Samsung vows to keep fighting Apple in memo to employees

Comments

• Reply 21 of 76
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In an internal memo sent out to its employees on Monday, Samsung said it was "disappointed" to have been found guilty of patent infringement, but said the company will do its "utmost" to prevail in appeals against Apple.

The memo also states it is "regrettable" that the court's decision "caused concern among our employees, as well as our loyal customers." Apple was awarded $1.05 billion last Friday by a jury that found Samsung guilty of patent infringement.

They forgot to say that it was regrettable that their stock plunged 7% after the verdict.

• Reply 22 of 76

So now it's not just "a loss for the consumer" - now it's "a loss for the company"...I see what you did there.image

• Reply 23 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

It seems to me that Apple has actually followed the standard means of patenting their innovations and the American people (represented by the jury) has made their voice heard. This ruling has upheld patent law and has not abused it like other corporations extorting companies with their FRAND encumbered patents, or double dipping both the makers of 3G chipsets and Apple.

Dear Samsung, we don't want your innovation, because frankly.... you don't have any.  You only have over-confident lies that you hope will one day become truth if you repeat it long enough.

this 'jury' was a joke. the amount will be reduced (at the least).

• Reply 24 of 76

...'Samsung said it was "disappointed" to have been found guilty of patent infringement...'

Notice that it says 'dissappointed' but not 'surprised'.  You can't hide the obvious.

• Reply 25 of 76
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    flabber wrote: »
    I'm a bit baffled on why Samsung is confusing innovation with copying. There's nothing wrong (in my mind at least) with using ideas of someone else to spark your own innovation, and even using a similar material (like glass on the back, rounded corners or whatever) to a degree.

That is apparently Samsung's view as well. And their view of what they did. They clearly do not feel they illegally 'copied' anything that is appropriately under legal protection.

This memo is expected and is basically them saving face. Although it is fronted as an internal memo you can bet it was leaked by them on purpose so the shareholders would see it and hopefully not start a major sell off etc. But in the end they could still prove to be losers.

In fact I wouldn't shocked if Apple moves to have any or all parts of this design trademarked, much as Coke did with their glass bottle design. If they did and were successful it could lock down the look and feel even further and again force Samsung etc to actually innovate, not just replicate
  • Reply 26 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by kriskkalu View Post

This is off topic. Is anyone else having trouble browsing the mobile version of this site on iOS?

Recently it just displays a blank page when you click on a post.

I'm union iPhone 4S, iOS 5x, mobile safari.

YUP!

• Reply 27 of 76
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    maccad wrote: »
    I hope Apple stops doing business with them. They don't need them.

Unfortunately at this point that is not true. There are not yet other companies that can make the parts that Samaung produces for Apple at the volume and quality Apple needs.

Now do I think that Apple should be seeking other companies for that goal. Sure. Most definitely. And if the rumors are true, they have already started
  • Reply 28 of 76

Quote:

This is off topic. Is anyone else having trouble browsing the mobile version of this site on iOS?

I am.

• Reply 29 of 76
    sricesrice Posts: 120member

I'm having a problem accessing articles on my iPhone as well.  When I click an article I get a blank page. boo! :(

• Reply 30 of 76
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 433member

Not really surprising blog entry. It doesn't add a lot to the conversation.

I think Samsung may have had a point, throwing in the F700. Alas, their lawyers missed on that point.

Well, may wife may have the copy (S2). However, I envy her screen.

• Reply 31 of 76
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 433member

Quote:

Originally Posted by quinney View Post

They forgot to say that it was regrettable that their stock plunged 7% after the verdict.

Idiotic remark. Their stock is still up 5% compared to the day before the trial started.

• Reply 32 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The full Samsung memo to employees, posted to the company's official blog on Monday, is included below:

We initially proposed to negotiate with Apple instead of going to court, as they had been one of our most important customers. However, Apple pressed on with a lawsuit, and we have had little choice but to counter-sue, so that we can protect our company.

Samsung is such a noble company...Oh...and always utterly altruistic .... Oh... Oh...

(I am slowly dissolving in my tears)

Oh....Oh.... 

And now there is no more innovation.. Oh.... and the poor consumers.....Oh

image image image

(actually, I wanted to paste a crying emoticon, but the choices have become a little thin as of lately)

• Reply 33 of 76
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

Apple has already been working on a way to replace Samsung components.  Samsung is going to get the IBM/Google treatment.  When you screw with Apple you wind up screwed in the end.

• Reply 34 of 76
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

If the mods don't mind, I'll quote this. 

• Reply 35 of 76
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member

Samsung: shut up! Innovate or pay!

• Reply 36 of 76
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Idiotic remark. Their stock is still up 5% compared to the day before the trial started.

That's a bit harsh. He is correct that the stock fell sharply after the verdict - its biggest one day fall in 4 years. You think that is irrelevant somehow?

• Reply 37 of 76
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jestrada View Post

...'Samsung said it was "disappointed" to have been found guilty of patent infringement...'

Notice that it says 'dissappointed' but not 'surprised'.  You can't hide the obvious.

Nor did they say "apologetic." They're sorry only that they got caught.

But we should also recognize that that in the large Korean corporate groups, known as the 'chaebols,' there's a different business ethic. First loyalty is to the company, and pretty much any conduct that advances the company's interests is considered fair and normal. Even 25+ years ago when I used to go to Korea on business we knew never to leave our briefcases or any confidential documents behind in the customer's conference room during lunch or plant tours. We all understood that someone would go through our papers if we did.

• Reply 38 of 76
    ko024ko024 Posts: 68member

Quote:

Yes, I am having that same issue... whats going on...???  Also, ever since this website recently changed their template I can read the replies great for the first three and then it increased in size so that I can no longer view the replies without having to scroll to the right... on my iphone that is... really annoying.....

• Reply 39 of 76

I'm not a fan of the interface-formerly-known-as-Metro or the Surface noteablet, but they sure don't look like iOS, an iPhone, or iPad. 

• Reply 40 of 76
    ko024ko024 Posts: 68member

Quote:

And just to be clear, this is happening on my iphone only...  When I use either the first, second, or third generation iPads, I can view the articles just fine.  But when I open the article with my iPhone4 there is a blank page.....,...