Apple 'confirmed' to hold iPad mini event in October

Comments

• Reply 21 of 111
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think they will just call it iPad. We don't have different names for 11" and 13" Air or 13" and 15" MBP. Of course then what would the size reference be for this new iPad? 7" or 8" or 7.84"?

I don't think that they will just call it an iPad, as iPads are much more of a generic appliance product than their laptops. A grandmother is not going to walk into Best Buy and ask for an iPad 7.85", but they will walk in and buy an iPad mini with no problems. Either way, we'll find out for sure in October, according to the "rumors" at least.

• Reply 22 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I like iPad Air.  ...to get a much thinner and lighter device.

iPad Air...is that the one with wings?

• Reply 23 of 111
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by diplication View Post

I don't get it...

• Reply 24 of 111
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

I don't get it...

Feminine stuff.

• Reply 25 of 111

Quote:

I don't get it...

Obviously you don't watch an excessive amount of tv like I do, otherwise you too would be overwhelmed by feminine product commercials.  Hey, when they originally named it the iPad, you knew these jokes were coming. (notice that I didn't say "good" jokes)

• Reply 26 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by diplication View Post

lolz

• Reply 27 of 111

Please tell me it's not true. I really don't think that there is a place for iPad Mini. It is a lame format size - unless if it is strictly for eBook purpose or a giant universal remote control for different things. Though I do think they are targeting for a family where mom and dad already has the iPad and kids wants one for themselves and it is targeted for them and that is why it is right before Christmas! Now that I think about it! Go for it Apple! I portfolio is just waiting to get another bump after the one we are going to get on Monday!

• Reply 28 of 111
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

So it's confirmed it's still a rumor?

Good stuff!

• Reply 29 of 111

Quote:

So it's confirmed it's still a rumor?

Good stuff!

Someone finally gets it right. There is no such thing as a 'confirmed rumor'

• Reply 30 of 111
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    radster360 wrote: »
    Please tell me it's not true. I really don't think that there is a place for iPad Mini. It is a lame format size - unless if it is strictly for eBook purpose or a giant universal remote control for different things. Though I do think they are targeting for a family where mom and dad already has the iPad and kids wants one for themselves and it is targeted for them and that is why it is right before Christmas! Now that I think about it! Go for it Apple! I portfolio is just waiting to get another bump after the one we are going to get on Monday!

If they pick the right size, it shouldn't be too bad. Here's an 8" Android tablet that is styled a lot like the iPad and it gives a good idea of what to expect:

[VIDEO]

Very child- and purse-friendly in size I'd say.
  • Reply 31 of 111
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member

Quote:

Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

Someone finally gets it right. There is no such thing as a 'confirmed rumor'

Sure, but we can judge quality of sources and how willing they are to say things outright.  The tone of referenced article makes me think that he's gotten off the record confirmation from someone at Apple, so he's not at liberty to just come right out and say "Apple told me."  This allows Apple to maintain its aura of not commenting on unreleased products while sending stronger than usual signals to the market to hold off on choosing a 7" tablet till we see what Apple has up its sleeve.

We've all seen the rumor mill at work, and noticed how many of these "sure things" don't pan out.  But if you go back and look, the false leads don't typically take the form of someone with as much to lose in credibility as Paczkowski to flatly state "confirmed" and that "sources say"  "it's so."  There's no wiggle room in that level of confirmation, no "I'm told that it's likely" or "sources indicate" or "what I'm hearing."  Just, yes, absolutely, done deal.  So unless he has some pretty damn solid leads I don't think he'd go that far out on a limb.

• Reply 32 of 111

personally i'd rather see them drop the price of the 10 inch and add a 13 or 15 inch ipad

i use it to read lots of pdfs and mags and i'd rather have a larger screen...

• Reply 33 of 111
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

If they pick the right size, it shouldn't be too bad. Here's an 8" Android tablet that is styled a lot like the iPad and it gives a good idea of what to expect:Very child- and purse-friendly in size I'd say.

I had the earlier iPad and now iPad 3 and they are fine for home but I never take them with me when on the go because they are too big. I take mass transit to work and carry a small-ish backpack. Almost all the men onboard are carrying some attache or bag of some sort or another so it is not just for purses. All the kids are carrying backpacks to school too. The full size iPad is a little too big and heavy for many small backpacks. The fact that the new mini is not going to be pocketable only means that it is simply not part of the design or target market. I don't think that will affect its success one bit. I expect it to sell very well.

• Reply 34 of 111
    mac512mac512 Posts: 37member

Quote:

Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

I don't get it too... iPad mini = iPod maxi ? Are they giving up the iPod and filling the gap with an iPad?

• Reply 35 of 111
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I like Air the best but I do think Mini is most likely despite Mini making it sound small and Air making it sound lightweight.

It's currently used on only one product by Apple. That's it! Nothing more! It doesn't mean that no product could possibly use it if Apple's marketing felt it was the best name for the product.

Well, I think you sort of countered your own point right there.

The Air was the appropriate name for that product, to differentiate it from other laptops, which were so much heavier at that time.

In the case of iPad, its weight has never been a weakness, so touting the iPad mini in that respect doesn't stress its improvement, or anything unique about it.

I always also sort of thought that the "Air" designation, aside from weight, was intended to mark its departure from physical media,

Apple's continuing direction,

and, in that respect, the two sizes of iPad are not different,

so, again, to me at least, calling it the iPad Air doesn't speak to its "nature" the way MacBook Air does.

• Reply 36 of 111
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Well, I think you sort of countered your own point right there.

The Air was the appropriate name for that product, to differentiate it from other laptops, which were so much heavier at that time.

In the case of iPad, its weight has never been a weakness, so touting the iPad mini in that respect doesn't stress its improvement, or anything unique about it.

I always also sort of thought that the "Air" designation, aside from weight, was intended to mark its departure from physical media,

Apple's continuing direction,

and, in that respect, the two sizes of iPad are not different,

so, again, to me at least, calling it the iPad Air doesn't speak to its "nature" the way MacBook Air does.

Those are pretty good points.  I like Gruber's reasoning on this, however, that it's possible that an 8" iPad will be noticeably thinner and lighter than the existing model.  Enough so that Apple might want to foreground those attributes with the "Air" designator, implying (as in the case of the laptop) that you're trading some stuff (screen size, resolution) for super portability.  You're right, there can't be the differential that exists between laptops, but perhaps the story Apple wants to tell is that an iPad Air is insanely portable, which makes up for the fact that it's a tad cramped.

Note that these kind of tradeoffs don't apply to the other "Mini" products in Apple's lineup-- the Mac Mini has exactly the same (potential) screen real estate as every other Mac and portability doesn't apply, while the iPod simply shrank the enclosure and switched to flash memory while giving nothing up in terms of display.  The only directly analogous product that trades screen size for weight and thinness is the MacBook Air.

• Reply 37 of 111

Quote:

Sure, but we can judge quality of sources and how willing they are to say things outright.  The tone of referenced article makes me think that he's gotten off the record confirmation from someone at Apple, so he's not at liberty to just come right out and say "Apple told me."  This allows Apple to maintain its aura of not commenting on unreleased products while sending stronger than usual signals to the market to hold off on choosing a 7" tablet till we see what Apple has up its sleeve.

We've all seen the rumor mill at work, and noticed how many of these "sure things" don't pan out.  But if you go back and look, the false leads don't typically take the form of someone with as much to lose in credibility as Paczkowski to flatly state "confirmed" and that "sources say"  "it's so."  There's no wiggle room in that level of confirmation, no "I'm told that it's likely" or "sources indicate" or "what I'm hearing."  Just, yes, absolutely, done deal.  So unless he has some pretty damn solid leads I don't think he'd go that far out on a limb.

Well yes, but I can interpretate it different ways.

• Reply 38 of 111
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I wonder if they think it's iPhone+iPods and iPad or iPhone and iPad+iPods…

Maybe the iPods should have a third event in November.

Or each iPod can get its own event.

September: iPhone

October: iPad mini

November: iPod touch

December: iPod nano

January: iPod shuffle

February: real iPad

March: real iPad ships

April: iPod nano mini

May: iPod shuffle mini

June: iPhone nano (WE WERE ALWAYS RIGHT)

July: iPad mini mini

August: iPad mini (not iPad mini, but regular iPad mini, iPad mini)

September: iPhone 4 again, because numbers.

If they do have 2 separate events there probably will be a few "one more thing" type products. Maybe we'll see that $200 prepaid iPhone at the iPhone event and the 13 inch Retina Macbook at the iPad event?

iPods for the most part are almost not news worthy unless we see a true iPod Nano Watch concept that beats all the others.

• Reply 39 of 111
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Those are pretty good points.  I like Gruber's reasoning on this, however, that it's possible that an 8" iPad will be noticeably thinner and lighter than the existing model.  Enough so that Apple might want to foreground those attributes with the "Air" designator, implying (as in the case of the laptop) that you're trading some stuff (screen size, resolution) for super portability.  You're right, there can't be the differential that exists between laptops, but perhaps the story Apple wants to tell is that an iPad Air is insanely portable, which makes up for the fact that it's a tad cramped.

Note that these kind of tradeoffs don't apply to the other "Mini" products in Apple's lineup-- the Mac Mini has exactly the same (potential) screen real estate as every other Mac and portability doesn't apply, while the iPod simply shrank the enclosure and switched to flash memory while giving nothing up in terms of display.  The only directly analogous product that trades screen size for weight and thinness is the MacBook Air.

That makes a lot of sense, but if they market the "Air" as more portable wouldn't that imply that the bigger model is not portable? I mean the iPad's main selling feature is its portability and ease of use over a laptop.

If it's marketed as a Mini it'll be seen as everything the big iPad is except in a smaller form factor. That might be better from a marketing standpoint for both iPads

• Reply 40 of 111
    ewanewan Posts: 36member

Nothing here is "confirmed" until invitations are sent out by Apple.