New Apple retail VP John Browett planned to cut jobs to raise profits

Comments

• Reply 201 of 223
    You must have been in a store recently. It's already happening
  • Reply 202 of 223

Quote:

Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Agreed, can't think of a more ignorant statement. "...even if the customer experience is compromised."  Really?!!!  If he doesn't get fired for this he'll have dodged a huge bullet.

Corporate politics are a fickle thing, but let no bad VP send Apple's vaunted retail experience into the shitter. It sounds like Browett was overruled, but you know that's got to rub the other VPs the wrong way. Hopefully, Tim will come around and dump this guy, quickly.

• Reply 203 of 223
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    Edit: Too Heated
  • Reply 204 of 223
    Employees haven't been told anything.....
  • Reply 205 of 223
    Employees haven't been told anything.....

Standard management techniques from the rubbish bigbox retail chains (except original Apple Retail under Ron J etc). Keep 'em in the dark and feed 'em nonsense ... works for mushrooms, they reckon it will work for retail employees.
  • Reply 206 of 223
    maclvr03maclvr03 Posts: 198member

If Jobs was still alive this guy would first of never have been hired and if he had got in he'd be out FAST.  This is what makes Apple great, great customer service. "even if the customer experience is compromised."  scary.

• Reply 207 of 223
    Bingo.
  • Reply 208 of 223

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

That maybe true, but isn't this clown a Brit?

Yes, a Brit.  You know the Brits of course. Easy with their dispensing of contempt of America, but who got plenty of help from the "fucktards" twice in the 20th century in order not to end up speaking German.  And let us not forget their technological accomplishments like Lucas Self-Extinguishing headlights, and Norton motorcycles, each and every one of which was equipped with a self-lubricating garage floor.

• Reply 209 of 223

People like Apple because Apple values THEIR efficiency.  Apple avoids taking shortcuts when shortcuts make your life more complicated, when they waste YOUR time, when they make your life uglier.

And you pay for this, but what you pay is usually less than the value of the time Apple saves you.  That's a good bargain.

Hiring someone that doesn't absolutely worship that philosophy was a serious mistake.

• Reply 210 of 223

Bean counter thinking cannot appreciate intangibles.  

"We've decided we can save 78 cents by eliminating that lit apple logo from the lid of your MacBook.  Please, hold your applause!"

• Reply 211 of 223
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member

Quote:

Originally Posted by albeit View Post

Bean counter thinking cannot appreciate intangibles.  

"We've decided we can save 78 cents by eliminating that lit apple logo from the lid of your MacBook.  Please, hold your applause!"

I heard a story about a major US airline. Some new bean-counter was appointed, and he discovered that the salad part of in-flight meals contained two olives. He calculated that reducing that to one olive per salad would save the multi-billion dollar company $85,000 a year, so it was done. Passengers? Phah! Oscar Wilde got it right with his definition of a cynic as "Someone who knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing".

• Reply 212 of 223
    dmanndmann Posts: 1member

This puts things into perspective, in a big way.

• Reply 213 of 223
    If this guy is let go within the next few months, then we know what happened. If it was just a total screwup, well, maybe...... er.......... not really. This guy came from a Best Buy save a nickel and screw the customer company.

Why Cook hired him is just a wonder.....

Ok, Jan 2013, we will see.

en
  • Reply 214 of 223
    Yup, only one year, and the quality of Apple management is already being diluted with B players. Apple should put him in charge of the design team. He could recommend cheaper components like plastic body casings and lower resolution screens as I am sure they are cheaper...

OH and even better, he should recommend cuts in R&D. This will surely show some short term gains in profits.

Now if somehow they were able to use holograms or even robots to replace the personnel, then I'd say he's thinking Apple like. But really... really?
  • Reply 215 of 223
    Mr Browett:
    What planet did you come from? Apparently you are an alien life form at best. I have an engineering degree and an MBA and even I know what to do to improve the Apple / Customer experience. You are clueless. The Board of Directors might consider lowering your salary by a substantial amount, link your compensation to pay for performance, and link your bonus to the components you affect on a long term basis. In other words if you are successful in what you do for the next 3 years and do not negatively impact Apple, then you will get your bonus 3 years later. In other words, if you do a good job and it is effective you are rewarded. If not , you don't get a reward - you get a penalty and the boot out the door with lead boots instead of a golden parachute. It is not all about pencil whipping the bottom line to look better; it is about being better - the money or profits will follow automatically.

You are an embarrassment.
  • Reply 216 of 223
    When I read about his being hired I could not believe it. Anyone who has shopped in a Dixon's store knows that it is a miserable experience.

Tim Cook may have been impressed with Browett's supply chain management but that is not what he was hired to do at Apple.
  • Reply 217 of 223
    When I read about his being hired I could not believe it. Anyone who has shopped in a Dixon's store knows that it is a miserable experience.

Tim Cook may have been impressed with Browett's supply chain management but that is not what he was hired to do at Apple.
  • Reply 218 of 223
    This guy's experience is all you need to know. He's run discount retailers like Wal-Mart. It seems to me the Apple stores are so successful because the shopping experience is the OPPOSITE of a Wal-Mart. It really disappoints me that Apple would hire this guy. If this is any indication for how decisions are being made at Apple, I fear for the future. How about instead of just rethinking the staffing idea, they rethink the hiring of this executive idea. There's still time to undo that decision!
  • Reply 219 of 223
    rlowerlowe Posts: 21member

If Steve was still the boss, he would fired both Cook and Browett, seriously.

• Reply 220 of 223
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rlowe wrote: »
    If Steve was still the boss, he would fired both Cook and Browett, seriously.

It's a good thing we have you with a crystal ball to tell use what Steve is thinking beyond the ether.