, i read his obituary written by his sister, Jobs dreamed in being a mathematician.

He certainly loved A. Einstein remark that imagination is more important than knowledge.

Jobs was the imagination while Woz brought the knowledge.

• Reply 47 of 55
    ezorroezorro Posts: 11member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

You're totally missing the point of computers. They're MACHINES!. They'll never be smart. You don't know what smart means. They'll never be intelligent. You don't know what intelligent means.

They're MACHINES. They have to be told what to do and when to do it. That's not smart. That's not intelligent.

They'll never surpass humans--unless you only consider the machine aspect of humans. Unless humans continue to devolve into machines themselves.

There will be at least some of us who will NEVER do that.

The human brain is a complex network of electrical signals.  A computer is a complex network of electrical signals.

There is nothing magical about the human brain - it is a wet machine.  It is not the pinnacle of intelligence that can never be bettered.

Look at the advances in science since the publication of The Principia 325 years ago.  We can't even conceive of what life will be like 325 years from now.

• Reply 48 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

You're totally missing the point of computers. They're MACHINES!. They'll never be smart. You don't know what smart means. They'll never be intelligent. You don't know what intelligent means.

They're MACHINES. They have to be told what to do and when to do it. That's not smart. That's not intelligent.

They'll never surpass humans--unless you only consider the machine aspect of humans. Unless humans continue to devolve into machines themselves.

There will be at least some of us who will NEVER do that.

How can you be SO sure?

We humans are machines the way you describe machines - They have to be told what to do and when to do it. That's not smart. That's not intelligent, we are all controlled by invisible forces, be it our own pathos, fears, prejudices, we are the most programmed of all beings. And that is the reason for our success.

We are programable as the today machines, if you do not believe go to any political forum, and do not forget the religious zealots.

• Reply 49 of 55
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Why? Because his particular brand of genius was the kind that stemmed from his being a deeply dissatisfied person. He was the kind of person who could only drive progress forward by manipulating people, sometimes with charm, sometimes with lies or psychological abuse. Knowing how to manipulate people and actually doing it are hallmarks of the best known people in the world.

How the hell did you conclude that he was a deeply dissatisfied person?

And by definition, hanging your characterization of Steve Jobs as a manipulator is, IMO, truly asinine.

Manipulative: characterized by unscrupulous control of a situation or person: she was sly, selfish, and manipulative.

Sly: having or showing a cunning and deceitful nature having or showing a cunning and deceitful nature

Selfish: of a person, actionor motivelacking consideration for others; concerned chiefly with one's own personal profit or pleasure

Deceitful: guilty of or involving deceit; deceiving or misleading others: such an act would have been deceitful and irresponsible

Deceipt: the action or practice of deceiving someone by concealing or misrepresenting the truth: a web of deceit | a series of lies and deceits.

Amazing that someone as Jobs who was not just a dreamer but a doer as well, gets such disdain.

What is more amazing about this recent insight as exposed by the audio recording, is not that Jobs had such visionariness, he was a dreamer and a doer…unlike the Gates, Ballmers, Dells, etc., of the world, who were certainly there or made apprised of the what may lie ahead, did not have the foresight, talent or balls to appreciate or truly take advantage of the roadmap that was literally handed them. 

• Reply 50 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Strange way to pump up your post number...

Do you get a prize if your number is high?

Where's mine!?

• Reply 51 of 55
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Did anyone notice he talked about Street View, How MIT back in the 70's demonstrated the modern day Street View from Google. He even said how stupid it is to walk down a street on a computer, but it will be something that will be done in 5 or 10 yrs in reality it was 20 yrs. What people do not understand he had total grasp of what the future of the computers was going to be. Most people have no clue until the stumble onto it.

• Reply 52 of 55
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A 1983 speech from late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs was made available recently, with the tech guru expounding on how personal computers would change the landscape of technology forever.

"I think as we look toward the next 50 to 100 years, if we really can come up with these machines that can capture an underlying spirit, or an underlying set of principles, or an underlying way of looking at the world so that then when...."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Reading the above article and listening to Steve talk, reminded me of a February 10, 2011 Times article titled, 2045: The Year Man Becomes Immortal.

Read at http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2048299,00.html

2045 is the projected date that computers will become smarter then humans. I struggle to imagine the unexpected insights that may come from this smarter computer, but Steve Jobs was hinting at it in the last paragraph of the initial post in this thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    Considering the volumes of information available about famous individuals today, I wonder if there should be an attempt to archive such information for future use.

Caprica (TV series) on SyFy had a similar plot device wherein a sophisticated web crawler was used to collect all possible data about a character on the show and (eventually) integrated into a Cylon to give it a personality.

Check out the "FDR Machine" in the currently running Jonathan Hickman sci-fi Image comic "The Manhattan Projects" set in the immediate Post WWII era - an AI built on everything they could input into basically souped-up EINAC/UNIVAC type tech (tho' there are aliens and such running around in the plot line and other tech that didn't exist at the time) - and still comically imperfect, but with clear potential.  

Sounds a lot like Steve would have expected the first iteration of his vision to be like.....

• Reply 53 of 55

Quote:

Quodo you couldn't be more right...I mentioned in an earlier post that last week I went into a Best Buy (first time in years) to look at the Ret. MBP. I was astounded and nauseated by the multitude of blue gray colored plasticky crap products Best Buy sells. It was like I walked into 1995. I have the similar feeling when I walk into my friends's office. Basically full of his and his wife's pwr bricks and dusty cables connected to crappy small displays and crappy Windows towers with crappy clunky keyboards and mice. All sitting on crappy OfficeMax type crappy desks. Ugh.

I know I sound like a broken record but, an iP5, an MBA, an iPad 8," iCloud and a large screen AppleTV and I'm good to go. Maybe a TimeCapsule, too.

I want to simplify my digital life. And thanks to Steve I can. I will not buy electronic equipment unless it is made by Apple.

Camera? Sold it and use my iPhone 4s.

Stand-alone-GPS? Nada, I use TomTom App.

Video Cam? Nope, iP4s, again. 

Stereo? Nope, iP4s, again. 

iPod? Nope, iP4s, again. 

DSLR Camera? Nope...will do without until Apple makes one.

TV? Nope.... am doing without until Apple makes one.

Printer? Forced to use a Brother MFC495CN but get my ink from Amazon for less than a 10th of what I would pay at Target or OfficeMax. B/C it's wireless, I keep it in a closet, so I don't have to look at it. Doing a lot less printing anyway...may have to buy a printer that will print from my iOS devices soon. Will try to avoid HP like the plague!

DSLR Camera....

Please go to http://us.leica-camera.com/home/

They build great products with great attention to detail.

• Reply 54 of 55
    kovacmkovacm Posts: 59member

if somebody miss it:

Aspen Movie Map

Jobs mention it at 13:20

• Reply 55 of 55
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 382member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm wondering what you will be saying to the computer that is administering your lethal injection in riddance of the human race in the year 2050 or so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by elroth View Post

I guess I'll be saying "Bye-bye..."

Hey, your power cord is loose.  Lemme just fix that for you.