Samsung says verdict is not an Apple win, but a 'loss for the American consumer' [u]

Comments

• Reply 121 of 167
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

Can I upgrade my Samsung phone to the latest version of Android? No? Why not? You said you were good for consumers, right?

Can I upgrade my 3GS and 4 to a version of iOS that has all the new bells and whistles? I guess that is good for consumers as well, right?

• Reply 122 of 167
    lmaclmac Posts: 206member

It is totally a loss for the American consumer who likes cheaper knockoffs of the quality original. That much is true. If it wasn't true, there wouldn't be WalMart, fake Rolexes and fake Gucci handbags. But innovation? Really? Samsung's only innovation is being the best at ripping off Apple's designs.

• Reply 123 of 167

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

True, but I'm disappointed that the jury fell for Samsung's silly Fidler patent nonsense.

At least Apple's patent wasn't invalidated, right?

Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Have you ever looked at the chips inside your iPhone?

Yeah, it's a… wait for it… EXACT COPY of the PLANS sent to them from APPLE, who DESIGNED the chip.

Sounds like following instructions like a toddler is right up Samsung's alley. I've no complaints with them doing that exclusively for the rest of their existence. They'll be putting that copying to good use for a change.

I guess that is good for consumers as well, right?

Look, you're tired, you've just had all of your arguments legally invalidated and mocked, take a break and come back with some fresh material. Be better than all the others who just trip over their own legs and scream "Apple will lose marketshare just you wait" like slapppy. 

• Reply 124 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

At least Apple's patent wasn't invalidated, right?

Yeah, it's a… wait for it… EXACT COPY of the PLANS sent to them from APPLE, who DESIGNED the chip.

Sounds like following instructions like a toddler is right up Samsung's alley. I've no complaints with them doing that exclusively for the rest of their existence. They'll be putting that copying to good use for a change.

Look, you're tired, you've just had all of your arguments legally invalidated and mocked, take a break and come back with some fresh material. Be better than all the others who just trip over their own legs and scream "Apple will lose marketshare just you wait" like slapppy. 

What the hell are you talking about? "Legally invalidated"? I stated that the chips are made by Samsung. Apple simply couldn't exist without Samsung right now. How has that been legally invalidated?

• Reply 125 of 167

I stated that the chips are made by Samsung. Apple simply couldn't exist without Samsung right now.

That wasn't at all the context in which you were posting.

• Reply 126 of 167

Time for your medicine Fandroids, get ready for WIndows phones all around...bwahahahahahaha

• Reply 127 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Am I the only one who hates the Samesung, Samscum, Scamsung, et al. comments. 

No, you are not.

• Reply 128 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by kikkO View Post

The answer should have been, what have Koreans innovated? Throughout history they've copied, just ask their neighbor Japan.

Very interesting movie. I had no clue about history of Korea. Thx.

• Reply 129 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Am I the only one who hates the Samesung, Samscum, Scamsung, et al. comments. I guess I just don't see it as clever or original to use these well worn puns. I'd rather see something original even if the attempt at being funny or clever failed, or a cogent argument as to why they are scummy, copyists.

Samsunk anyone?

OK, the first time, it's funny. But when it is systematically repeated, it becomes boring. 

• Reply 130 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Obviously the jury didn't fall for Samsung's complete over simplification. This was about a lot more than "rounded rectangles". Samsung's lawyers aren't that obtuse but they were assuming the jury was. They assumed wrong.

True, but I'm disappointed that the jury fell for Samsung's silly Fidler patent nonsense.

I'm not sure it's only because of Fidler. Maybe they wanted to leave room for innovations with this form-factor for tablets? And they use the Fidler's pretext? Did the jury commented its decision? 

• Reply 131 of 167

Yes it is a loss for companies that are not creative and need to steal other companies designs and intellectual property in order to try to compete in the tech industry. It's just a crying shame that they now have to pay. I'm really going to lose sleep over this.

• Reply 132 of 167
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Apple's inspiration for the lawsuit was a bowl of water... a bowl of cold water thrown in Samsung's face.

• Reply 133 of 167
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    lamewing wrote: »
    What the hell are you talking about? "Legally invalidated"? I stated that the chips are made by Samsung. Apple simply couldn't exist without Samsung right now. How has that been legally invalidated?

Incorrect. Apple could have made someone else make ARM chips and other components for them. There might be some sacrifices, but they'd have access to the same alternatives as everyone else. And Apple could certainly exist even if the iPhone and iPad had never been created.
    mac512 wrote: »
    I'm not sure it's only because of Fidler. Maybe they wanted to leave room for innovations with this form-factor for tablets? And they use the Fidler's pretext? Did the jury commented its decision? 

That doesn't really add up. The Tab looks more like the iPad (particularly when you consider packaging) than their phones look like the iPhone. If the jury wanted to give them leeway, it would probably have been on the phones - unless they bought the prior art nonsense

They didn't specifically cite the reason (nor would they be expected to), so I can only speculate that Fidler had a lot to do with it. Eventually, some of the jurors will probably talk to the press so you 'll get a better idea.
    lamewing wrote: »
    Can I upgrade my 3GS and 4 to a version of iOS that has all the new bells and whistles? I guess that is good for consumers as well, right?

Well, yes. iOS 5.1.1 runs just fine on a 3GS:
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20069641-1/how-well-does-ios-5-run-on-iphone-3gs/
    "We've been running iOS5 on a iPhone 3GS for the last 24 hours and have had no problems with it. It runs smoothly and the experience doesn't seem noticeably different from running iOS4. We'll let you know if we encounter any bugs as they come along, but for now it seems safe to say iOS5 works fine on the 3GS."

Now, there might be a few features that won't run due to the age of the hardware, but iOS 5 runs just fine on a 3GS-and that hardware is several years old.

In contrast, even a brand new Android phone may never run even today's version of Android, much less future versions.

Thanks for proving the point.
  • Reply 134 of 167

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Apple's inspiration for the lawsuit was a bowl of water... a bowl of cold water thrown in Samsung's face.

Samsung should be thankful. Microsoft only got a glass of ice water… 

• Reply 135 of 167

"should not be viewed as a win for Apple, but as a loss for the American consumer."

Somebody call the Wambulance.  Boo Hoo.   Like I said in the other post Samscum is just butt hurt for the reaming they got at the hands of a jury who saw them for the liars they are.

• Reply 136 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by amoradala View Post

"It is unfortunate that patent law can be manipulated to give one company a monopoly over rounded corners and rectangles."

What incredible arrogance and ignorance.

A disgusting company !

To Samsung, and those that believe "design" can't be copied or stolen I present:

• Reply 137 of 167
    ecsecs Posts: 307member

I care very little about these legal wars between big companies. Today they do a big show, like if they were playing the World Cup final or something. Tomorrow they forget the match, they come to a intellectual property agreement, and it's like if nothing happened.

The current IP system clearly protects big companies. Intelectual property was created to protect the small businesses, as well as individual inventors with little resources. However, it ended up working in the opposite direction.

• Reply 138 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecs View Post

I care very little about these legal wars between big companies. Today they do a big show, like if they were playing the World Cup final or something. Tomorrow they forget the match, they come to a intellectual property agreement, and it's like if nothing happened.

The current IP system clearly protects big companies. Intelectual property was created to protect the small businesses, as well as individual inventors with little resources. However, it ended up working in the opposite direction.

So you have no problem with the car above?

• Reply 139 of 167
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

So you have no problem with the car above?

Well, it's a little ostentatious and boat like, but as a present I wouldn't complain.

• Reply 140 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, it's a little ostentatious and boat like, but as a present I wouldn't complain.

hahahah

But wouldn't you? Look at it again.