Apple's 7.85-inch iPad will in fact be named 'iPad mini' - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Makes sense. Maybe the iPod Touch should be called the iPad Nano.

(Or, maybe the Touch should be called the iPod Nano Max? No... the iPod Nano should be called the iPad Nano Nano.)

NO! The iPod touch will continue to be called the iPod touch. I guarantee it.

• Reply 22 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

None. So stop this crap. I won't be saying one word apologetic or inversely or anything if one is released. I don't have to. There's no social or moral obligation to apologize for thinking a terrible idea is a terrible idea. I'm certainly no longer certain that there won't be one, I'm just certain it's a useless product. 

No one ate any hats when the iPhone nano never happened. That's that.

C'mon !! You didn't just say that it was a terrible idea.  You said that it was never going to happen.  

So, let's see.  A rastacap, a porkpie, or a slouch maybe?  A planter's hat, a patrol cap, or a panama? Oh, I know.  A dunce cap !!

And, about the iPhone nano.  You can never say never.  Can you?

• Reply 23 of 213
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

C'mon !! You didn't just say that it was a terrible idea.  You said that it was never going to happen.  

I did. I've changed my mind since. It was that orange mold fill that did it.

Oh, I know.  A dunce cap !!

Once again, come off it. I'm certain you've been sure of things that were utterly ludicrous before. 

And, about the iPhone nano.  You can never say never.  Can you?

Can and will. Until I see another orange mold fill, that is. This Universe operates differently than others.

• Reply 24 of 213
    jb510jb510 Posts: 129member
    I heard they'll also finally release a 13" iPad Pro that includes FireWire and an optical drive.
  • Reply 25 of 213

Originally Posted by jb510 View Post

…a 13" iPad…

As facetious as you're being, I'd love one of these.

Tablets are only gonna get bigger!

• Reply 26 of 213

Quote:

I did. I've changed my mind since. It was that orange mold fill that did it.

Once again, come off it. I'm certain you've been sure of things that were utterly ludicrous before. 

Can and will. Until I see another orange mold fill, that is. This Universe operates differently than others.

Relax, Tally !!

As someone (Churchill, Keynes, Samuelson?) responded once, "When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir"?

You are allowed to change your mind.

• Reply 27 of 213
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

If they are going to price this puppy competitively to compete at around the $199 level they will have to skimp on a few bits and pieces. It will be entry level. Otherwise it might cannibalize the iPad 3 sales if the specs are too good.

That is what I am afraid of. I want one that is every bit as powerful and full featured as my iPad 3, just smaller

• Reply 28 of 213
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member

Quote:

None. So stop this crap. I won't be saying one word apologetic or inversely or anything if one is released. I don't have to. There's no social or moral obligation to apologize for thinking a terrible idea is a terrible idea. I'm certainly no longer certain that there won't be one, I'm just certain it's a useless product. 

You don't have to apologize for anything.  But it's a great idea, will be a very useful product and will sell very well.

• Reply 29 of 213

Well at least this will wash all the bottom feeders out of the 7in market in a big hurry; c'ya Kindle Fire. Love the smaller bezel too. Only thing I probably wouldn't do with it is Netflix / videos - letterboxing at 7in? No Thanks.

• Reply 30 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

NO! The iPod touch will continue to be called the iPod touch. I guarantee it.

No, thats ridiculous. Have you forgotten that even now it's not called the iPod Touch...the Android trolls still call it the iTouch!

• Reply 31 of 213
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Mini also refers to a Mac.

There's a difference.

In the case of the iPod, 'iPod' is the device name and 'Mini' is the descriptor.

In the case of the Mac, 'Mac' is the device name and 'Mini is the descriptor.

In the case of the iPad, 'iPad' is the device name and 'Mini would be the descriptor.

Now, 'Air' is also used as a descriptor, but only in the case of the MacBook - when the meaning of 'air' is clear. It's not so clear that an 8" iPad Mini would be all that much lighter than an iPad, other than the 40% reduction in size, so 'Air' isn't as good a descriptor. Now, if they were to release one that was less than half of the weight of the 10" iPad, then 'Air' might make sense.
  • Reply 32 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by diplication View Post

No, thats ridiculous. Have you forgotten that even now it's not called the iPod Touch...the Android trolls still call it the iTouch!

OMG that makes me so mad. Some people I know call it the iTouch and it pisses me off.

• Reply 33 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

OMG that makes me so mad. Some people I know call it the iTouch and it pisses me off.

Nah, it makes it easy.  Whenever someone says iTouch , you can go ahead and ignore anything they have say,  If they can't get the name right, what are the chances they get the stuff right that actually requires thinking?

• Reply 34 of 213
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Rather than try and compete with the $199 price point (leave that to Amazon and Google) Apple should make this product better spec and feature wise so they can sell it at say, $299. Better quality product people will be willing to pay for. But if they skimp and still try to sell it at $249 or $299 I think it could be a dud.
  • Reply 35 of 213
    Quote:

There's no social or moral obligation to apologize for thinking a terrible idea is a terrible idea. I'm certainly no longer certain that there won't be one, I'm just certain it's a useless product.

Why is it such a terrible idea? You keep saying it's a terrible idea, but you never explain why.

• Reply 36 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbrided View Post

@marcus Not sure, but I have a hard time believing Apple would introduce a new form factor ipad that isn't using a retina display.

The retina display is the most expensive component.  Plus it will be heavier and thicker due to battery.  So if Apple wants it at $200 and it to be lightweight and have long battery then retina is not an option.

• Reply 37 of 213

Originally Posted by RealMan View Post

Why is it such a terrible idea? You keep saying it's a terrible idea, but you never explain why.

A smaller iPad would be worse at everything the iPad can do. Lower resolution, shorter battery life, slower processor, worse graphics, gimped connectivity, and we're hearing it might have a plastic back. The only benefit, if you can call it that, is that it's smaller. Big whoop.

People say, 'portability'. You can't put this thing in a pocket. You have to carry it around in a hand, just like you would a regular iPad, only this one is so small that it barely justifies carrying it around in that manner. "So they put it in their purse," they say. So Apple's supposed to make a product only for women? I mean no disrespect to men who carry purses, but come on. That's not a valid reason to make a product.

People say, 'cost'. That's why the iPad 2 is still for sale. In seven more months, the iPad 2 will be $299. That kills every other tablet on the market right now, even more so than the 70+% shipment and 95% use of the iPad over other tablets already does. Cost is the reason the iPhone 4 and 3GS are still for sale. They fill the low-end gap that the "iPhone nano" was imagined to fill without making compromises in the way of features like a smaller simultaneous iPad would. 

People say, 'usability'. I say, "Yes, lessened." Size-wise it comes out to, what, about half the size of the iPad. Cut an iPad in half and that's about what a 7" one would be, right? And let's assume the "thinner side bezel" bit is true. That drops at least one way of holding it in landscape and nearly every comfortable way in portrait. But even if there's a uniform bezel, it's going to be just large enough to not be graspable (not holdable, graspable) with a single hand. The size (specifically width) makes it psychologically close enough to a phone that people'll desire to hold it like one. And when they can't, there'll be trouble. And this whole bit has just been about hardware; imagine the keyboard on this thing. No ten finger typing for anyone, no sir. Not even children. 

• Reply 38 of 213
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Wonder if Tallest Skil is on suicide watch.

EDIT: ****, he doesn't stop. You've parroted ALL THAT STUFF countless times. Why do you need to keep repeating it, as if you're imparting some new insight on everyone? Just don't buy the damn thing. Meanwhile, Apple will sell a shitload, it will getgreat reviews, consumers will buy it in the hundreds of millions, and theywill love it. Nothing else matters. Apple will not release a piece of crap product. The current iPad size will always be available. Your constant bitching is so pointless.
  • Reply 39 of 213

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Wonder if Tallest Skil is on suicide watch.

Haven't been reading the thread, eh? And what idiot would actually commit suicide?

• Reply 40 of 213

I got an iPad for my daughter. Personally, I lug a 7" Samsung Tab around in a special "gun belt" or just a bigger pocket. It works as a phone, too, and is just perfect for me and my local but often remote activity.

For all I care, the iPad mini could cost up to $1000 with a Retina display and phone capabilities.