Reported AT&T vacation blackout points to Sept. 21 next-gen iPhone launch

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Coming on the heels of an identical report from Verizon, AT&T is said to be have blacked out vacation dates starting Sept. 21, hinting that Apple's anticipated next-generation iPhone will be hitting shelves that same day.

Citing an unnamed AT&T sales representative, TechCrunch reports the company has blocked employees from taking vacation from Sept. 21 to Sept. 30, the same dates blacked out by Verizon. Apple is expected to launch the sixth-generation iPhone on Sept. 21 following the handset's announcement on Sept. 12.

According to the source, AT&T employees are undergoing training for an "iconic release," though they failed to give further details regarding the matter.

Adding fuel to the rumor fire is that Sept. 21 is a Friday, a day Apple traditionally reserves for product releases following a Tuesday announcement the week prior. For example, last year the company announced the iPhone 4S on Tuesday, Oct. 4, ahead of a rollout on Friday, Oct. 14. Unlike last year's iPhone launch, however, Apple is expected to begin taking pre-orders the day the device is announced.

iPhone
Photo of alleged next-generation iPhone and the current iPhone 4S. | Source: iResQ

The news follows a number of purported parts leaks for the next-generation handset, the most recent being a video showing a side-by-side comparison of the iPhone 4S and what is believed to be the unannounced smartphone's flex cables and front plate.

The sixth-generation iPhone, which many have taken to calling the "iPhone 5," is expected to ship with a larger 4-inch screen with in-cell touch technology, uni-body design and a new 9-pin dock connector.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14

I can't believe Apple would go back to those small holes for the speaker covers instead of the wired net in the current phone. Those holes were there on the first iPhone and they got dirty very fast when the phone was in the pocket affecting the volume of the loudspeaker.

• Reply 2 of 14

Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

I can't believe Apple would go back to those small holes for the speaker covers instead of the wired net in the current phone. Those holes were there on the first iPhone and they got dirty very fast when the phone was in the pocket affecting the volume of the loudspeaker.

I always have my phone upside down in my pocket. I've never cleaned out those holes, and they don't look too dirty to me. I'd take a picture of them, but my iPhone is how I take pictures…

But wow, thinking about this takes me back to 2007 and 2008… "my speaker's broken!" image

• Reply 3 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I always have my phone upside down in my pocket. I've never cleaned out those holes, and they don't look too dirty to me. I'd take a picture of them, but my iPhone is how I take pictures…

But wow, thinking about this takes me back to 2007 and 2008… "my speaker's broken!" image

That's true for current models, no problems with loudspeaker/microphone. But on the first 2G iPhone there were those holes and they got dirty very fast. Current system works very good that's why I can't understand why would Apple go back to faulty design.

• Reply 4 of 14

That's true for current models, no problems with loudspeaker/microphone. But on the first 2G iPhone there were those holes and they got dirty very fast. Current system works very good that's why I can't understand why would Apple go back to faulty design.

Oh, that's what I'm saying; I have a first-gen and I'm not seeing much. 

• Reply 5 of 14
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Quote:

The current speaker / mic holes are too small.  Too easy to totally block with just one finger.  I frequently block the speaker when the sync cable is plugged in.  (And I'll pre-empt any possible "you're holding it wrong" responses by saying that yes, I know I'm holding it wrong when that happens.)

• Reply 6 of 14

Quote:

I've had an iP4 since launch and I never had a problem up until about 3 months ago. The ear speaker's volume got progressively lower and lower until it was very difficult to hear. Visually the screen mesh looked clean and unobstructed. I took to the Apple troubleshooting forums and the common problem turned out to be micro lint blocking the sound, with the fix being a good brushing with a hard bristled toothbrush. Instant fix. It surprised me because, like I said, visually it looked perfectly clean. I keep my phone upside-down in my back pocket facing my gluteus maximus and wear jeans 100% of the time.

There has to be some kind of additional screening behind those large holes in the purported case of the next generation iPhone. With the current fine screening, there is a certain degree of protection from water entering the case in those areas due to the properties (surface tension) of water.

• Reply 7 of 14
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Isn't this about the 3rd story saying this exact thing? We get it, announcement around the 12th and release on the 21st. 

• Reply 8 of 14

I don't know about the small holes, but the wire screens in my iPhone 4 get clogged and are difficult to clean. Wouldn't the smaller openings in the wire screens clog even faster than the holes? It seems to me that dust, sweat, and oils from your hands would seal those openings up pretty easy. Maybe it's just me and I should wash my hands more often.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    Oh, that's what I'm saying; I have a first-gen and I'm not seeing much. 

You are very contrary in verse of what you have and what you use.

You won that phone, but post towards newer models.

There are things you say you would never buy, mostly because you couldn't afford them, but post about using them.

You also post about owning so called "expensive" Apple items.

You have me confused...

I'm just saying I'm confused on this.

I have also noticed your more "gentle" nature recently. So help me understand without "lambasting" me. Is there a new word for that? I don't like that one.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

You take all your photos with a 1st gen iPhone? Damn, you must have high standards. 

• Reply 11 of 14
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    slurpy wrote: »
    You take all your photos with a 1st gen iPhone? Damn, you must have high standards. 

Really? I mean REALLY? Don't be a jerk.

Edit: You were literally, intentionally trying to be rude. That shows quite a bit about character. I have quite an exhaustive memory. I could always post on those character traits.

I love Silverperaxis! That man has debating skills mastered, and I'm a learning mind.

Edit 2: being mean for no reason is no reason to be mean.

I've never read that. I just made it up due to that post.
  • Reply 12 of 14

Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

You are very contrary in verse of what you have and what you use.

You won that phone, but post towards newer models.

There are things you say you would never buy, mostly because you couldn't afford them, but post about using them.

You also post about owning so called "expensive" Apple items.

You have me confused...

I'm just saying I'm confused on this.

I have also noticed your more "gentle" nature recently. So help me understand without "lambasting" me. Is there a new word for that? I don't like that one.

Your entire post has me confused. I've a first gen iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, iPod nano, and 6th gen iPod nano. Also a 2nd gen Apple TV I'm looking to pass to someone else, a Penryn pre-unibody MacBook Pro, and an aught nine Gainestown Mac Pro.

I've never posted about using a product I don't have unless it was in the context of getting to use one in a store. I have what I need to do what I do. I don't buy a new Mac every year because I don't have the money for it, and wouldn't if I did because I consider that wasteful. You're (not you, generic) insane if you (not you, generic) think that forbids me from commenting on more recent products than my own.

Chastise works for lambast, but I don't see a problem with the latter.

Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

Really? I mean REALLY? Don't be a jerk.

Edit: You were literally, intentionally trying to be rude. That shows quite a bit about character. I have quite an exhaustive memory. I could always post on those character traits.

Hey, as long as he's a jerk toward me and not other members, it's fine.

• Reply 13 of 14
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

We know the release date and we pretty much know the exterior dimensions. Maybe I am wrong, but I haven't seen any stories about the guts of this phone yet. How about an article on internal specs? CPU, GPU, camera, and all the other goodies. Yeah, I saw the NFC one but not too many care about that since you won't even be able to use NFC payments at 99.9% of the places you shop for a while yet. SO how about a good internal specs rumor story...

• Reply 14 of 14

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

We know the release date and we pretty much know the exterior dimensions. Maybe I am wrong, but I haven't seen any stories about the guts of this phone yet. How about an article on internal specs? CPU, GPU, camera, and all the other goodies. Yeah, I saw the NFC one but not too many care about that since you won't even be able to use NFC payments at 99.9% of the places you shop for a while yet. SO how about a good internal specs rumor story...

Exactly! People are whining already that "we already know everything about the phone" and they use the "doubling down" nonsense to claim the keynote "won't be worth watching at all", when in fact we know nothing about the phone!

Oh, and according to the latest, AT&T is denying that there is a blackout at this time. My memory fails me (always) if they've ever denied blackouts in the past that were actual blackouts. It wouldn't surprise me either way.