Future Apple Hardware Predictions

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Somebody has been busy!

I'm not sure where you get the idea that we will be able to get 100x power efficiency increases. Sure things will improve but 100x is a bit meaningless.

As to the GPU I'm not sure it is worthwhile to pursue hot GPU performance on a cell phone. iPad yes, iPhone rather needs to focus on other issues including battery lifetimes.

The next iPod Touch comes next month, it has been far to long without an update. Further I suspect Apple will try to drive the price down on the base model to make room for the 7" device. This means reusing existing technology with a bias towards power efficiency.

I rather get the current iMac design so Apple will have to have a major change of heart before I worry about it.

This applies to the iMac too, but Apple is completely insane if they think holding off till 2013 is a good idea for these platforms. By the spring of 2013 Ivy Bridge will be rather outdated for a new PC design. In a nut shell by suggesting such a move you put your whole message into question.

They already do! Does it need updating - yes it certainly does. Does it need the bloat of MS Office and the associated bugs - absolutely not. Again your comment gringos into question your familiarity with Apple as a company and technology in general.

What overheating issues? IPad 3 runs fine and by the way has LTE.

What is the point of Widgets? Really I have them on my MBP and almost always turn to an app instead. Does iPad needed an Alarm Clock, yes but it should just be another app like on iPhone. As to calculators there are plenty of very good ones on app store, my favorite being i41CX+.

Your post and many others frankly tell me that people need to read up on NFC technology because they don't understand what it is.

Cut a lot of crap.

It is more like a combination of wild ass guesses and pointing out the obvious, isn't it?

For example it should be obvious to everyone that iOS and MacOS will continue to evolve sometimes borrowing from each other sometimes not. Hardware is a more interesting nut to crack because much of the potential for improvement comes from process shrinks which have to happen at regular intervals. We all want more capable "A" series processors but multiple things need to happen to enable that progress.

What I'd like to see hardware wise is a split between processors for cell phone sized machines and larger tablets. In this regard I'd really like to see 64 bit hardware in Apples tablets by 2013. Yeah I know some will say that is nuts but I see it as a jump that needs to happen sooner than later. We are already at 1GB of RAM in the iPad and frankly it could use more as even Apples software like Safari suffers from the lack of RAM. 64 bit offers a clean break and would set up Apple for decades of iOS leadership. I'd like to see this move before or in conjunction with the move to quad cores. This isn't so much a prediction as it is a desire not to see Apple squander their leadership like they have in the past.

As to iOS there are certainly a number of frustrations related to some of Apples design decisions but I really don't see anything better on the market for these sorts of devices. The best thing Apple could do would be to setup a common storage pool that multiple apps could access to swap data. It is a big shortcoming with current iOS apps in that it is extremely difficult to move data between apps for alternative processing. Currently Apple seems to be opposed to offering such functionality in iOS but I'd support alternative solutions. Hey I'm still waiting for an app accessible USB port with drivers for simple things like USB to RS232 converters and user install able drivers for custome USB devices.

Frankly when it comes to iOS I think Apple has covered a lot of the bases for developers, it is a surprisingly mature environment. What I'd like to see is any new hardware move to heterogeneous computing with a tightly coupled GPU. The memory manager of the GPU capable of addressing RAM fairly with the CPU. This would allow for an explosion in the capability of iOS software, remove limitations to current GPU usage and effectively speed up important parts of iOS. It is another reason to move to 64 bit as it avoids complex addressing for the GPU. While they are at it move the frame buffer onto the SoC. the goal of all of this is to increase performance while lowering power usage.

Beyond all of that iOS has a surprising number of usability and human factors issues which are surprising considering this is Apple. A prime example is trying to save a file with a new name which seems to be awkward to say the least. Another issue is importing photos into iPhoto, such an action should actually import your photos and separate them from your normal iOS photo storage. In fact Apple really bungled iPhotos on iOS if you ask me, it really should be seen as a tool to work on your photos before pushing them to the cloud. So Apple really needs to think hard about how apps are used and how they impact users across the iCloud. ICloud should be a place to put things to be shared between devices not a default storage pool, it just leads to excessive npbandwidth usage, slow apps and frustration. So if Apple is wise there will be lots of refinement in the way iOS uses iCloud. ICloud isn't a complete failure, as I use it a lot, but it is extremely frustrating to say the least.

This is a great article.

I would like to add the rumor of: "Glasses-free 3D."

I have read Apple has patents concerning this potential development as do other companies. I believe this will be commonplace in the near future.

• Reply 22 of 45
    strat09strat09 Posts: 158member

Cool man. I didn't know apple was into 3D but I was looking around patentlyapple.com and it showed some pretty neat stuff about a desktop with 3D blur and whatnot with the user interface being redesigned with 3D icons or somethinng. They also showed patents about an all glass iPod Nano with the main body being cut out, the dock and motherboard in place inside the ipod and a glass cap on top. It didn't say much about it, but it was a really cool design. And it mentioned it was made out of glass so Wifi could come out seamlessly without interferring with metal sides. It was either an iPod Nano or an iPod Classic Model. But it's hard to tell when they plan on making it, as they did get glass cutting plants back, and I assume those were aquired for making the front of the new iPhone and (possibly) the new iPod Touch.

• Reply 23 of 45
    I'll add Wristband iPod Shuffle in 2014 when Apple starts building curved logic boards and what not, batteries are already flexible and so are screens, so we'll see those happening I guess, it'll take years to come up with the techniques to build them though.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    They maybe will even build it to look like Lela's hand communicator from Futurama and we can use it like James Bond to talk over Facetime some day.
  • Reply 25 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Now, you know me. I'm the champion of saying the 7" iPad has no point. And even I think they might be dumb enough to make one. Maybe. We'll have to see.

I hope they are dumb enough because I guess I am dumb enough to want one.  

• Reply 26 of 45

I've drawn an iPod Nano with iTunes running on it. The UI ( battery and clock and status bar hide, as well as the bottom bars and the back and iTunes title hide while a user is browsing songs on the device, if the user wants to show them again all he has to do is do a "pinch" to get back to his home screen layout ( of 3 x 2) he can shake the device or press the menu button. He can also use the click wheel to navigate through the iTunes Catalog and he can flip it horizontally to display the catalog in 3D Coverflow format, with a buy option on a track if the user selects it and it is flipped to showcase the track listings. A user can preview songs by tapping on them once.

• Reply 27 of 45
    mysticmystic Posts: 514member

Apple will buy Nintendo...

• Reply 28 of 45

Apple will buy Adobe...

• Reply 29 of 45

Apple will buy Sony...

• Reply 30 of 45
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Mystic View Post

Apple will buy Nintendo/Sony/Adobe…

Better cover all the bases, eh? image

I'd like Apple to make a symbolic "bid" for Microsoft once they get enough cash to equal Microsoft's market cap. Same with Google.

• Reply 31 of 45
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strat09 View Post

I've drawn an iPod Nano with iTunes running on it. The UI ( battery and clock and status bar hide, as well as the bottom bars and the back and iTunes title hide while a user is browsing songs on the device, if the user wants to show them again all he has to do is do a "pinch" to get back to his home screen layout ( of 3 x 2) he can shake the device or press the menu button. He can also use the click wheel to navigate through the iTunes Catalog and he can flip it horizontally to display the catalog in 3D Coverflow format, with a buy option on a track if the user selects it and it is flipped to showcase the track listings. A user can preview songs by tapping on them once.

Like I said before, your concept drawings are very cool.

• Reply 32 of 45

they'll just have to figure out how to stream those live feeds with wifi over to their iPhone and iPod Touch and Macs. Rolls Out Apple TV App after Apple Releases it..........

___________________________________________ love me little,love me long!! http://www.mmolive.com/ http://www.mmohome.com/

• Reply 33 of 45

We are all going to hear more and more about Glasses-free 3D. 

• Reply 34 of 45

I agree. The world needs more 3d content without those stupid glasses.

• Reply 35 of 45

The average American consumes nearly 150 hours a month of video/TV. Real progress would reduce that amount of consumption, not increase it. What gets advertised and marketed as progress today is nothing more than complete BS! 

• Reply 36 of 45
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    The average American consumes nearly 150 hours a month of video/TV. Real progress would reduce that amount of consumption, not increase it. What gets advertised and marketed as progress today is nothing more than complete BS! 

Curious what you mean by this?
  • Reply 37 of 45
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

It is the liberal leftist agenda to turn everybody into a TV vegetable!   You are absolutely right that the spin put on this is just terrible.   What makes this even worst is that we now have people engaged in long stretches of web activity to go with al of that TV watching.    It really is pathetic.

I deal with this in part by not turning my TV on.  Of course that doesn't deal with sitting at this computer taking in my favorite web sites.   At least there is some intelligence involved in some of my web activities so the brain isn't completely vegetablized.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

• Reply 38 of 45

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It is the liberal leftist agenda to turn everybody into a TV vegetable!   You are absolutely right that the spin put on this is just terrible.   What makes this even worst is that we now have people engaged in long stretches of web activity to go with al of that TV watching.    It really is pathetic.

I deal with this in part by not turning my TV on.  Of course that doesn't deal with sitting at this computer taking in my favorite web sites.   At least there is some intelligence involved in some of my web activities so the brain isn't completely vegetablized.

Okay, let's please not make this political. We don't have to make it political at all to agree that the quality of the vast, vast majority of televised content is… pathetic. Reprehensible. 

Even the once-intelligent channels in the Discovery set have not only fallen into the pit that is "reality" TV, pandering to what people think they want, their channels now simply seem to serve as multiple outlets for their myriad shows—far too many on which to focus to be of aggregate quality. The Travel channel certainly isn't entirely travel-related anymore. The Science Channel has fallen out of science much of the time. Discovery itself is more ambiguous than ever. And HISTORY?! How is "Ice Road Truckers" HISTORY?!

We need an Apple of television. A channel that will give people what they want, not the disgusting, mindless drivel that they think they want. Someone who takes lessons from the early pioneers of the medium and also builds on the words of later ones. I've always liked that quote from Fred Rogers, "The first time I turned [on a television], I saw people angrily throwing pies in each other’s faces. I immediately vowed to use the medium for better than that." 

• Reply 39 of 45
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

It is kinda hard not to be political when discussing TV, due to the heavy bias in programming.    However that isn't really the issue being discussed here, it is the way people glue themselves to TV at the expense of their health.   I really think this is what Commodification was getting at, it is the excessive consumption of the product and more so the glorification of that usage that stinks.   The man is absolutely right in that we would be better off as a country if TV consumption was curtailed not increased.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Okay, let's please not make this political. We don't have to make it political at all to agree that the quality of the vast, vast majority of televised content is… pathetic. Reprehensible. 

Even the once-intelligent channels in the Discovery set have not only fallen into the pit that is "reality" TV, pandering to what people think they want, their channels now simply seem to serve as multiple outlets for their myriad shows—far too many on which to focus to be of aggregate quality. The Travel channel certainly isn't entirely travel-related anymore. The Science Channel has fallen out of science much of the time. Discovery itself is more ambiguous than ever. And HISTORY?! How is "Ice Road Truckers" HISTORY?!

We need an Apple of television. A channel that will give people what they want, not the disgusting, mindless drivel that they think they want. Someone who takes lessons from the early pioneers of the medium and also builds on the words of later ones. I've always liked that quote from Fred Rogers, "The first time I turned [on a television], I saw people angrily throwing pies in each other’s faces. I immediately vowed to use the medium for better than that." 

• Reply 40 of 45

My comments regarding video/TV consumption have nothing to do with politics. It has more to do with how the brain learns and retains info and information gathered by reading penetrates deeper and is retained better than information consumed via video images. Also the 150 hours the average American consumes video/TV is 150 hours a month (around 3 hours each day) they're not exercising, reading, going outdoors, enjoying the company of others (not gazing at a screen). My point is that adding the ability to consume video on every imaginable device has ceased to be considered progress and is now moving us in the the wrong direction (of consuming even more than 150 hours of video a month).