Apple's 7.85-inch iPad will in fact be named 'iPad mini' - report

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple's still-unannounced smaller iPad, which has been referred to in the media as the "iPad mini," will in fact use that name when the product launches in October, according to a new report.

Though it will be known as the iPad mini, only the name "iPad" will be printed on the back, much like various iPod models only say "iPod," according to a source who spoke with Macotakara. The 7.85-inch iPad is rumored to feature the same 1,024-by-768-pixel resolution display as the currently available iPad 2, but at a size smaller than the regular iPad's 9.7-inch display.

An apparent confirmation of the iPad mini name comes as news also broke on Saturday that Apple will hold a media event in October to introduce the new, smaller iPad. That event is expected to be held just weeks after Apple introduces its next-generation iPhone on Sept. 12.

Macotakara's report on Saturday also claimed that Apple is planning to introduce a new iPod nano and iPod touch later this year. In particular, the new iPod nano "may equip" a Wi-Fi antenna in order to make content from iTunes available wirelessly.

The same site reported in July that Apple's next iPod nano could be like a small iPhone, with a rectangular touchscreen and a home button. That report also said that it would feature a dedicated built-in iTunes service.

iPad mini Mockup
Mockup of alleged "iPad mini." | Source: iMore

Finally, as for the new iPod touch, Saturday's report made note of a "mysterious hole" found beside the rear-facing iSight camera on leaked components of the device. The same feature has also been seen on purported parts for the iPad mini and next-generation iPhone.

Author "danbo" speculated that the hole could be for near-field communications technology, which would suggest that the new iPod touch could also allow e-wallet style functionality.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 213
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

I wonder if the number of "guaranteed" rumors about this thing is greater or less than the number of "guaranteed" rumors about the iPhone nano…

• Reply 2 of 213

What's the DPI of the iPad mini?

• Reply 3 of 213

A shame they're not going with iPad Air, as John Gruber theorized. It's a nice extension of the brand. 

• Reply 4 of 213

• Reply 5 of 213

Originally Posted by marcusj0015 View Post

What's the DPI of the iPad mini?

• Reply 6 of 213

@marcus Not sure, but I have a hard time believing Apple would introduce a new form factor ipad that isn't using a retina display.

• Reply 7 of 213
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Forbes View Post

A shame they're not going with iPad Air, as John Gruber theorized. It's a nice extension of the brand. 

That's a terrible name.

iPad mini is much better, because it sounds cuter, it sounds more obvious, and the smaller iPad will indeed look cute. 

There's no need to confuse people and combine the "air" name with "iPad. The Macbook Air is a laptop of course, and the iPad is a tablet. 

Those confused people who claim to want both, should just go out and buy a terrible product like the Asus Transformer Prime.

• Reply 8 of 213

OK - we have the IPHONE 5, IPAD Tiny, how about Mac Book Pro 13" everyone mentioned here OR 15" Airs - Need computers for my 5th graders - 13" air is a bit small .. would go w/ the 15" .. or maybe the 13" Mac Pros we discussed here around a month ago.

Anyone here hear about 13" Mac Pro Laptops .. OR bigger 15" airs?

By the Way - HOORAY  for American Justice - Jury rocks - without this SJ verdict - all American engineering, science (pharma) was at risk. SIGNAL TO ASIA- PARTICULARLY KOREA - YOU WILL LOSE IF YOU STEAL OUR TECHNOLOGY OR PHARMA - OR AUTO DESIGNS. DO YOUR OWN (which they are not good at, we are).

• Reply 8 of 213
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Don't be sloppy, it's 163.057!

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyuestateplanninglawyer View Post

YOU WILL LOSE IF YOU STEAL OUR  AUTO DESIGNS. DO YOUR OWN (which they are not good at, we are).

Since when?

• Reply 10 of 213
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/152133/apples-7-85-inch-ipad-will-in-fact-be-named-ipad-mini-report#post_2175784"]There's no need to confuse people and combine the "air" name with "iPad. The Macbook Air is a laptop of course, and the iPad is a tablet. 

Mini also refers to a Mac.
  • Reply 11 of 213
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    smalm wrote: »
    Don't be sloppy, it's 163.057!

No, it's not.

7.85 inches has 3 significant figures, so the correct answer is 163.
  • Reply 12 of 213
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbrided View Post

@marcus Not sure, but I have a hard time believing Apple would introduce a new form factor ipad that isn't using a retina display.

If they are going to price this puppy competitively to compete at around the $199 level they will have to skimp on a few bits and pieces. It will be entry level. Otherwise it might cannibalize the iPad 3 sales if the specs are too good.

• Reply 13 of 213
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Mini also refers to a Mac.

Yes, and to iPod also.

• Reply 14 of 213
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member

More news out now than ever before about upcoming Apple products. I recall that Tim Cook mentioned just recently at an Earnings conference call that Apple was going to 'double down on secrecy'.

So why all the leaks etc. Normally Apple wouldn't want to give the competition any info either.

Just doesn't make sense unless alot of the info is bogus.

• Reply 15 of 213

Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

…Tim Cook mentioned just recently at an Earnings conference call that Apple was going to 'double down on secrecy'. So why all the leaks etc. Normally Apple wouldn't want to give the competition any info either.

???????????

Though I agree; we've really not seen anything from the smaller iPad. I'd love for it to be true that it's not real.

• Reply 16 of 213

So iPad Air is good!

• Reply 17 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I wonder if the number of "guaranteed" rumors about this thing is greater or less than the number of "guaranteed" rumors about the iPhone nano…

Time to eat your hat is coming up, Tally boy !!

What is it going to be? A beret, a stetson, a fedora, a sombrero, a deerstalker, or a beanie?  Let us know which one you are planning to eat, OK?

• Reply 18 of 213
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    sarcasm... mysterious hole ? LOL "gl*ry hole"... LOL
  • Reply 19 of 213

Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Time to eat your hat is coming up, Tally boy !!

What is it going to be? A beret, a stetson, a fedora, a sombrero, a deerstalker, or a beanie?  Let us know which one you are planning to eat, OK?

None. So stop this crap. I won't be saying one word apologetic or inversely or anything if one is released. I don't have to. There's no social or moral obligation to apologize for thinking a terrible idea is a terrible idea. I'm certainly no longer certain that there won't be one, I'm just certain it's a useless product. 

No one ate any hats when the iPhone nano never happened. That's that.

• Reply 20 of 213
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

Makes sense. Maybe the iPod Touch should be called the iPad Nano.

(Or, maybe the Touch should be called the iPod Nano Max? No... the iPod Nano should be called the iPad Nano Nano.)