Apple, Samsung present closing arguments in California patent trial

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

This thread is dead, but I have to concur with this. My 2 year old loves using the iPad and finds his way around it very well. The apps you get for kids are amazing, so it really is like a primary entertainment-cum-education device. I really don't see him opting for a traditional PC unless his school needs it. Maybe 10 years down the line Indian schools will allow iPads as viable alternatives to PCs. 

… but what you are saying just goes to prove my point. This feature may by a plus, but it’s a “minor” one - it’s by no means “inspirational”! My kids are 3 and 5, their first contact with the ipad was last year when they were 2 and 4, and since then, at least twice a week I have to breakup “fights” between them because they both want to play with the ipad. My point being: Kids have already grown “attached” to the ipad/to IOS, they already work extremely well on it/with it. A few of the things my kids love about it are: it’s easy to use, instinctive and that they have the freedom to easily switch between games and apps with the blink of an eye. They will not enjoy it as much if I start blocking access to specific features, the home button or lock them into a specific app (a child attention span is relatively short, in 15 minutes they will probably go through 2 or 3 apps) . I think the feature may be very useful to people with disabilities and/or teachers that use the ipad as a teaching tool but to the rest of us...

As for the PC and infants/small children, don't worry, they really don’t mix all that well. PC's have too many buttons, too many menus, are too complex and the mouse for an infant can be a bit of a challenge. Lets not have any illusions though, as they grow older they will probably want/need to start using a full featured computer. I love my ipad but on a day to day basis (with long text documents, wide spread sheets, Apples pain in the butt closed system, etc., etc.) it in no way substitutes my PC!  

• Reply 122 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

The year 2005, check the specs, 3D Maps:-

http://www.gsmarena.com/gigabyte_gsmart_2005-1760.php

Then there was Nokia in 2009:-

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n97_embraces_kinetic_scrolling_with_firmware_200-news-1212.php

of course Nokia owns NavTeq who released their Navigon App for iOS in 2010, complete with 3D maps

http://www.gsmarena.com/navigon_release_their_mobile_navigator_app_for_the_iphone-news-985.php

Google couldn't innovate their way out of a wet paper bag.

Dude, two things:

Google couldn't innovate their way out of a wet paper bag.

You're kidding right?! I guess Google's growth was just pure dumb luck. 

As for 3D

Look deeper, I dont think we're talking about the same type of 3d imaging here.

• Reply 123 of 139

Ohh and just one more thing. Take a look at this thread:

• Reply 124 of 139

Oops!!!

Ohhh and just one more thing about who is "copying" who and patent wars, have we all forgotten about this:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/152042/motorolas-seven-patent-itc-complaint-against-apple-detailed

• Reply 125 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'd link you to the stories and the proof, but you'd ignore them. They're on this site in the archives, if you wish to peruse. Or if you don't trust any site with the word "Apple" in the title, the same stories are reported elsewhere. I'm not going to waste any more of my time reproving you wrong.

Believe me, I read the "story" on this site.

If anyone ever needed to read an article, it is you and this article - http://youarenotsosmart.com/2011/06/10/the-backfire-effect/

I get it that you really, really, love all things apple.  The problem is that you allow that love to blind you to the truth.

• Reply 126 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhReally View Post

Believe me, I read the "story" on this site.

If anyone ever needed to read an article, it is you and this article - http://youarenotsosmart.com/2011/06/10/the-backfire-effect/

I get it that you really, really, love all things apple.  The problem is that you allow that love to blind you to the truth.

Spot on.

• Reply 127 of 139

Originally Posted by OhReally View Post

The problem is that you allow that love to blind you to the truth.

So the Google 3D maps that were built in direct response to Apple's 3D maps and the knowledge that their contract was up this year… weren't built in direct response to Apple's 3D maps and the knowledge that their contract was up this year, despite Apple beginning their work on full 3D maps in this regard before Google.

Okay. 

• Reply 128 of 139

Quote:

So the Google 3D maps that were built in direct response to Apple's 3D maps and the knowledge that their contract was up this year… weren't built in direct response to Apple's 3D maps and the knowledge that their contract was up this year, despite Apple beginning their work on full 3D maps in this regard before Google.

Okay. 

"despite Apple beginning their work on full 3D maps in this regard before Google."

Out of curiosity, just how is it that you know this? Unless you have inside info from both companies, this is pure speculation. To my knowledge, it has always been Google that has been one step ahead in map technology (landscape 3d views, 3d redering of buildings, street view, etc), 3d city views are only the next logical step. Also, dont forget that Google denied Apple acces to some of their map function in IOS (they were reserved only for Android) which I'm sure didn'y make Apple too happy. Was it Apple moving away from Google or was it Google moving away from Apple??? I have no idea but it can be seen both ways.

• Reply 129 of 139
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Okay. 

Google began work on 3D maps at least a couple of years ago (Google has had 3D maps for Android since at least Ver.5, Jan/2011) and had an API for aerial 3D views available since October of last year. 

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Application-Development/Google-MapsGL-Ushers-in-3D-Mapping-329347/

• Reply 130 of 139

Originally Posted by gogo2000 View Post

Out of curiosity, just how is it that you know this? Unless you have inside info from both companies, this is pure speculation. 

Check back through the timeline (starting from between two to one and a half years ago) and you'll see that Apple began plans/purchases of the companies to make this a reality before we heard anything from Google about it.

Note that I don't deny in any way that 3D buildings existed in Google properties (it was just Google Earth, right?) before this and before Apple began their search into their own map solution. I have no idea when they started that whole thing where you can build your own house or whatever in Google Earth (because I have absolutely no functional short or long term memory anymore) but I do know it was multiple years ago. That's not what this tech is, however, okay? That's piecemeal, this is whole-set. Google wronged Apple, Apple started moving away from all things Google. Apple bought mapping companies that went in a new direction, Google got terrified, followed suit.

• Reply 131 of 139
    qualarqualar Posts: 72member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Google began work on 3D maps at least a couple of years ago (Google has had 3D maps for Android since at least Ver.5, Jan/2011) and had an API for aerial 3D views available since October of last year. 

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Application-Development/Google-MapsGL-Ushers-in-3D-Mapping-329347/

Tallest Skil got burned.

• Reply 132 of 139
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by qualar View Post

Tallest Skil got burned.

No, not really. Check the post just above yours.

• Reply 133 of 139
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by qualar View Post

Tallest Skil got burned.

That's never my intent with TS, and he did acknowledge Google's earlier 3D map efforts even if he may or may not have been aware of the extent and timing. 

So no, he didn't get burned.

• Reply 134 of 139
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

So no, he didn't get burned.

Singed, perhaps. image

• Reply 135 of 139
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Okay. 

I wonder why Google didn't release 3D maps back in 2009, when Nokia released them?

(refer to my earlier post)

• Reply 136 of 139

Quote:

I agree!!!

To all ardent Apple defender's here:

Don’t think that rooting for a Samsung win is because I/we are Apple bashers or because I/we are  Sammy lovers. Both companies have some great products (I bought and own various Apple and Samsung products). Apple excels in some areas and sucks at others and the same for Samsung.  I’m rooting for a Sam win because:

1. IMHO some of the patents make no sense and shouldn’t have been awarded. I think the whole patents attribution process should/must be revised;

2. I don’t agree with some of the instances in which the term “copied” has been applied ;

3. IMHO both companies have grown using technology developed by themselves but also, developed by others;  

4. IMHO this whole trial has one objective:  Apple striking a blow at their largest competitor;

5. IMHO, I agree that Apple has become too cocky in the past years , if they win they will become even more;  

6. IMHO an Apple win will open a bad precedent and put a strong hold on product development and evolution – as consumers it’s bad for all of us;

7. IMHO an Apple win will open a bad precedent and stifle the competitive process  – as consumers it’s bad for all of us;

8. IMHO an Apple win will amplify the idea that “they are too big to mess with” which I truly don’t like;

9. IMHO an Apple win will open a bad precedent that will lead to a succession of lawsuits of this nature in many areas (not only in consumer electronics!)

Then there is another point, I'm not an accountant nor am I financial analyst but 2,5 BILLION in damages, really?!

Quote:

Oops!!!

Ohhh and just one more thing about who is "copying" who and patent wars, have we all forgotten about this:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/152042/motorolas-seven-patent-itc-complaint-against-apple-detailed

Ah yes, the cases where Motorola opened proceedings by attacking Apple and Microsoft with standards essential patents demanding FOUR BILLION EACH PER ANNUM in licensing, really?!

Of course you'll apply YOUR OWN standards to Motorola AND by extension their new owners, Google who have continued with the aggressive patent abuse begun by Moto.

Unless you are affected by what you are accusing others of, and are so blinded you can't even see it.

• Reply 137 of 139

Quote:

Anyone who had Navigon installed on their iPhones had them in 2010.

Yawn, who gives a shit about Google's attempted one upmanship, it reminds me of Samsung cramming everything they can think of into their smart TV's because of a single line in a book.

• Reply 138 of 139
    hill60 wrote: »

Ah yes, the cases where Motorola opened proceedings by attacking Apple and Microsoft with standards essential patents demanding FOUR BILLION EACH PER ANNUM in licensing, really?!

Of course you'll apply YOUR OWN standards to Motorola AND by extension their new owners, Google who have continued with the aggressive patent abuse begun by Moto.

Unless you are affected by what you are accusing others of, and are so blinded you can't even see it.

dude your missing the point. Im pointing out that immaculate apple's record has stains on it after all. They did the same thing Samsung did. They all do!! Based on your logic in this case, on the motorola vs. apple case you will be in favor of Motorola. Will you be?? Sammy screwed apple and apple screwed motorola right??? It's the same thing!!!